Refund policies from high Street retailers.

Ladsfan78

Goalkeeper
My girlfriend bought a dress from a shop in town but later noticed the stitching had come away from the neck line. She took the dress back but they said they only do exchanges or credit notes. Can shops do this or does she have the right yo a refund? The dress is unworn and it was only 3 days ago she bought it. Any advice would be much appreciated.

My girlfriend bought a dress from a shop in town but later noticed the stitching had come away from the neck line. She took the dress back but they said they only do exchanges or credit notes. Can shops do this or does she have the right yo a refund? The dress is unworn and it was only 3 days ago she bought it. Any advice would be much appreciated.
She left the tags on and ripped it at wembo didn't she...

Can they not just give her another one of the same dress?

She's entitled to a full refund under the Consumer Rights Act. Tell her to go back and ask for a refund and tell her to quote her rights if they try and fob her off.

Loads of places try these sorts of tricks now unfortunately. Just have to know your rights and double down on them.

Go back and demand to see the manager, a refund for faulty goods is non negotiable.

If she’s changed her mind then the exchange or credit note offer would apply.

She left the tags on and ripped it at wembo didn't she...
I nearly ripped the pocket off my Belstaff jacket leaving the stadium, it was tied around my waist and the pocket caught on the hand rail, f***ing gutted. It's away getting fixed now. Weekend cost me a bastard fortune, worth it like :lol:

If you are forceful enough they will give you a refund in any case. I once bought my son a pair of football boots in Fat Mike’s then saw them for £10 cheaper next door in JD Sports. Despite it being against their policy the Manager have me a refund in the end just to get rid of me :lol:

She's 100% entitled to a refund as it's faulty. Even if it wasn't and she had just changed her mind, I'm pretty sure she still has rights to a refund up until a certain date after purchace (usually 28 days or so?).

Bought a couple of pairs of football trainers the other day as didn’t have time to try them on so got two sizes. Is it right that Sports Direct don’t offer refunds?! That’s illegal surely?

She's 100% entitled to a refund as it's faulty. Even if it wasn't and she had just changed her mind, I'm pretty sure she still has rights to a refund up until a certain date after purchace (usually 28 days or so?).

Not in stores, they're within their rights to only offer credit note.

Bought online or catalogue, you've got a 14 day cooling period for returns

Even if it wasn't and she had just changed her mind, I'm pretty sure she still has rights to a refund up until a certain date after purchace (usually 28 days or so?).

Not if you buy it from a shop in person. They don't have to give you a refund or a credit note for changing your mind. Any shops that do offer that are doing it purely for goodwill as they're not legally obligated to do so.

If she' just changed her mind then she doesn't have the right to a refund.
If it's faulty she doesn't necessarily have the right to a refund if the product was, for example, in the 'sale' and she was aware of the fault when she bought it and then changed her mind.

If you are forceful enough they will give you a refund in any case. I once bought my son a pair of football boots in Fat Mike’s then saw them for £10 cheaper next door in JD Sports. Despite it being against their policy the Manager have me a refund in the end just to get rid of me :lol:
No chance would you be getting a refund off me like. You made your choice in the first place, unlucky its somewhere else cheaper.

Mind you I don't work in a shop so you're perfectly safe :)

Back