Recommend me a Staycation/Holistay Destination

No place in England for me
if people are allowed to go on holiday in England
why not abroad
the virus is all over
we just may have to stay at home to prevent the spread

Whitstable is canny.
Love that place. Good oysters down there.
If you must go down south head to the South West. I would be more inclined upon a nice village in the peaks though.
Peak District is great. Castleton , Buxton Hope etc. As mentioned New Forest is beautiful and Bournemouth , Sandbanks and Mudiford just down the road. My in-laws live
In the Forest ( near Lyndhurst )

Last edited:
I'm thinking darn sarth, in order to maximise chances of getting warm weather. Nice beach, but in a nice town with decent bars and restaurants and some lovely accommodation. Off you go... (and I realise this is what every man, woman and their lockdown puppies are also thinking about, so prices will be sky-high and the beaches will be mobbed etc etc).

I was thinking North Norfolk coast, the missus is thinking Devon/Cornwall.
[/QUOTLooe
I'm thinking darn sarth, in order to maximise chances of getting warm weather. Nice beach, but in a nice town with decent bars and restaurants and some lovely accommodation. Off you go... (and I realise this is what every man, woman and their lockdown puppies are also thinking about, so prices will be sky-high and the beaches will be mobbed etc etc).

I was thinking North Norfolk coast, the missus is thinking Devon/Cornwall.
Wtf is a Holistay?

Looe and Fowey are decent. Beach, sun, bars and water sports nearby

I like cornwall, but this year will be heaving & canny expensive as shit loads will be heading their if cant get away abroad

I love North Norfolk, depending on your budget have a look at kelling heath static caravans, or look at the privately owned ones. Sheringham the nearest small seaside town is nice and some good pubs.

Staycation is bad enough but since when was "holistay" a word?

Besides, don't both words mean stopping at home for a holiday not going to the opposite end of the country?

This^. 'Staycation' was briefly a word internet folk used to mean taking time off work and staying at home, now some use it to mean going away on a full blown holiday :lol:

Off on a 6 months round the world staycation next year when this pandemic is over!

Last edited:
I know the op stipulated down south but personally I think the best place is the Northumbrian cost. Not too busy, beautiful beaches, beautiful towns and not too far away from the Cheviots if hiking is your thing. Probably my favourite place in the UK for a relaxing getaway. Glasgow for a more party weekend.

I know the op stipulated down south but personally I think the best place is the Northumbrian cost. Not too busy, beautiful beaches, beautiful towns and not too far away from the Cheviots if hiking is your thing. Probably my favourite place in the UK for a relaxing getaway. Glasgow for a more party weekend.
Yeah, we did that in August. Absolutely loved it. But wanted to just explore somewhere a bit different in lieu of a foreign holiday. But will definitely be back to Northumberland later in year.

I’m not well travelled along the South Coast but can recommend the New Forest around Lymington and I like Torbay. You’re just a short drive from the River Dart which is a lovely change of scenery.

Back