Recommend me a wifi extender

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what I got (but from Argos)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...=VG26K1HZ2V3B7D720AE7&dpPl=1&dpID=71SQD9E0p5L
But think bought wrong thing.
All I want is something I can plug in upstairs (or in the loft) so that youngest can get wifi in the loft when using phone or laptop and no need for any cables

They were recommended on this post earlier on so thought they would do the job, but they don't

Ah right mate, argos will take them back no bother. Get the ones I linked you two and those will do the job.

This is what I got (but from Argos)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...=VG26K1HZ2V3B7D720AE7&dpPl=1&dpID=71SQD9E0p5L
But think bought wrong thing.
All I want is something I can plug in upstairs (or in the loft) so that youngest can get wifi in the loft when using phone or laptop and no need for any cables

They were recommended on this post earlier on so thought they would do the job, but they don't

Yep you'd have to plug whatever device you want to use into the powerline adaptor in the loft with an Ethernet cable. Didn't realise you needed actual wifi and not just internet so apologies for any wasted time. I did have a wifi extender before I got the homeplugs from Argos but took it back as was only getting about 1.0mbps upstairs with is no different to the strength of signal from the router itself downstairs.

I guess you could plug another router into the homplug in the loft with an Ethernet cable but I'm buggered if I know how to configure it @AndrewP ?

Hold on so do I not just login to my normal vergin media wifi ? I'm confused even more now . I thought they were just meant to boost the signal of the router , I've just put them all back in the box hoping Argos give me my money back

You can set them up so they both have the same wifi name so it should just work. It's pretty straight forward.

I guess you could plug another router into the homplug in the loft with an Ethernet cable but I'm buggered if I know how to configure it @AndrewP ?

Aye, you could use a wireless repeater/bridge and plug that into the homeplug. If he hasn't already got one then it'll be easier to just get a refund and get homeplugs with wifi built in.

Surely others must have same issue though, who live in 3storeyhouses or have converted the lofts and just gave the router in downstairs living room ? Haway man this can't just be me :lol:

Surely others must have same issue though, who live in 3storeyhouses or have converted the lofts and just gave the router in downstairs living room ? Haway man this can't just be me :lol:

I've got the same issue, I'm with Sky and their router is shite, I've got thick walls so wifi signal is shite pretty much everywhere. Homeplugs with wifi will sort it, cheapest option.

You can set them up so they both have the same wifi name so it should just work. It's pretty straight forward.

Aye, you could use a wireless repeater/bridge and plug that into the homeplug. If he hasn't already got one then it'll be easier to just get a refund and get homeplugs with wifi built in.
So ... gonna get down town tomorrow morn early doors as want to crack this early on as need to be in chaplains for midday:lol: ! Do I just get the ones you've recommended mate and be no fannying on with cables ?

So ... gonna get down town tomorrow morn early doors as want to crack this early on as need to be in chaplains for midday:lol: ! Do I just get the ones you've recommended mate and be no fannying on with cables ?

Aye, buy the ones I linked to, no cables required. The only thing you may need to do is rename the SSID (wireless name thing) to the same as your router so that it can switch seamlessly when you move around the home. Easy enough to do though.

If you just want it all from argos then these will do the trick

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5585575

The TL-WPA4220 features a Wi-Fi Clone Button enabling Super Range Extension, which means it can automatically copy the SSID and Password of your router

Sounds like it'll do it all for you.

Last edited:
Aye, buy the ones I linked to, no cables required. The only thing you may need to do is rename the SSID (wireless name thing) to the same as your router so that it can switch seamlessly when you move around the home. Easy enough to do though.

The TL-WPA4220 features a Wi-Fi Clone Button enabling Super Range Extension, which means it can automatically copy the SSID and Password of your router

Cheers will try sort it or be goin match stressed :lol:

Haway man , don't complicate matters :lol:, will try the Argos one Andrew has said

Ah right mate, argos will take them back no bother. Get the ones I linked you two and those will do the job.
Aye I went down first thing , still no joy connecting in loft ... if I go in loft now I can see my virgin wifi on one bar and drops off of move , and can now see this new wifi again on one bar , possibly suggests the two boxes didn't pair properly, I dunno ? I hadn't even reached point of how to make these new boxes show my virgin wifi and not a separate one , I'm like basil fawty up in the loft, FFS what a mare I'm having here

Aye I went down first thing , still no joy connecting in loft ... if I go in loft now I can see my virgin wifi on one bar and drops off of move , and can now see this new wifi again on one bar , possibly suggests the two boxes didn't pair properly, I dunno ? I hadn't even reached point of how to make these new boxes show my virgin wifi and not a separate one , I'm like basil fawty up in the loft, FFS what a mare I'm having here
Check the instructions again. If not give me a shout in the morning when I'm a bit sober.

Check the instructions again. If not give me a shout in the morning when I'm a bit sober.
Got it working mate ... now have two wifi networks , the virgin one and the TP one, so when go in loft I lose the virgin one and then need to connect to the new TP one , I think this is right ???

Got it working mate ... now have two wifi networks , the virgin one and the TP one, so when go in loft I lose the virgin one and then need to connect to the new TP one , I think this is right ???
If you change the name and password of the tp one then it should work without having to disconnect. There's supposed to be a clone function so you don't have to do that though.

http://uk.tp-link.com/faq-567.html

Make sure you clone it while it's plugged in next to the router, then move it to the loft once it's done.

Last edited:

Buying this tonight as the apps on my ps4 are unusable this evening. Almost threw the controller at the tv :mad::lol:

Easiest to set up so great for people who struggle but can't see how it's s cut above the rest mind. Paying loads for a below par spec.
Loads more expensive, home plugs achieve pretty much the same result for loads less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back