Recommend me running shoes for shin splints

I already use shin wraps and compression leggings. Usually when I work up to running through a c25k for instance, I’m fine, but I’ve had a month or so off and now even going back for a 15 min run brings my shin splints back and all my legs ache.

I already use shin wraps and compression leggings. Usually when I work up to running through a c25k for instance, I’m fine, but I’ve had a month or so off and now even going back for a 15 min run brings my shin splints back and all my legs ache.

I used to have no end of bother before I switched to Brooks running shoes, I’ve had niggles here and there but nothing like what I had before.

Are you running correctly? On your toes?

I have brooks too, i’m 17 stone and they’re great, glycerins

Its usually nothing to do with trainers, I had shin splints and was recommended trainers and it made no difference, went back to my old trainers and stopped over striding and learn to land on my front foot not the heel (some advice from a coach) and he presto ive not had a problem with my shins for 3 year I think it is now, others will know a lot more than me but I was getting bad shins all the time until I made the changes, it also effected my back.

I tried running on my toes and it gave me the worst shin splints of my life and put me out of running for an entire summer.

So no, not any more.

haha just read about your running on your toes, did you build that up our just run constantly on your toes? I started with 100m of every mile every 2nd day and worked up, after about a month I was doing 400m of most miles on the frontfoot, and after that it just became natural, my claves really hurt the 1st few weeks mind

Last edited:
Its usually nothing to do with trainers, I had shin splints and was recommended trainers and it made no difference, went back to my old trainers and stopped over striding and learn to land on my front foot not the heel (some advice from a coach) and he presto ive not had a problem with my shins for 3 year I think it is now, others will know a lot more than me but I was getting bad shins all the time until I made the changes, it also effected my back.

haha just read about your running on your toes, did you build that up our just run constantly on your toes? I started with 100m of every mile every 2nd day and worked up, after about a month I was doing 400m of most miles on the frontfoot, and after that it just became natural, my claves really hurt the 1st few weeks mind
Yeah, I tried to build it up, but I think I’m just sooo susceptible to shin splints that I will always struggle to find what that limit it.

I can get shin splints from sandals in summer, so I think it’s a physiological thing for me.

I read somewhere that leaning forward and taking shorter strides helps; think Ethiopian distance runners gait. I tried and it did make a bit of a difference, but then I switched to Hoka One One trainers and I have not had a ha'porth of bother since.

I used to suffer badly with them, previously wore Asics and made the move to Nike Pegasus 35's along with compression sleeves on my shins. I've been injury free for about 3 months.

Make sure you get fitted properly in store, your toes need more wiggle room than you think.

Went to a cracking little shop in St Albans and he let me take two pairs away free to try. Went back today and bought one of them. (New Balance, very structured, lots of support).

I’ll definitely shop there again.

Back