Redundancy

Status
Not open for further replies.
if they make you redundancy because a down turn in business but then promote some one into that job a few weeks later is this legal
I always thought that the rule was that the position was been made redundant therefore if they was no need for the role why promote someone to do the same job

All they have to do is alter name/ job description/ role slightly and hard to prove the case

if they make you redundancy because a down turn in business but then promote some one into that job a few weeks later is this legal
I always thought that the rule was that the position was been made redundant therefore if they was no need for the role why promote someone to do the same job
Real ale and craft beer drinkers is clearly the way to go

Did you not get a good deal?

I always thought redundancy was an opportunity not a bad thing.
not nowadays. limited to a max of 490 per unit of what ever they pay you. IE for one payment per year of service is 1 x 490 rather than 1 x current weeks wage per year. Think they are trying a sweetener at our place at the minute because it`s limited by offering three months gardening leave as your notice on top of your payout

Yes it's illegal. They make the position redundant not the person.

You in a union?

Tell the fuckers that the position has to be made redundant NOT the man.
If they change the job title, then they are f***ing you about, and you could see this as constructive dismissal. Let them know this, see what they say.
But at the end of the day, if they are cants with you now, they will be in the future, so think about getting a deal off of them and look for pastures new.

not nowadays. limited to a max of 490 per unit of what ever they pay you. IE for one payment per year of service is 1 x 490 rather than 1 x current weeks wage per year. Think they are trying a sweetener at our place at the minute because it`s limited by offering three months gardening leave as your notice on top of your payout

Depends on your contract, loads of places pay multiple x weekly salary per year.

If staff have been reallocated then it could still be a valid redundancy if there's been an overall reduction in headcount. It's very difficult to prove, the good news is Employment Tribunals are free again and cost a company around £7-£8k to deal with, appeal/complain and go down the tribunal route, at least you'll cost them a few quid for being a bunch of twats! With a bit of luck they might pay you compensation to shut up.

Last edited:
Did you not get a good deal?

I always thought redundancy was an opportunity not a bad thing.

I took it, didn't get a fantastic deal, but was totally my choice they wanted to keep me.

Got like 3 months salary a sweetner on top plus notice in lieu

I want to to abroad for a bit, so works for me.

Can't say I am not shitting myself slightly like, as I am, hopefully it works out

My wife was going through a lot recently with her father dying, ultimately he died and the company she was working for was putting her under massive pressure and claiming she wasn't doing her job properly, putting her on PIP etc. (after 8 years she's all of a sudden doing things wrong to what they wanted). So she looked for and found a new job and wrote her resignation letter and took it into work only to be told there was a big meeting the following week, so she held back in handing it in, at the meeting 33 people were then made redundant including her. So it had nothing to with her not doing the job correctly, more them trying to push her over the edge (knowing that her father was dying and she wasn't thinking straight and had to take time off to see him and grieve), basically they were trying make her quit as they knew it would cost them to get rid of her.

She finishes work this Friday and starts her new job on Monday with a decent redundancy payout and once the money is in the bank we're going after them for attempted constructive dismissal and stress.

My wife was going through a lot recently with her father dying, ultimately he died and the company she was working for was putting her under massive pressure and claiming she wasn't doing her job properly, putting her on PIP etc. (after 8 years she's all of a sudden doing things wrong to what they wanted). So she looked for and found a new job and wrote her resignation letter and took it into work only to be told there was a big meeting the following week, so she held back in handing it in, at the meeting 33 people were then made redundant including her. So it had nothing to with her not doing the job correctly, more them trying to push her over the edge (knowing that her father was dying and she wasn't thinking straight and had to take time off to see him and grieve), basically they were trying make her quit as they knew it would cost them to get rid of her.

She finishes work this Friday and starts her new job on Monday with a decent redundancy payout and once the money is in the bank we're going after them for attempted constructive dismissal and stress.

Sounds like they did her a favour, they could have let her resign and miss out on a redundancy payment.

Why mate? Don't you think you and your wife have been through enough?
She got a lumper, a new job and hopefully you're all starting to move on.
Why put yourselves under the stress and pressure of a court case that will be very very difficult to prove.
My brother did something similar recently, spent thousands on solicitor fees and eventually walked away from it all because it was putting him and his family under so much stress... all just to prove the company was in the wrong.
I'd seriously think long and hard about it and if it's worth it. Money isn't everything and nor is proving right from wrong in a work environment.

Yes it's illegal. They make the position redundant not the person.

You in a union?
I have to add that I was made redundant and my job was split up and divvied around 3 people. The job didn't disappear but I did. The union wasn't any use whatsoever and they knew what was happening.

I have to add that I was made redundant and my job was split up and divvied around 3 people. The job didn't disappear but I did. The union wasn't any use whatsoever and they knew what was happening.

Nowt illegal about that mate, text book redundancy situation, headcount reduction, less people doing the same job.

Nowt illegal about that mate, text book redundancy situation, headcount reduction, less people doing the same job.
It was a totally different job to what they were doing - not similar duties etc. I was hiring out 3 venues for events. The venues were split up and shared out amongst people doing totally different jobs.

It was a totally different job to what they were doing - not similar duties etc. I was hiring out 3 venues for events. The venues were split up and shared out amongst people doing totally different jobs.
Doesn't matter, your work has to go somewhere. Divvying up a role is what generally happens.

I tried like mad to get redundancy in my last job. 2 weeks for each year at actual rate and contractual notice as Pilon.

Would have got 25 weeks. Tax and NI free up to 30k.

They wouldn't give it me. I knew I was leaving too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back