Recommend me a wifi extender

Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC you're better off putting another phone port in the house elsewhere to boost it. I'm not sure whether wifi-extenders actually work

That wouldn't work mate, you can only use one modem at a time.

this maybe the answer to problem we have ?
router is downstairs living room, have converted loft into a spare room but if kids use it they cant get wifi up there ... will this solve it ? and if so, do just simply plug it in in the loft or is there more to it ?
cheers in advance

Powerline adapters should work fine for that. Pretty much just plug and play.

router is downstairs living room, have converted loft into a spare room but if kids use it they cant get wifi up there ... will this solve it ? and if so, do just simply plug it in in the loft or is there more to it ?
cheers in advance
Yep it really was as simple as that for me.....simply plugged one in next to the router (which for me is by the TV in the living room) and connected it to the router with a cable that comes supplied....plugged in the other 3 in each bedroom upstairs and connected each of them to the android boxes we have in each room with a cable that also comes supplied and away I went. I did get a slight reduction of download speed from about 90mbps at the router to about 40mbps upstairs but still more than enough speed for what its being used for.

cheers in advance
pretty much plug and play mate.

Have you got a link to it as there's different models as far as I can see. Also, has it affected online play with any lag or poor speeds? I know that extenders can reduce speeds dramatically.

I bought mine via the virgin media store online as thats who im with, it was a while back i believe I have the powerline 600. Which has now been discontinued as they have newer models.

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/powerline/extending-your-network.html

Theres 2-3 gooduns there!

And yes i was worried about lag and slower speeds but not had any problem, had it for about year an half now.

BT Smart Hub - better range and stability than creating a mesh network of extenders from an already unstable Hub.

Can get new ones on eBay for £50

I bought mine via the virgin media store online as thats who im with, it was a while back i believe I have the powerline 600. Which has now been discontinued as they have newer models.

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/powerline/extending-your-network.html

Theres 2-3 gooduns there!

And yes i was worried about lag and slower speeds but not had any problem, had it for about year an half now.

£50 them though.. whereas the one from argos/amazon is only £25

That wouldn't work mate, you can only use one modem at a time.

Ah. My apologies.
Thing is you need to put your router in a place where it's not obstructed by much so it can beam out without stuff getting in the way. I was never sure if WIFI boosters helped or not

Ah. My apologies.
Thing is you need to put your router in a place where it's not obstructed by much so it can beam out without stuff getting in the way. I was never sure if WIFI boosters helped or not

Ah right, I see what you mean. Wifi repeaters (boosters) can help, but they have to be in decent positions as they can only repeat what they receive, if they receive a weak signal, they'll rebroadcase a strong looking weak signal.

pretty much plug and play mate.
Got a pair this morning but don't seem to be making any difference , plugged one in downstairs and attached it to the router with the cable , plugged in the 2nd adaptor nearby and pressed some button on them both which is meant to pair them. Then moved the 2nd adapter upninto the loft , plugged it in and has made no difference . Have I done something wrong or is it £25 down the shitter :lol:

Got a pair this morning but don't seem to be making any difference , plugged one in downstairs and attached it to the router with the cable , plugged in the 2nd adaptor nearby and pressed some button on them both which is meant to pair them. Then moved the 2nd adapter upninto the loft , plugged it in and has made no difference . Have I done something wrong or is it £25 down the shitter :lol:
Are you getting a signal from the loft home plug. Are you using Ethernet?

This is the correct answer....I have two pairs of these to run the kids android boxes upstairs haven't looked back since. Got mine from Argos though as I wanted them straight away
Can't get mine to work

Are you getting a signal from the loft home plug. Are you using Ethernet?
Not via wifi no, as in if I go up there with my phone or laptop I still lose the wifi signal . Are you suggesting it will only work if I connect the one in loft to laptop using a cable ?

Last edited:
Not via wifi no, as in if I go up there with my phone or laptop I still lose the wifi signal . Are you suggesting it will only work if I connect the one in loft to laptop using a cable ?

Aye, presuming you bought one without a wireless built in, which ones did you buy?

If you bought these ones:

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5742734?catalogId=10001&storeId=10151&krypto=cEUP/81Z/BZQxTzx0AlZpqAbO2FEF6Z/HKmRc2gVhOol1uDzj6FA8Hlue1DAWxjh0yLntl1D1n+U yn3qN3/e1GLg9BA5/us4vHzsv32ltvD0yR7tF5M4sYvrmNLrpsKG094V3LAJC0D1N9ZQfYPBQ52e IzHD0W0s77OWk6nwqOYE1wsF5QCW7DbjnDEd8Pw4Zq4Omcz94tVRF5uMr62hZYYKSiS3qwAcL7o2 UjGnJeKJc85HtRyt2E9tvBiWpxPrbi0kK9gBOPg3yoWydtg7WSjvtbVuqKjpNBzgMiR2y0sNTpla oWoJxt9oLsheLa+4guXKjat0B6uoXcr1M9g2eUXZHEworJQ1Ul0PyWh2s8Xk6CvWfJ6AkE7cNmr6 nGBIY2kd/EjDb0849zdF1GlyaFzVpJrL15l2IJx4o7U/IXb1ANErkMYucTuGEbFxA7q9vRibahM8 EIks+Bsc8GQQ1UZuBsCO798JTkyGpErklGz2ZPB3pvgRCyBmM+1wP6Avbs+b7YDXZwNCHkQfgIPF 4HlQPbVfQe9/FXbnpcFb91Uu5fdWC5o9+e9ejkaeyx4OHtDJXROtKxwmnxBp6TmjVN9sEXk57nt7 eNtwXhsMMrQsbi5OzMy5Eaq9oYt6dYIq9RnSagHwEh6ctCa+9S6v+9HMTYpi/TB8rznhKKaap8gU pittzvSdMDFtTkZ6XdHPfUVo2WE7SRwBxdB/k2X84Tg8aonAiFGUDw4uhhSv7kiQbXWEfeeBSYRZ wTbh71Mvgoq1NfHOsW0W7Je35YOeDkVV0j8tWITbU0I+LY4e1lEblSavYeNcJYatbefB5nU24C0K LGxkscQKnUKs6/clzVOtc5P/jpqAjEjzIh0JuRodap28RUGn36oqY33o7EcfVAOFbln2Fq5kBFGq kllO8De/ZRbq5Lx4McpkU1oAaXZhaI+X1VPi67jcT7Zp6c1f

then they'll do nowt for your wifi at all. You'll have a working ethernet port in your loft though.

You'll need some like this instead

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/WiFi-Boo...=1493388982&sr=8-1&keywords=homeplug+wireless

Last edited:
for £25 i'd suggest you got ones that don't use wifi. mine cost the thick end of a ton. Devolo.

This is what I got (but from Argos)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...=VG26K1HZ2V3B7D720AE7&dpPl=1&dpID=71SQD9E0p5L
But think bought wrong thing.
All I want is something I can plug in upstairs (or in the loft) so that youngest can get wifi in the loft when using phone or laptop and no need for any cables
using a laptop or suchlike - can you see the new wifi adapters? you need to log into them the same as your router...... the key will be on the plug somewhere :lol:

using a laptop or suchlike - can you see the new wifi adapters? you need to log into them the same as your router...... the key will be on the plug somewhere :lol:
Hold on so do I not just login to my normal vergin media wifi ? I'm confused even more now . I thought they were just meant to boost the signal of the router , I've just put them all back in the box hoping Argos give me my money back

Edit - there's 2 Ethernet cables in box so I'm convinced I got wrong thing anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back