Redby school

Cheating at SATs and results annulled. Monkwearmouth head teacher gone this week (executive director of the trust that runs both schools).

School has SATs results annulled

What the craic there?

Sunderland primary schools as a whole have some of the best results in the country, by end of secondary they don't progress as expected and the secondaries are apparently some of the worst in the country in terms of progress..........Primary schools dont have external invigilation of exams, secondary schools do.....What do you think might be happening here?:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Apparently the schools results placed it into the countries top 10.
They should have throttled back on the cheating a bit to stay under the radar.

Sunderland primary schools as a whole are seen as a real success story, some of the best in the country, never carries through to secondary, hmmmmm, wonder what is going on ;)

BTW this is not a Redby school problem, they just got caught......This is definitely a Sunderland problem and I would argue probably a nationwide problem.......Anybody who has worked in secondary knows that the results that kids come in to secondary with literally bear no relation to the reality of a kids ability......The difficulty is proving it as by definition unless somebody bubbles then nobody finds out.

Last edited:
Sunderland primary schools as a whole have some of the best results in the country, by end of secondary they don't progress as expected and the secondaries are apparently some of the worst in the country in terms of progress..........Primary schools dont have external invigilation of exams, secondary schools do.....What do you think might be happening here?:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sunderland primary schools as a whole are seen as a real success story, some of the best in the country, never carries through to secondary, hmmmmm, wonder what is going on ;)

BTW this is not a Redby school problem, they just got caught......This is definitely a Sunderland problem and I would argue probably a nationwide problem.......Anybody who has worked in secondary knows that the results that kids come in to secondary with literally bear no relation to the reality of a kids ability......The difficulty is proving it as by definition unless somebody bubbles then nobody finds out.[/QUOTE

No argument from me re. cheating being a nationwide problem. Sugar and spice teachers cheating whatever next.

The problem is caused mainly by yr2 teachers inflating the results. This means teachers in 3,4, and 5 are expected to maintain this fantastic progress. When the SATs come round in yr6 the school is in jeopardy if they don't achieve in relation to the yr2 expectations. The staff are under pressure, so results are often made better by nefarious means. Parents want their kids to 'pass' the SATs despite Secondary schools having to do this own tests due to the works of fiction they often are.

The problem is caused mainly by yr2 teachers inflating the results. This means teachers in 3,4, and 5 are expected to maintain this fantastic progress. When the SATs come round in yr6 the school is in jeopardy if they don't achieve in relation to the yr2 expectations. The staff are under pressure, so results are often made better by nefarious means. Parents want their kids to 'pass' the SATs despite Secondary schools having to do this own tests due to the works of fiction they often are.
The problem spirals all the way up to the end of secondary schools as they are expected to show 3-4 levels of progress from the end of key stage 2. This puts secondary teachers under huge pressure if they start key stage 3 with an already inflated level.

Whole system is a joke , kids under 10 sitting exams , teachers bending the rules to get better results for the school ofsted reports , makes no sense . Kids shouldn’t be under exam Pressure until in their teens , should only have to worry about the school bully

This problem is confined to infants schools mainly

All through primaries are more likely to under grade due to progress issues in Y6

Before academies and Ofsted maybe it was. A lot of older teachers tell me it was great in the 80s and 90s.

Ofsted not problem in my view. Pointless testing which are not in child’s best interests are. SATs are in no way important for individuals like GCSE
SATs are a way of checking primary schools are teaching well. There are plenty of other ways to do it but its all down to trust.

Last edited:
There's a rule that's applicable in most walks of life where as soon as a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
Targets and objectives tend to drive the wrong behaviours and the same parents that think it is terrible that their kids have to suffer these exams will be quick to judge schools based on the results and will be all over social media if their child does well.

BTW this is not a Redby school problem, they just got caught......This is definitely a Sunderland problem and I would argue probably a nationwide problem.......Anybody who has worked in secondary knows that the results that kids come in to secondary with literally bear no relation to the reality of a kids ability......The difficulty is proving it as by definition unless somebody bubbles then nobody finds out.

definitely just not a sunderland problem, it is more spread than that

I do think you have summed it up pretty well though.

I also have sympathy with the argument re sats in primary schools. However there was a massive issue years ago that childrens progress was not being recorded properly or not at all and standards varied from across the country. hence a standardised test.

I also have a lot of sympathy with the argument that the bulk of sats requirements, including all the paperwork that goes with it, falls at the very bottom of the tree and they are the very ones who are holding that tree up

This problem is confined to infants schools mainly

All through primaries are more likely to under grade due to progress issues in Y6

Ofsted not problem in my view. Pointless testing which are not in child’s best interests are. SATs are in no way important for individuals like GCSE
SATs are a way of checking primary schools are teaching well. There are plenty of other ways to do it but its all down to trust.
In order to satisfy ofsted and keep them off a schools back you need to have good results. Hence why schools go to desperate measures to achieve them.

Back