Recommend me a nursing home that provides EMI care please

PigtheBilly

Goalkeeper
We need to find a Good nursing home in the area for an elderly relative- not just any hone though. Must be a nursing home and it MUST provide Elderly Mental Infirm care too. Any personal recommendations gratefully received.

Might help if you indicate the area you are looking

Don't be afraid to visit the home and sit for a while. Look at the staff not the facilities. Nice carpets and curtains won't be looking after your relative

Good point well made ..... ideally Washington but quality of care is priority so looking at wider/ Sunderland area too.
This is the one that my grandmother was in for some time and I believe she was given decent care:

Thanks. We have made enquiries there - it’s been recommended and has good reviews - it’s on the doorstep too but looks like the specific EMI element is missing.

Last edited:
Might help if you indicate the area you are looking

Don't be afraid to visit the home and sit for a while. Look at the staff not the facilities. Nice carpets and curtains won't be looking after your relative
This, this and this. Different client group but I worked in a housing co-op for people with learning disability in a run down old council property that barely met regulations but the support was amazing even if I say so myself whereas in my job now as an advocate I have often seen beautiful places, amazing facilities and f***ing disgusting care. Good old Castlebeck always looked lovely but as Winterbourne View proved that’s not the whole picture.
Worth checking CQC ratings but bare in mind much of that is to do with having right systems and paperwork. I’d rather be cared for by lovely people that are a bit shit with paperwork than arseholes that cross every t and dot every i.
Despite this I must say the vast majority of places are populated by extremely dedicated staff that do care. Management is the key, anywhere with high turnover of management should be viewed very cautiously.

We need to find a Good nursing home in the area for an elderly relative- not just any hone though. Must be a nursing home and it MUST provide Elderly Mental Infirm care too. Any personal recommendations gratefully received.
If your relative has such needs have they been assessed by social services and or MHOPS ? . They should be allocated a case worker who can advise.

Looks very decent. Cant add anymore to whats been said. Use the https://www.carehome.co.uk/ website along with CQC ratings and more importantly spend time to click into the report and read whats been written down by inspectors. Any care homes that don't show their rating on their website tells you that they don't want you to know it - means it will be a poor rating.
I would say in normal times make the effort to go and visit more than once and do so at different times - lunchtime is always a good indicator to how well staffed they are. If the staff look stressed and hurried then maybe there isn't enough on duty.
In these current times I would say make an appointment to view the home----- any that agrees stay well clear as they should be in full lockdown and not letting anyone in.

Good point well made ..... ideally Washington but quality of care is priority so looking at wider/ Sunderland area too.

Thanks. We have made enquiries there - it’s been recommended and has good reviews - it’s on the doorstep too but looks like the specific EMI element is missing.

yeah sorry I’m not exactly sure what EMI ie if it was a specific category or whether the Alzheimer’s and dementia covered that. Anyway good luck and hope you manage to find something suitable.

yeah sorry I’m not exactly sure what EMI ie if it was a specific category or whether the Alzheimer’s and dementia covered that. Anyway good luck and hope you manage to find something suitable.

It refers to Elderly Mentally Infirm, covering dementia / Alzheimer's. Often good EMI homes will charge a 3rd Party top up payment, so check this out.

It refers to Elderly Mentally Infirm, covering dementia / Alzheimer's. Often good EMI homes will charge a 3rd Party top up payment, so check this out.

many thanks. My Gran has sadly long been gone, but just recall she was well looked after as far as I am aware - can’t recall many complaints.

Back