Recommend me a decent bat

ODIN

Midfield
Alright lads and lasses. So I'm back next season playing for a local club after a 20 year hiatus and need some recommendations for a decent bat. I'm 6ft 6 and 18st so probably need something hefty. Budget not massive ( as I'm a bowler and don't really bat ) budget around £150. Also looking for a equipment bag. Cheers

Alright lads and lasses. So I'm back next season playing for a local club after a 20 year hiatus and need some recommendations for a decent bat. I'm 6ft 6 and 18st so probably need something hefty. Budget not massive ( as I'm a bowler and don't really bat ) budget around £150. Also looking for a equipment bag. Cheers
At 6ft 5in, I'd recommend a long blade bat (long blade but normal short handle). It will help you get down to the ball on yorkers but also the generally low, slow wickets we get up here. You might be able to get one ordered, with the type of weight you want, from a custom batmaker like Red Ink, Robert Pack cricket or Paul Alred for a decent price if you go for a slightly lower grade willow (eg butterfly willow).

Who have you signed for ?

In regards to the bat it’s hard to recommend at that price unless there’s big sales on. I invested this season after having a £125 bat last season. Difference is staggering. That’s not to say there’s not good quality in the sub £200 range mind. Maybe a refurb?

I got a bat/pads/gloves unbranded from a lad in the know off Facebook for £85. It’s the best bat I’ve used. There’s plenty of good ones around there second hand for decent prices if you look.

Crown sports in East Boldon do repairs I think, they might be a good shout for decent value, decent quality kit.

Alright lads and lasses. So I'm back next season playing for a local club after a 20 year hiatus and need some recommendations for a decent bat. I'm 6ft 6 and 18st so probably need something hefty. Budget not massive ( as I'm a bowler and don't really bat ) budget around £150. Also looking for an equipment bag. Cheers
I’d have a pop to Lorimers at Bishop Auckland once the season is finished, they‘d sort you with all the kit you need, probably get some decent sale prices too.

At 6ft 5in, I'd recommend a long blade bat (long blade but normal short handle). It will help you get down to the ball on yorkers but also the generally low, slow wickets we get up here. You might be able to get one ordered, with the type of weight you want, from a custom batmaker like Red Ink, Robert Pack cricket or Paul Alred for a decent price if you go for a slightly lower grade willow (eg butterfly willow).
This lad knaars.

Paul Aldred. The best bat I’ve had in 30 years of cricket.

I’d highly recommend custom made from a smaller batmaker. Nixon cricket near Scarborough do really good bats at very decent prices as well.

Last edited:
Check facebook marketplace at the end of the season or just after Xmas. Can generally get a 1 season old bat for pretty cheap v brand new

Back