Ready player one

I watched it with my 7 year old yesterday. I saw it at the cinema, and I knew he'd appreciate a lot of the video game references. I did wince at the "f***ing chuckie" bit (I completely forgot that bit from the cinema), but he just turned to me and said "I know that's a naughty word Dad". Agree with those who said that it was completely unnecessary.

The Shining section bothered him more than I thought it would too.
Probably a miscalculation on my part, but in my defence, I did talk him out of wanting to see The Meg.

Only saw it on the plane going over to Florida and enjoyed it. Will watch again on big tv when it comes out to get a proper aspect of its visual effects

Read the book last week. Enjoyed it some of the dialogue is horrific but I suppose that's the point...

Might watch the filum tonight on the tv

yes Dave I know I won't see the visual effects in all their glory.

I thought the 3d was decent, but a way behind the likes of ragnarok, oz the great and powerful, could have been pushed more

You heard the rumours that mission impossible 6 wont get a 3d blu ray ffs

Haven't tried any of the above in 3D, will try them soon!

I really hope they don't start dropping 3D. LG have shown how to do it properly now on home sets...get it back!

I watched it with my 7 year old yesterday. I saw it at the cinema, and I knew he'd appreciate a lot of the video game references. I did wince at the "f***ing chuckie" bit (I completely forgot that bit from the cinema), but he just turned to me and said "I know that's a naughty word Dad". Agree with those who said that it was completely unnecessary.

The Shining section bothered him more than I thought it would too.
Probably a miscalculation on my part, but in my defence, I did talk him out of wanting to see The Meg.

As unnecessary as it may have been, it had me creased tbh, because it was so out of leftfield.

Haven't tried any of the above in 3D, will try them soon!

I really hope they don't start dropping 3D. LG have shown how to do it properly now on home sets...get it back!

Skyscraper, the meg, predator , venom, fantastic beasts 2, wreck it ralph 2 will all get blu ray releases but v worried they wont scrape through until the avatar sequel and hopefully a shot in the arm for 3d

always fancied watching it but I think i'd struggle to convince my wife that it's worth a watch. Haven't used the 3D on my TV for ages so would have to dig out the glasses.

Thor ragnarok
Dr strange
Black panther
Ghost in the shell
King arthur legend of the sword

All class recent efforts, but ive found older ones in poundland and cex for nowt

To be fair 3d is dead on its arse. You struggle to even buy a 3d tv now.

Aye there was only pana had a 3d model in 2017, the ex750, and the sony zd9 which cost a fortune.

Only preowned sets, projectors and ps4 vr left to buy now.

Last edited:
I dig my 3D glasses out every now and then for the ones they put on Sky Movies.

I
really enjoyed Justice League. There was another one called Geostorm, I gave up with the glasses halfway though; not only was it a crap film, it was a shambolic 'post production' 3D attempt.

I think the fact that Sky have buried the 3D films in the depths of the Sky Movies menu suggests they're probably going to phase them out soon.

I
really enjoyed Justice League. There was another one called Geostorm, I gave up with the glasses halfway though; not only was it a crap film, it was a shambolic 'post production' 3D attempt.

I think the fact that Sky have buried the 3D films in the depths of the Sky Movies menu suggests they're probably going to phase them out soon.

when did they drop the 3d footie?

years and years aago, they dropped the sky 3d channel in 2015 I think, moved to download only in the menu

I

is the pic quality via the download as good as via blu ray?

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the film as I've always found Speilberg stuff boring.

A weird bit at the end though, when the police are keeping back the adoring fans, one of the policemen noticeably has their hand on a ladies boob.

I'll be honest, I never tried it. They seem to focusing on 4K footy now. Not tried that either, cos I am too tight to pay for Sky Sports.

is the pic quality via the download as good as via blu ray?
Not noticeably worse in my experience, particularly if you are downloading to watch later. If you're watching the channels live, it can be a bit hit and miss as Sky tend to vary the bit-rate of their movie channels. I had a shocking one a few years ago (Jason Bourne). Really blocky; poor quality. It was virtually unwatchable. I checked the satellite bit rates on DigitalBitRate and they'd actually dropped the rate right down to less than 1MBps. Emailed to complain and they just gave me a Sky Store voucher in response.

With 3D, they use Side-by-Side mode, which means you're getting half the horizontal resolution in each eye, so it's not quite as sharp.

I'll be honest, I never tried it. They seem to focusing on 4K footy now. Not tried that either, cos I am too tight to pay for Sky Sports.

Not noticeably worse in my experience, particularly if you are downloading to watch later. If you're watching the channels live, it can be a bit hit and miss as Sky tend to vary the bit-rate of their movie channels. I had a shocking one a few years ago (Jason Bourne). Really blocky; poor quality. It was virtually unwatchable. I checked the satellite bit rates on DigitalBitRate and they'd actually dropped the rate right down to less than 1MBps. Emailed to complain and they just gave me a Sky Store voucher in response.

With 3D, they use Side-by-Side mode, which means you're getting half the horizontal resolution in each eye, so it's not quite as sharp.

aye thought it might be a bit like that- geostorm looked canny enough on the 3d blu ray most the time, but nowhere near the standard of the recent batch of good ones.

SBS means half res :cry: Our eyes deserve full res in each eye, Sky need to up their game. but don't think it'll happen.

SBS means half res :cry: Our eyes deserve full res in each eye, Sky need to up their game. but don't think it'll happen.
Don't think it's Sky, I think it's just a natural limitation of the format. To get 3D, you need two separate images being shown simulataneously, so you've got to halve the image somehow. You'd need a 4K stream to get full HD on SBS.

Back