reheat chicken fried rice in microwave?

Following day?

Yes or no. Is it safe?
If it’s been properly stored you’ll be fine. If it’s sat out at room temperature for an extended period of time I’d give it a miss.

The issue comes from a bacteria that lives naturally in rice, that isn’t readily killed by heat.

Guidelines call for rice to be reheated only once and as fried rice is typically cooked, allowed to cool and then reheated when it’s fried it looks as though you’re over the recommended amount of reheats. That said, I’ve only been down with the shits from dodgy rice once over the years and have reheated fried rice many times. Depends on whether you feel lucky.

Last edited:
Following day?

Yes or no. Is it safe?
The amount of times I've reheated a chinese the next day or later at night if I couldn't finish it, has to be well over 100 times in my life and 90% of that time the meal's been made up of been part fried rice, because I love it.

I know you get told it's dodgy and what not but I can honestly say I've only ever had a few gut aches after eating takeaways but way less than the gut aches that I've had after eating a sunday dinner, fresh, or other foods, fresh.... and even the chinese eaten, fresh.
And weirdly I could put that down to the drink (when I did drink)...or too spicy etc.

Here's what I will say to you.
If your house is a warm house then don't leave your half eaten Chinese/fried rice or any other leftovers in a warm area, put them in the fridge, sealed up... and that way any bacteria won't spread... it'll go dormant or extremely slow in spreading; not enough to do anything.... and nothing your guts can't sort out.

Just remember one thing: All the fried rice and stuff you have eaten has given your sentry bacteria in your gut the required info to send in the cavalry the second the terrorists come charging in , then destroy them once in there.

If you could get a super magnifying glass and open up your stomach after eating this stuff you'll see a battlefield of fried rice invaders laid dead with sword holes, lance holes, machine gun bullet holes and all the rest of the weaponry that the troops have unleashed, leaving the commanders of those fighting forces your gut employs, enjoying a nice cigar and a drop of whisky around the table, all praising each other on another job well done.

Ok I might have went a bit overboard with a story but you get the gist, right? :)

Got a bad bad explosive arse in China Town in Bangkok that I put down to them reheating a clam rice they didn't serve with the rest of the grub.
Fuck it, reheat it you only live once.

Every couple of weeks i take the leftover Chinese to work on the monday from sunday night. Fried rice noodles egg foo yung and curry sauce. Nuke it the next day for dinner and its fine. I am too.

Best thing to do is measure out 10mls of boiling water from the kettle, pour it over the rice and put it in a container in the microwave for 3 minutes on high, stir it, and then another three minutes.

Then, carefully remove the lid and chuck the lot in the bin you scratter.

Back