Redditors gave Wall Street traders an absolute pasting

Is this where their massive cash pile came from, share issuance and such?

Don't blame them mind for taking advantage and building a fat balance sheet.
No.
It was a split*. Not dilution**.
They did sell some extra stock when the price was veryhigh. But then bought back essentially the same amount when the price fell back. They have been intermittently doing stock buy backs too including holding a pot of money for future buybacks at their will.
And the entire board have been buying a lot of stock too.

*It was actually supposed to be a dividend in the form of additional stock. i.e. to flush out the "fake" shares that we all know exist. But the CFO fucked up the forms and it all went to shit. He was fired the next day. So essentially it became a 4:1 split.

** AMC stock was often mentioned in the same breath as GME. But AMC diluted the ever loving fuck out of their shares to raise funds. They are an entirely different beast.

No.
They did sell some extra stock when the price was veryhigh. But then bought back essentially the same amount when the price fell back. They have been intermittently doing stock buy backs too including holding a pot of money for future buybacks at their will.

*It was actually supposed to be a dividend in the form of additional stock. i.e. to flush out the "fake" shares that we all know exist. But the CFO fucked up the forms and it all went to shit. He was fired the next day. So essentially it became a 4:1 split.

** AMC stock was often mentioned in the same breath as GME. But AMC diluted the ever loving fuck out of their shares to raise funds. They are an entirely different beast.

No.

Just had a quick Google and it suggests they sold 5m of stock in 2021 for over 1B, but can't find anything of them buying back that amount of shares. It's smart mind, to have such a huge cash reserve with minimal debt while interest rates are where they are.

I'm just not sure how they're going to really progress actual sales long term - has their entire model changed?

Just had a quick Google and it suggests they sold 5m of stock in 2021 for over 1B, but can't find anything of them buying back that amount of shares. It's smart mind, to have such a huge cash reserve with minimal debt while interest rates are where they are.

I'm just not sure how they're going to really progress actual sales long term - has their entire model changed?
Something like 300m shares outstanding iirc. So 5m isn't significant dilution really.
They have been doing buy backs though. They had to put the request out to the shareholders to vote on at least twice. There's a pot outstanding today they can pull the trigger on whenever they want to. I think its about $100m worth.

$1.13b from 5m shares - price was $226 each. That's pre split - so at today's prices that's $57 each.
Now trading at around $20 and I see GME have bought back 8.5m shares since they originally sold the 5m. But remember, that's a 4:1 ratio, so you can say its 8.5m out of 20m.

Something like 300m shares outstanding iirc. So 5m isn't significant dilution really.
They have been doing buy backs though. They had to put the request out to the shareholders to vote on at least twice. There's a pot outstanding today they can pull the trigger on whenever they want to. I think its about $100m worth.

$1.13b from 5m shares - price was $226 each. That's pre split - so at today's prices that's $57 each.
Now trading at around $20 and I see GME have bought back 8.5m shares since they originally sold the 5m. But remember, that's a 4:1 ratio, so you can say its 8.5m out of 20m.

No, not suggesting the 5m shares they sold is big dilution, but a big factor in their huge cash reserves. They'll still have to work very hard to actually continue to improve operating profitability, but no debt in a high interest environment will at least give them the best environment to try and achieve that. Can't find anything on them buying back 8.5m shares after the 5m they sold mind?

No, not suggesting the 5m shares they sold is big dilution, but a big factor in their huge cash reserves. They'll still have to work very hard to actually continue to improve operating profitability, but no debt in a high interest environment will at least give them the best environment to try and achieve that. Can't find anything on them buying back 8.5m shares after the 5m they sold mind?
They announced the completion of a share buy back about 3-6 months ago. The timelines are fuzzy, somehow this whole thing is about 3 years old!

Looks like they'll break about even for FY2023 overall, which is amazing really given the costs they've faced in the restructure. Seems like its coming to an end now, and running the business as-is is pretty much now.

I suspect they'll buy another company soon with that cash pile. There's all sorts of rumours flying around.

Oh, and in 2019 they bought back about 25% of the outstanding shares for about $100m. So selling a measly 5m shares and making a billion is pretty good work :)

Last edited:
They announced the completion of a share buy back about 3-6 months ago. The timelines are fuzzy, somehow this whole thing is about 3 years old!

Looks like they'll break about even for FY2023 overall, which is amazing really given the costs they've faced in the restructure. Seems like its coming to an end now, and running the business as-is is pretty much now.

I suspect they'll buy another company soon with that cash pile. There's all sorts of rumours flying around.

Oh, and in 2019 they bought back about 25% of the outstanding shares for about $100m. So selling a measly 5m shares and making a billion is pretty good work :)

Oh indeed, as I've said several times mind. Just can't see any evidence online that they have repurchased shares since selling the 5m. Not saying it's not buried away in some SEC filings, but you'd imagine it to be easy to find on Google given the entire saga.

Ironically, they could probably buy a majority stake in credit Suisse in cash with that pile they've got :lol:

Oh indeed, as I've said several times mind. Just can't see any evidence online that they have repurchased shares since selling the 5m. Not saying it's not buried away in some SEC filings, but you'd imagine it to be easy to find on Google given the entire saga.

Ironically, they could probably buy a majority stake in credit Suisse in cash with that pile they've got :lol:
There was an announcement, I just can't remember when it was or am I able to find it on google. Mind, any good news about GME tends to not make MSM for *some* reason....

There was an announcement, I just can't remember when it was or am I able to find it on google. Mind, any good news about GME tends to not make MSM for *some* reason....

Where did they announce it, if it's invisible to the internet? Not trying to be a dick, I just genuinely can't see any evidence that they did as you asserted earlier. Still improved the health of the company massively on the back of the whole saga.

Regarding the 'MSM' stuff, Googling the name of the company alone brings up articles about their positive earnings from Bloomberg, CNBC, Forbes and Wall Street Journal.

Where did they announce it, if it's invisible to the internet? Not trying to be a dick, I just genuinely can't see any evidence that they did as you asserted earlier. Still improved the health of the company massively on the back of the whole saga.

Regarding the 'MSM' stuff, Googling the name of the company alone brings up articles about their positive earnings from Bloomberg, CNBC, Forbes and Wall Street Journal.
IIRC it was in one of their quartley SEC filings.
IIRC it was in one of their quartley SEC filings.
I'm still trying to find the detail. Could be that I'm confused of course.

I'm reading
2019 34.6mil bought for $179m, then 2 years later they sold 8.5mil for $1.68bn - so that's where all the debt got paid off and where the bil cash on hand comes from. (NB, those are pre-split volumes)

I think I've mixed up the voting requests to have a pot of cash available ($100m ~5mil shares) to repurchase shares with it actually being executed, possibly at the time time Ryan Cohen buying up 37million of the shares himself (post split volumes). Sounds like that's where my mistake it.

But I suppose the major shareholder buying vs the company itself buying is fairly similar in terms of outcomes. They have the same goal and the outstanding shares are affected in the same way.
Good questioning, mind. Always best to get facts rather than half-remembered half-truths :)
Lo and behold, financial results absolutely crush the forecasts, yet at market open the shareprice tanks. Always the same.
Bad news - price drops
Good news - price drops

Obviously short selling, which will be born out in the data in the next few days of course.

Last edited:

Back