Red Bull

If they moved then to Milton Keynes then yeah, they would still have been derided. That was the issue, not that they were taken over.
So you can change the name of the team, the colour of the kit, the name of the ground, wipe out the history of the club, and ban fans who might think any of that is a bad thing, but the line is drawn at moving the club. Glad that's cleared up.

We shouldn't need to sell our club soul to the Red Bull devil to get out of this shit.
Absolutely this. I’d be fine with some aspects of it but name change and extensive kit change would be beyond what I’d accept. However, the truth is what they do isn’t rocket science. Donald et al should have been capable of approximating what red bull have done. They simply lack the knowledge and curiosity to look about, though. They’re successful in their other businesses so I can only assume it’s a choice to take such an outdated path to building a club. I think that it’s their love of terrace atmosphere that’s the root of it. They seem in love with a sepia tinged view of football that simply doesn’t work any more.

So you can change the name of the team, the colour of the kit, the name of the ground, wipe out the history of the club, and ban fans who might think any of that is a bad thing, but the line is drawn at moving the club. Glad that's cleared up.
Nobody changed MK’s kit colours. If Wimbledon were taken over and moved to a new stadium in London without a name change nobody would have bat an eyelid and we wouldn’t have had AFC Wimbledon because it wouldn’t have been needed.

If we were taken over by Red Bull, we’d be Red Bull Sunderland and everyone would still call us Sunderland. The history of the club would still be there, we’d still be wearing red and white (which are the Red Bull colours albeit we might not have the stripes although after the last fee home kits that might not be a bad thing), and having a sponsored ground name is nothing new in British football.

Id much rather RB took over an existing club here rather than trying to start a new one (like they effectively did in Germany and Brazil), and it may as well be us.

Last edited:
Nobody changed MK’s kit colours. If Wimbledon were taken over and moved to a new stadium in London without a name change nobody would have bat an eyelid and we wouldn’t have had AFC Wimbledon because it wouldn’t have been needed.

If we were taken over by Red Bull, we’d be Red Bull Sunderland and everyone would still call us Sunderland. The history of the club would still be there, we’d still be wearing red and white (which are the Red Bull colours albeit we might not have the stripes although after the last fee home kits that might not be a bad thing), and having a sponsored ground name is nothing new in British football.

Id much rather RB took over an existing club here rather than trying to start a new one (like they effectively did in Germany and Brazil), and it may as well be us.
I fucked up in my first post, meant to reference RB Salzberg, not Leipzig. Bringing MK Dons into it was more the point that it was seen as the worst thing a club could do, moving from one city to another, creating a franchise model and all that. When they took over Austria Salzberg Red Bull did change the club colours, the club name, wiped out the history and banned a load of fans who spoke out against it. Pretty much the only thing they didn't do was move the club. For me I don't see how what MK Dons did is awful but what RB did is fine.

The name wouldn't change tho would it? The same as Hull not being able to call themselves the Tigers. I'd welcome anyone at the moment as I have no faith in the current owners. So it's a yes from me

Absolutely this. I’d be fine with some aspects of it but name change and extensive kit change would be beyond what I’d accept. However, the truth is what they do isn’t rocket science. Donald et al should have been capable of approximating what red bull have done. They simply lack the knowledge and curiosity to look about, though. They’re successful in their other businesses so I can only assume it’s a choice to take such an outdated path to building a club. I think that it’s their love of terrace atmosphere that’s the root of it. They seem in love with a sepia tinged view of football that simply doesn’t work any more.
Red bull see it as a commitment and success as a validation of their marketing not a clever manoeuvre like Donald. Why would he look at their model ? Maybe the new input will lean him further that way

Red bull see it as a commitment and success as a validation of their marketing not a clever manoeuvre like Donald. Why would he look at their model ? Maybe the new input will lean him further that way
We live in hope but I just don’t see it from him. We don’t appear to have any deep thinkers when it comes to first team operations at Sunderland - least of all Donald. I think the only way we go down that sort of route is if we fail on our current path - as I expect us to tbh - and Donald is gradually/rapidly removed by FPP once/if they take an ownership position.

With 8k there at the weekend I'm sure being called RB sunlun wouldn't bother ayone if it meant getting out of this shit.

Wouldn’t bother me in the slightest. Imagine being so hung on keeping an arbitrary name that you’d give up potential national and European success.

They could change our name to Always in Newcastle’s Shadow FC if it means I see us win something before I die

Back