Redundancy quick question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flip

Winger
Reet - I'm getting peddled but have already found a new job - go me. However my new company want me ata management day to meet the team etc. I don't really want to take a holiday does the employer need to let me go? Or do I need to tell some lie?

Cheers
Simon

Reet - I'm getting peddled but have already found a new job - go me. However my new company want me ata management day to meet the team etc. I don't really want to take a holiday does the employer need to let me go? Or do I need to tell some lie?

Cheers
Simon
They're supposed to give you reasonable time off to look for a new job, and to interview etc. Not sure what this would be classed as. Could just tell them it's an interview like.

Not that I'm aware of - funny question?

Sickie isn't really my style in case I ever come back - I might just tell the truth and see what falls out
Just so we're clear - you are being made redundant but have secured a new job? Have you told them that? When do you leave/start job? Are you resigning, or taking the redundancy before starting the new job?

As you are in a period of "consultation" then the employer is legally obliged to give you "reasonable" time off for interviews - so, you could state that you have an interview that day.
Secondly, as you are leaving you could state there is little point in attending a Management Day (you could suggest it#'s unfair to expect you to attend such a day given your situation) but beware - some employers might treat you differently if you are seen as a "bad leaver" - don't know if the package you have been awarded is bare legal minimum or enhanced in any way, but if it's the latter then they could seek to reduce it if you (in their eyes) refuse to conduct yourself accordingly during your final days of employment - that's a bit drastic, but I have seen it happen

Cheers
Simon

Go Simon

Just so we're clear - you are being made redundant but have secured a new job? Have you told them that? When do you leave/start job? Are you resigning, or taking the redundancy before starting the new job?

As you are in a period of "consultation" then the employer is legally obliged to give you "reasonable" time off for interviews - so, you could state that you have an interview that day.
Secondly, as you are leaving you could state there is little point in attending a Management Day (you could suggest it#'s unfair to expect you to attend such a day given your situation) but beware - some employers might treat you differently if you are seen as a "bad leaver" - don't know if the package you have been awarded is bare legal minimum or enhanced in any way, but if it's the latter then they could seek to reduce it if you (in their eyes) refuse to conduct yourself accordingly during your final days of employment - that's a bit drastic, but I have seen it happen
I'm pretty sure the management day is at his new place like. :lol:

Cheers
Simon

Tell them it's an interview and they have to let you go

Well I was up front and honest ish and said although it looked like I had it they want me to come over and meet the team and if it went wrong I'd lose the job - which is actually probably true. Surprisingly my boss agreed said it was important and told me to get myself along....

Will you be getting paid for this management day?

Don't matter seen your previous post.good luck

I would go with saying you need time off to secure new employment as per the rules on making someone redundant and don't be any more specific than that.
Legally they have to give you reasonable time off, a minimum of 40% of one average week off, paid. Anything additional is upto them and may or may not be paid.

Get on gov.uk redundancy section and if they give you any shit, stick the legal stuff right in their face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back