Reclining your seat during a flight:

Depends. If it’s a weekend on leisure and daytime I’d probably raise it but if its a red eye midweek and I’m at work the next day no chance. On a red eye its the done thing. I’d offer a swap tbf, done that before.

No they aren’t. They’re normally offered as a premium seat. On shorter flights the seats generally don’t recline anyway.
Well, every long distance flight I've been on they are allocated randomly and I've flown a fair few flights. I've been placed in them randomly myself and I've moved on the odd occasion they've been available. You must fly on very different airlines to me.

Well, every long distance flight I've been on they are allocated randomly and I've flown a fair few flights. I've been placed in them randomly myself and I've moved on the odd occasion they've been available. You must fly on very different airlines to me.

The carriers I fly regularly, the premium-economy type seats are free at booking for elite fliers on those carriers, then others can buy them for an upcharge, and if any are still open at checkin they get randomly assigned to people on regular coach tickets who don't have seat assignments. At least on those airlines, you can't move yourself to them proactively without getting charged for it.

I kept clicking through this on twitter. Turns out she reported him to the FBI for assault, had time off work and went for xrays 😂

Someone is gearing up for a lawsuit.

I kept clicking through this on twitter. Turns out she reported him to the FBI for assault, had time off work and went for xrays 😂

Someone is gearing up for a lawsuit.
I hope she gets absolutely fucked if that's the case, like. What a twatful, petulant thing to do.

The carriers I fly regularly, the premium-economy type seats are free at booking for elite fliers on those carriers, then others can buy them for an upcharge, and if any are still open at checkin they get randomly assigned to people on regular coach tickets who don't have seat assignments. At least on those airlines, you can't move yourself to them proactively without getting charged for it.
I've been allocated them at random or selected them for no additional charge on Bangkok Airways, Etihad, and Emirates. Very rare that they're available, but I have sat in them for free. When I left Myanmar and was at absolute rock bottom, I remember smiling to myself and thinking my luck was changing when I boarded and could stretch my legs out. That was with Bangkok Airways and was the most spacious seat I've ever had, actually.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been allocated them at random or selected them for no additional charge on Bangkok Airways, Etihad, and Emirates. Very rare that they're available, but I have sat in them for free. When I left Myanmar and was at absolute rock bottom, I remember smiling to myself and thinking my luck was changing when I boarded and could stretch my legs out. That was with Bangkok Airways and was the most spacious seat I've ever had, actually.

Just a different set of airlines, then. And yeah, an upgrade like that can really help things. I recently had a flight on which I snagged a free upgrade to a domestic (U.S.) first class seat on a 4-hour flight. Then United swapped the plane out for a 787, so I got a lie-flat seat for a coach ticket on a flight after a really rough week. Things got better.

Just a different set of airlines, then. And yeah, an upgrade like that can really help things. I recently had a flight on which I snagged a free upgrade to a domestic (U.S.) first class seat on a 4-hour flight. Then United swapped the plane out for a 787, so I got a lie-flat seat for a coach ticket on a flight after a really rough week. Things got better.
Air France once upgraded me to business. It was great, foie gras and everything. Only issue was, I was wearing an FC Tokyo football shirt I'd been given as a gift by the ex's family and I've never felt so embarrassed. Went to the toilets and took it off. :lol:

I went to India a year ago and the first thing the bloke in front of me did when the seatbelt signed went off was recline his seat.

I wear a 36” inside leg in trousers and after he got a bit of resistance from my already cramped knees he slammed his chair back so I had no choice but to sit sideways.

I asked him nicely to unrecline and he refused. I jammed my knees into the seat whenever I could, I blocked the aisle with my feet and was asked to move them by the steward who then also asked the man to unrecline his seat, and he refused.

When he went to the toilet I unreclined his seat for him and he moaned about it.

In the departure lounge coming home, I saw the man and I was praying o would be sat in front of him for karma but unfortunately I wasn’t.

I normally fly United and unless you’re on a basic economy ticket, you can ask within reason for the extra space or a better seat. The higher status you have helps like. My lass (no) is gold and last time I flew out to EWR I got her to call and move me to a left window because I was in a sling due to shoulder surgery. I understand that for someone exceptionally tall it can be annoying but at the same time the little bit of comfort goes a long way. Premium economy on 767 United has more legroom anyway so is never an issue. If you’re basic economy you can’t really complain.

Back