Recommend me a nursing home that provides EMI care please

My mother just passed away peacefully after being in Falstone Court Care Home at Roker for nearly five years with Alzheimer's Dementia. She was a feisty old thing but never complained a jot. Staff are very friendly and seem to take good care of the residents/patients. We scoped a couple of other homes before choosing Falstone for her, they both absolutely reeked of urine, but Falstone was virtually odour-free.

My mother just passed away peacefully after being in Falstone Court Care Home at Roker for nearly five years with Alzheimer's Dementia. She was a feisty old thing but never complained a jot. Staff are very friendly and seem to take good care of the residents/patients. We scoped a couple of other homes before choosing Falstone for her, they both absolutely reeked of urine, but Falstone was virtually odour-free.

We went in a couple before deciding on the Marigold for my Dad..the smell in a couple of them..honestly..overpowering.

We went in a couple before deciding on the Marigold for my Dad..the smell in a couple of them..honestly..overpowering.
I have been in literally hundreds of care homes and the smell is a good indicator of how well its run. Don't get me wrong an "accident " can happen anytime especially in nursing/EMI homes and if it's on carpet it can take a good few cleans to get the smell out. That is why visiting more than once at different times is essential. It can be a bit unfair to judge a very well ran Nursing home on one visit that might smell of Urine.
To the OP ask what ratio of staff they have on in the day and night plus ask if they have a full compliment of nurses rather than constantly use agency nurses. You might find a few don't like to answer.
Good luck and wish you all the best in what can be a very difficult period in life

I have been in literally hundreds of care homes and the smell is a good indicator of how well its run. Don't get me wrong an "accident " can happen anytime especially in nursing/EMI homes and if it's on carpet it can take a good few cleans to get the smell out. That is why visiting more than once at different times is essential. It can be a bit unfair to judge a very well ran Nursing home on one visit that might smell of Urine.
To the OP ask what ratio of staff they have on in the day and night plus ask if they have a full compliment of nurses rather than constantly use agency nurses. You might find a few don't like to answer.
Good luck and wish you all the best in what can be a very difficult period in life

I would concur this post

We took my dad out of there after about three weeks, we thought it was no good for him, his doctor wanted him out of there as soon as possible and my dad didn’t like it. Moved him to Princess House and thought it was much better.

We took my dad out of there after about three weeks, we thought it was no good for him, his doctor wanted him out of there as soon as possible and my dad didn’t like it. Moved him to Princess House and thought it was much better.

It is a purpose-built home and as such lacks the character and charm of the repurposed Edwardian and Victorian big houses of Sunderland as may be found around the Thornhill area, but it is clean and the staff as said seemed to care. What was it that your dad didn't like Gala?

It is a purpose-built home and as such lacks the character and charm of the repurposed Edwardian and Victorian big houses of Sunderland as may be found around the Thornhill area, but it is clean and the staff as said seemed to care. What was it that your dad didn't like Gala?
He hated it mate.

It refers to Elderly Mentally Infirm, covering dementia / Alzheimer's. Often good EMI homes will charge a 3rd Party top up payment, so check this out.
Antiquated term still favoured by social services and medical professionals. Cqc don't register as EMI. Just dementia

Where is Princess House

Update - and thanks to all that responded. The family settled on Fallstone Court on the seafront. It offered nursing care for dementia (which was required). It doesn’t smell of urine and although our relative doesn’t want to be there (there is t a choice though), the staff at Fallstone have been great under difficult circumstances. Fallstone has an outstanding rating too which provides some reassurance in less than ideal circumstances.

Back