Recommend me a Staycation/Holistay Destination

I'm thinking darn sarth, in order to maximise chances of getting warm weather. Nice beach, but in a nice town with decent bars and restaurants and some lovely accommodation. Off you go... (and I realise this is what every man, woman and their lockdown puppies are also thinking about, so prices will be sky-high and the beaches will be mobbed etc etc).

I was thinking North Norfolk coast, the missus is thinking Devon/Cornwall.
Hastings. Ticks your 'nice town' box. Like a lot of the south coast, the beaches are shingle not sand but if you have a car you can drive to Camber Sands in about 30 mins

I did Whitby for a week and it was great to take time to get around rather than the rushed day trips we all do
stayed in Captain Cooks haven ,steam train passing everyday
Great for the town and all the places around
Robin hoods bay
Staithes
Cycleways ( hire near by )
Steam lines etc

Anyone been to Christchurch/Barton on Sea area? Looking at booking a cancellable week down there, Lymington looks canny for activities for my teen kids.

I'm thinking darn sarth, in order to maximise chances of getting warm weather. Nice beach, but in a nice town with decent bars and restaurants and some lovely accommodation. Off you go... (and I realise this is what every man, woman and their lockdown puppies are also thinking about, so prices will be sky-high and the beaches will be mobbed etc etc).

I was thinking North Norfolk coast, the missus is thinking Devon/Cornwall.

The only staycation location I can possibly recommend is your own house and garden, if you have one. Anything else would be grammatically incorrect.

Thanks for all the tips. And to all the pedants. 🙄 I’ve booked a cottage in North Norfolk, near Wells-next-the-sea, in late June.

Now looking for a stop-off on way down from Edinburgh. Done York a few times, but not for a few years.

Anyone been to Christchurch/Barton on Sea area? Looking at booking a cancellable week down there, Lymington looks canny for activities for my teen kids.
Thats nr where I live.
Lymington is just a really pretty afflluent seaside town.
Obviously you have the new forest and Bournemouth/Southampton near by.
Quite a lot to do in the area, not necessarily lymington (there is a huge lido with inflatables there, boat trips, thats about it).
Great water park in the new forest New Forest Water Park | Wakeboard & Aqua Park
my kids (16 and 14) love coasteering (usually Groupon offers for jurassic watersports) which is a bit further away in swanage (jumping off rocks into the sea) nr durdle door/Lulworth is there which is, imo , one of the most beautiful places in the uk (And home to a bizarre village called Tyneham which is really worth visiting- a ghost town which the Mod acquired in the war to practice in, and no one ever returned).
Loads of pretty places to visit in the forest.
Paulton Park if they are 13 or under. If they are a bit older forget it. Its got peppa pig world!
New forest water activities on the beaulieu River (kayaking/paddle boarding etc ) Or SUP in keyhaven The New Forest Paddle Sport Company SUP & Kayaking near lymington and can walk across the front to Lymington from here, really nice walk.
Christchurch/Barton are ok. Christchurch a biggish town nr Bournemouth. If you're into the beach, thr first sandy beach is Highcliffe, though we usually go to Avon beach/Mudeford
East of Highcliffe its stoney.
If you want any further info drop us a pm.

Last edited:

Back