Recommend a film people may not have seen

American Graffiti. Happy Days for the big screen.

You should also give More American Graffiti (1979) a go... virtually same cast, but while original was about before going off to college the sequel was about them finding their paths in life (so Vietnam War, etc) - the critics slammed it at the time but I actually preferred More American Graffiti and only ever saw it once in the cinema (as far as I am aware its never been on tv or even on video tape back in the day) - definitely a lesser known film people should watch though

The Onion Field is indeed a great film, but back in the 70/80's they filmed a lot of Joseph Wambaugh books... The New Centurions (1972) with Stacey Keach and George C Scott is well worth checking out, while his biggest cinema hit was probably The Choirboys (1977) but I didn't really rate that one as a film
I didn't know that. The new centurions and the choirboys, along with the Blue Knight are probably my favourite Wambaugh books.

I didn't know that. The new centurions and the choirboys, along with the Blue Knight are probably my favourite Wambaugh books.

The Blue Knight was actually a tv series during the 70's! (with George Kennedy) and they also filmed Black Marble and The Glitter Dome (with bloke from Rockford Files in lead role)… also Police Story was popular back then. You could even argue that Wambaugh indirectly influenced all the big cop shows since Hill street Blues? :cool:

Los Cronocrímenes, or Timecrimes. Spanish time travel movie, like Primer but with a plot and some thrills. Even after a couple of see-throughs you won't have seen everything.

Like a couple of old ones mentioned before - The Old Man and the Sea and 12 Angry Men. Try Odd Man Out - black & white 40s film about an IRA man being shot and trying to escape in his "hometown". James Mason is excellent as the IRA man.

Watched 1922 on Netflix a while back, another Stephen King novel turned into a film.

Thought it was very good.
Ken Loachs The wind that shakes the barley about Irelands fight for independence and its descent into civil war. Think Cillian Murphy is in that one too

One of my favourite actors.

Last edited:
The search for Robert Johnson's lost song, deals with the devil, redemption - An entertaining trundle through the Deep South and the blues with a stunning soundtrack by Ry Cooder with Sonny Terry and Steve Vai.
(Not to be confused with a Britney Spears film of the same name)

Crossroads (1986) - IMDb

(Would put a spoiler in about the ending but I'm bound to cock it up)

Back