Recommendations for Australia

Headingley Slog Fest

Central Defender
Me and 3 other lads are going to Australia next year in July for 2 weeks,

Perth 3 nights
Sydney 4 nights
Motorhome up the East Coast 5 nights
Brisbane 3 nights

Just asking on here for any must things to do and see from own experiences from the wise and well travelled SMB.

Perth 3 nights
Sydney 4 nights
Brisbane 3 nights

Just asking on here for any must things to do and see from own experiences from the wise and well travelled SMB.
Depends on your budget. I've not been to Perth and whilst I travelled up the East Coast twenty years ago, I probably wouldn't be great at recommendations.
If you have plenty of money I would strongly recommend a seaplane flight over Sydney Harbour.
For a smaller budget, the Harbour Bridge climb was fantastic. Far exceeded expectations and despite me being scared of heights, it's so safe that it shouldn't impact you.
For next to no budget, starting at Circular Quay (where the Opera House is) walk around the Botanical Gardens and walk to Woolloomooloo to sample the world famous pie cart.
Harry's Cafe de Wheels - Famous for Meat Pies and Hot Dogs
Couple of beers in the Woolloomooloo Bay Hotel if you've built up a thirst.

Similarly, from Circular Quay, get the ferry to Manly rather than paying for a Harbour Cruise. Manly is canny for a day out anyway but you see the Opera House up close on the way past on a normal commuter ferry.

If you like sport, see if there is any cricket, rugby on etc when you are there.

Perth 3 nights
Sydney 4 nights
Brisbane 3 nights

I used to live and work in Oz many moons ago.

My favourite places were Noosa, Burleigh Heads, Byron Bay and Manly Beach.

Would snap your hand off to live there now.

I would forget spending five days driving and just get a flight. It’s about £20 from Melbourne to Gold Coast.

If you don’t know what you want to do there then I suggest looking at Trip advisors top ten day trips for each destination and see what takes your fancy.

I’m not sure that you are considering the distances involved between places. Perth to Sydney is around seven or eight hours flight so unless you get a night flight then you will lose a full day there. Unless there is something that you desperately want to see in Perth, or you are using the non stop Heathrow to Perth flight then I would consider going directly to Melbourne and possibly drive up the coast to Sydney.

I would forget spending five days driving and just get a flight. It’s about £20 from Melbourne to Gold Coast.

If you don’t know what you want to do there then I suggest looking at Trip advisors top ten day trips for each destination and see what takes your fancy.

I’m not sure that you are considering the distances involved between places. Perth to Sydney is around seven or eight hours flight so unless you get a night flight then you will lose a full day there. Unless there is something that you desperately want to see in Perth, or you are using the non stop Heathrow to Perth flight then I would consider going directly to Melbourne and possibly drive up the coast to Sydney.
I think it's a 5 hour flight but I agree with you, there's a lot of travel in there. First time I went we did a few nights in Sydney/Blue Mountains, flew up to Cairns for a few days, on to Airlie Beach in the Whitsundays then flew to Melbourne for a couple of nights. That was probably too much travel to be honest. We got a coach from Cairns to Airlie Beach and it took 12 hours without coming close to crossing a state border.

I think it's a 5 hour flight but I agree with you, there's a lot of travel in there. First time I went we did a few nights in Sydney/Blue Mountains, flew up to Cairns for a few days, on to Airlie Beach in the Whitsundays then flew to Melbourne for a couple of nights. That was probably too much travel to be honest. We got a coach from Cairns to Airlie Beach and it took 12 hours without coming close to crossing a state border.
That was one of my highlights of travelling up the east coast. Sailing around the Whitsundays was beautiful. (But don't sit with your feet in the water all day without suncream.):eek:

We were based in Perth for 4 weeks but visited Sidney for a few days. The Bridge Climb is a must and the boat trip to Manley was great. Bondi Beach was a disappointment.

If you go to Perth, a trip to Rottnest Island is worthwhile and King’s Park, but time to do everything will be difficult.

if you can do them then the best two things in Australia are Whitsundays and Fraser Island. If you’re coming to australia I’d try and fit both them in, Sydney and then see what time you have left.

Haven’t been to Perth for a while and it’s nice but as said it’s a long way from everywhere else. If you do go, do Rottnest island for a night.

Melbourne is missable, other than the sport there’s not a great deal to do, although it’s a good night out.

Sydney, best thing for me is bondi to Coogee walk, takes a couple of hours and a few boozers on the way to stop off if you like.

Obv opera house and harbour bridge. Bridge climb is class but very expensive. Manly is nice, the ferry there is good.

Royal national park is south of Sydney and brilliant if you have a car. Wattamalla on a weekday when it’s not too busy, a highlight not many people will know about. Beach, creek, swimming, cliff jumping etc.

Try to limit your stay in brisbane, do either Gold Coast (younger vibe, night outs, lots to do) or Sunshine Coast (nicer than Gold Coast but more laid back). You can swim with humpback whales if it is the season in Sunshine Coast, pretty cool if you’re into that kind of thing.

Back