Recommend me a wifi extender

Status
Not open for further replies.

this maybe the answer to problem we have ?
router is downstairs living room, have converted loft into a spare room but if kids use it they cant get wifi up there ... will this solve it ? and if so, do just simply plug it in in the loft or is there more to it ?
cheers in advance

If I may add another question - would the extender work on the end of an extension lead, say into the garden?

Can't get mine to work

Not via wifi no, as in if I go up there with my phone or laptop I still lose the wifi signal . Are you suggesting it will only work if I connect the one in loft to laptop using a cable ?
Not all mains internet extenders have automatic WiFi extension at the receiving end. You might need a look at the dreaded manual.

Yep you'd have to plug whatever device you want to use into the powerline adaptor in the loft with an Ethernet cable. Didn't realise you needed actual wifi and not just internet so apologies for any wasted time. I did have a wifi extender before I got the homeplugs from Argos but took it back as was only getting about 1.0mbps upstairs with is no different to the strength of signal from the router itself downstairs.

I guess you could plug another router into the homplug in the loft with an Ethernet cable but I'm buggered if I know how to configure it @AndrewP ?
Lots of routers have a bridging mode instead of a router mode. Just a problem that they need Ethernet input.

Power line extension sounds a better solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our lass (no) works from home and uses our home broadband via wifi. She complains that she sometimes loses her soft-phone connection and has to phone customers back. The router is on the same floor as her 'office' but on the other side of a double-brick wall - she works in the extended part of the house and the router is in the original part.

We're thinking about getting a couple of powerline adaptors and connecting her laptop to one via an ethernet cable but have heard that it sometimes doesn't work when there's a possibility the sockets used aren't on the same ring main. I really have no idea if the sockets in the extension are part of the original ring main that was extended to include them or if they are on a separate circuit.

Is it worth trying anyway or should we buy an extender instead and try to position it so that there's a more direct line form it to the room in which she works?

Edit - can't ask the electrician about the ring main as the poor bugger died about seven years ago.

Our lass (no) works from home and uses our home broadband via wifi. She complains that she sometimes loses her soft-phone connection and has to phone customers back. The router is on the same floor as her 'office' but on the other side of a double-brick wall - she works in the extended part of the house and the router is in the original part.

We're thinking about getting a couple of powerline adaptors and connecting her laptop to one via an ethernet cable but have heard that it sometimes doesn't work when there's a possibility the sockets used aren't on the same ring main. I really have no idea if the sockets in the extension are part of the original ring main that was extended to include them or if they are on a separate circuit.

Is it worth trying anyway or should we buy an extender instead and try to position it so that there's a more direct line form it to the room in which she works?

Edit - can't ask the electrician about the ring main as the poor bugger died about seven years ago.

They don't have to be on the same ring main. Buy some homeplugs from argos, take them back for a refund if they don't work.

If you change the name and password of the tp one then it should work without having to disconnect. There's supposed to be a clone function so you don't have to do that though.

http://uk.tp-link.com/faq-567.html

Make sure you clone it while it's plugged in next to the router, then move it to the loft once it's done.
Bought these and I'm trying to pair the two extender devices and it's not working. I'm doing this with the lead going in to the smaller unit and to the router, then the bigger unit sitting next to the smaller one on the same wall. Tried it several times and can't get the two top lights on both units to flash.

Bought these and I'm trying to pair the two extender devices and it's not working. I'm doing this with the lead going in to the smaller unit and to the router, then the bigger unit sitting next to the smaller one on the same wall. Tried it several times and can't get the two top lights on both units to flash.
Its finally decided to pair! Fantastic. Only 9 attempts :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back