Refereeing advice?

The boy just had his first game in charge on Saturday. He did ok-ish but couldn’t get a mentor to give him feedback. It’s looking like mentors are harder to find than refs so any tips will be greatly appreciated 👍

The boy just had his first game in charge on Saturday. He did ok-ish but couldn’t get a mentor to give him feedback. It’s looking like mentors are harder to find than refs so any tips will be greatly appreciated 👍
get him to ref a game for us in League 1 and he will get plenty advice on here:lol:
Nearly all the ones we have had so far were more in need of a minder than mentor!

get him to ref a game for us in League 1 and he will get plenty advice on here:lol:
Nearly all the ones we have had so far were more in need of a minder than mentor!
🤣 He rants about every ref when he’s playing for his team but he said the worst thing about it was having to make a split second decision. I was watching from the sidelines and I was errr fuck knars for half the throw ins. It’s a shit job for an adult never mind a 14 year old trying to make some pocket money. I was infinitely more stressed than watching him play and he’s a goalkeeper.
I'd refer him to Google maps as it makes things easier to find.
I could refer you to an English teacher but i won't.... sorry
Bollocks, I obviously spelled it wrong and autocorrect just pushed its dirty little finger up my bum 😩🤣

Last edited:
It's a tough gig. Much harder than playing. Presumably he undertook a course before his first game? The folks running the course could probably tell him who is out there a helpful.

It's a tough gig. Much harder than playing. Presumably he undertook a course before his first game? The folks running the course could probably tell him who is out there a helpful.
Yeah, 2 days then he needs 5 under 12 games under his belt before the next stage. They’re meant to get a mentor but 3 weeks of trying to get one with no result meant he had to get into the bear pit alone. He was shitting himself bless him.

Yeah, 2 days then he needs 5 under 12 games under his belt before the next stage. They’re meant to get a mentor but 3 weeks of trying to get one with no result meant he had to get into the bear pit alone. He was shitting himself bless him.

Unfortunately I'm out of ideas then other than what you are already doing (asking around). Good to know he had the courage to do it.

🤣 He rants about every ref when he’s playing for his team but he said the worst thing about it was having to make a split second decision. I was watching from the sidelines and I was errr fuck knars for half the throw ins. It’s a shit job for an adult never mind a 14 year old trying to make some pocket money. I was infinitely more stressed than watching him play and he’s a goalkeeper.

Bollocks, I obviously spelled it wrong and autocorrect just pushed its dirty little finger up my bum 😩🤣
am a ref myself, tell him take a few seconds longer to digest what hes just seen, thing is nowadays kids are fast tracked into asking for promotion to.sunday games have lost so many over the last few years and need more and more.

Which FA is he working for? I find that male referees tend not to get a mentor due to the push to get women into the higher leagues

Spelling refereeing correctly would be a good start... :lol: ;)

Tell him to get to a few sunday morning games and watch how Refs deal with the morning after the night before...might help...

Back