Refereeing advice?

the fines are bigger if get 2 sin bins in same game , might as well be sent off thing is dont go down on paper so false stats

Are you talking from a players perspective or a referees perspective?

From a referees perspective, because the sin bin was introduced purely to deal with dissent towards the officials the majority of refs that I know who have used it say that it has the right desired effects
Like I say, I've only used it once this season with a problem player who's well known for his behavior in the league I ref in at the moment and he spat his dummy out and went off home in a huff anyway (it was the 78th minute, they were 6-1 up so didn't really have much affect) but refs have found that once they have sin binned the first player, the other players are learning fast that this ref isn't taking any shit so aren't as quick to get on his back which is what the sin-bin was basically brought in to do.

From a fines perspective, despite being shown a yellow when you're sin binned you don't get a fine like you would for a normal booking (usually around £10) but if you commit more dissent either when you're on the touchline or when you're back on the pitch you will receive a second yellow but you can be substituted.

Last edited:
The boy just had his first game in charge on Saturday. He did ok-ish but couldn’t get a mentor to give him feedback. It’s looking like mentors are harder to find than refs so any tips will be greatly appreciated 👍

I didnt start reffing until i was in my 30s when i stopped playing, so hats off to him for starting so early. Having been a late-starter I did wish I'd done it earlier as i thoroughly enjoyed it. I think the main thing at that age is to be fully supported and encouraged 100%. He needs to be confident in all his decision making, he'll have good games and bad games. The key is to be not too down when you've had a bad'un', equally if you have a cracking game dont go the other way either. Stay level- headed.

Are you talking from a players perspective or a referees perspective?

From a referees perspective, because the sin bin was introduced purely to deal with dissent towards the officials the majority of refs that I know who have used it say that it has the right desired effects
Like I say, I've only used it once this season with a problem player who's well known for his behavior in the league I ref in at the moment and he spat his dummy out and went off home in a huff anyway (it was the 78th minute, they were 6-1 up so didn't really have much affect) but refs have found that once they have sin binned the first player, the other players are learning fast that this ref isn't taking any shit so aren't as quick to get on his back which is what the sin-bin was basically brought in to do.

From a fines perspective, despite being shown a yellow when you're sin binned you don't get a fine like you would for a normal booking (usually around £10) but if you commit more dissent either when you're on the touchline or when you're back on the pitch you will receive a second yellow but you can be substituted.
from the players point sin bin yellow sinbin comes to about £40 have payed the fine to dcfa myself for a player. also seen the stats lot more sin bins .applaud the young ref who was asaulted in the county cup game also from a sunday league player from sunderland ,he is now finding his feet again and also grabbing hold of the game from the off.
Is your son a member of a referees' association? if not he should join one. Contact the RA online.
sedgefields referees' association is a cany one if contact ask for billy carter

Last edited:
Don't know about the lads but my 15 year old daughter is doing her refereeing course as a CPD funded by the FOL so she gets advice from the lass who runs it who's FIFA listed I'm pretty sure. She officiated her first U7 friendly the other week and was doing pretty well until a kid swore at her. But overall she enjoys it and gets good money for a youngun

Back