Recommend me emergency boiler cover

Your options are really limited. Try and get something local. BG have been fine for me in the past, but I now use my mates son.
Homeserve are horrendous.

We used British Gas years ago and I'm sure there was none of this Monday to Friday thing. We're now using a local lad who i would highly recommend, Andrew Halse, although I think he limits himself to Baxi. Obviously, that's not much use to you but you might want to check out BG (it wasn't cheap but you Londoners are dripping with money).
Bg who sack their engineers then reemployed on worse contracts while bosses will still have their big bonuses
Fuck bg
The issue with that is that if everyone stops using them then they'll be getting rid of the rest of their engineers.
Good they shouldn’t be treating staff like that

Last edited:
I haven't had any really hard sell from BG. They are clearly incentivised to push additional services so I occasionally allow them to price me up a job and then throw it away. For non-emergency routine work you are almost certainly better off going for a local plumber.

This all day..there’s a couple of lads round Fulwell/Seaburn..one can do Baxi stuff and does the yearly service..the other for any quick stuff.

There will be plenty of ex-BG engineers offering their services right now.

Alternatively you can stand there and cheer on the race to the bottom.

I don't think there is such a thing as an unemployed plumber. A lot start out with British Gas as the training is supposed to be pretty good but then go self-employed to make more money.

I had a new Baxi boiler fitted 4 years ago..came with a 7 year warranty..the boiler went off when we had the ‘beast from the east’ in 2018..i phoned them and they said it’d be nearly 3 weeks before they could get someone out..middle of winter bastard freezing 3 weeks..turned out to be nowt..condensate pipe frozen which i sorted..if I’d phoned someone out and they hadn’t been Baxi authorised and they’d replaced a part to get my boiler fixed..this would have negated the warranty..but they’ll let you sit and freeze for 3 weeks.
Baxi were brilliant when ours went last winter, out same day, several things fucked so had to order parts but still done a couple of days later and more or less a new boiler they had to replace so much!

Currently have “emergency” boiler cover and recently upgraded it to include heating.

Hot water went off on Friday, so bloke came out Saturday morning and said he needed to get a part, would be back Monday. Not the end of the world, as we can stick the immersion on, so no rush.

Except since he’s been, we now have no heating either. He’s adamant it wasn’t working when he turned up on Saturday at 11, but I know fine well we had heating that morning so it’s a huge coincidence if the heating stopped working literally minutes before he turned up. He left the offending part hanging off the hot water tank, so we are incredibly suspicious.
Have you not got at least one portable electric heater>If not get two, one fan one convector. Never rely on one source of heat for heat/life.
I had a new Baxi boiler fitted 4 years ago..came with a 7 year warranty..the boiler went off when we had the ‘beast from the east’ in 2018..i phoned them and they said it’d be nearly 3 weeks before they could get someone out..middle of winter bastard freezing 3 weeks..turned out to be nowt..condensate pipe frozen which i sorted..if I’d phoned someone out and they hadn’t been Baxi authorised and they’d replaced a part to get my boiler fixed..this would have negated the warranty..but they’ll let you sit and freeze for 3 weeks.
This is a very common problem, they should have told you to do that first. If they run down an outside wall, especially if North facing, they should be heavily insulated, but they never are, it's plain stupid.

Baxi were brilliant when ours went last winter, out same day, several things fucked so had to order parts but still done a couple of days later and more or less a new boiler they had to replace so much!
It sounds like Baxi boilers use cheap parts that fail far to easily, as do most modern boilers, to many rubber membranes, seals & PCBs in a hot/cold box. It's a modern con, our boiler is 30 years old & never fails.

Last edited:
Have you not got at least one portable electric heater>If not get two, one fan one convector. Never rely on one source of heat for heat/life.

This is a very common problem, they should have told you to do that first. If they run down an outside wall, especially if North facing, they should be heavily insulated, but they never are, it's plain stupid.
Not knowing anything about boilers i contacted the lad who fitted it..he told me how to sort it..it’s insulated now!!!

I use 24/7 Home Rescue for my let property.
Just used them for the first time on a breakdown and have no complaints at all, engineer was the most thorough one I've had.
You can do bookings through app on your phone or if it's a real emergency can call up also.

Currently have “emergency” boiler cover and recently upgraded it to include heating.

Hot water went off on Friday, so bloke came out Saturday morning and said he needed to get a part, would be back Monday. Not the end of the world, as we can stick the immersion on, so no rush.

Except since he’s been, we now have no heating either. He’s adamant it wasn’t working when he turned up on Saturday at 11, but I know fine well we had heating that morning so it’s a huge coincidence if the heating stopped working literally minutes before he turned up. He left the offending part hanging off the hot water tank, so we are incredibly suspicious.

Anyway, Scottish Power Boiler cover say the “emergency” part of our cover is a “helpline” that does nothing more than book appointments Mon-Fri. The house was freezing this morning, and will be overnight again tonight, and I’m just glad it’s not winter, or I’m a vulnerable 80 year old.

There’s a mis-selling complaint going in on Monday but in the meantime, can anyone recommend me decent emergency boiler and heating cover so I’m not left with nee heating or water in mid winter please?
What did he say the part was he needed?

British Gas have been brilliant for us. Always there within 24 hours and always fixed the fault.

Not cheap but you pay for what you get

Back