Reading that Burnley want a permanent deal for Dunne!

He's not been great but for a reasonable fee I'd happily see him come here and we can develop him. At 21 there's still plenty of chance he can improve as a player, especially in that position. Been underwhelming as a loan with no option to buy because I don't think he significantly improves us, but he is one who could be worth bringing in permanently

Bit of a contradiction there. If he's not good enough in this division then its more dead wood to shift on next season when(if) we go up. Will be in the first year of a contract so wont be keen himself to move on

Positional sense, timing of tackles etc you can work on and develop. A complete lack of technique you cannot i'm afraid. Never seen a player so uncomfortable on the ball in my life.

Bit of a contradiction there. If he's not good enough in this division then its more dead wood to shift on next season when(if) we go up. Will be in the first year of a contract so wont be keen himself to move on

It's not a contradiction at all. I don't think he's much better than what we've got at present so it's a bit disappointing as a loan with no option to buy because I don't think we should be developing other people's players unless they're a step up from what we've got.

He is, however, 4 and 6 years younger than Baldwin and Flanagan. That means fuck all if we're just getting him for part of one season and don't own him, but if there's a chance to sign him it's different. I think he's as likely as the others are to be able to make the step up (he's not significantly better than them at this stage but I wouldn't say he's much worse) but his age means he might become significantly better than the other two in the future. At that point we either have a Championship standard defender in the squad or we can sell him and make a decent profit.

Because he's okay for now and might improve significantly I think he'd be worth bringing in permanently if we can get a decent deal, I think he might eventually become a good Championship centre back and have a bit of value. I can hold that opinion whilst still thinking he doesn't currently improve us significantly without it being a contradiction

We sold John Egan without giving him a game and he has gone on to prove what a bad piece of business that was. A lot of CBs get better as they get older ( until their pace leaves them ). Dunne is a decent prospect

But we were in the Premiership when we sold Egan and he's never played a top flight game, so not bad business at the time, we've just dropped whilst he's improved a bit.

Would rather we sign him and look to develop him than bring in some over the hill knacker looking for a final payday.

I don't think he's great, but he's worth taking a gamble on if the fee is right, he will develop as he's only 21.

FWIW - If we go up we would need two new centre half's.

depends what division we are in, at this level our CBs arent bad..we have the third best defeisnce record in this league..

We’ve only conceded 34 goals this season, only Barnsley and Luton have conceded less.

Given the situation we were in at the start of the season I’d say we’ve done pretty well. There is always room for improvement but to say they are all not good enough is very harsh.

Can see just by watching them they're poor though, look absolute liabilities a lot of the time.The 2 teams above us at present are the teams that have conceded fewer goals.

Too many 1-1 draws could be our downfall. Shite centre back play a big reason why we can't keep the ball out our net & keep clean sheets. McLaughlin bails them out a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Young, physically strong, plenty of potential to develop and after a shaky start he has looked better every week.....Huge learning curve for him being played out on a massive stage, I would keep him.

I'm not so sure mate, the jury's still out from me at the minute.

With every potential deal it would depend on the fee and his personal terms. However due to his successful loan in Scotland, Burnley may want around 1million and at that price he certainly is not worth a punt for us.

John Egan is 26, he left Sunderland five years ago and he signed for Sheffield United this season. You think we should have lads 25 year old playing in the odd cup game for four seasons in case we get relegated two divisions again?

No .i am saying he should have been given a chance when he was with us and 19, 20 yo. Like Pickford and our current crop of youngsters. If you dont give them a chance you will never know. Some will immediately step up. Like Honeyman did last season and Maja this

But we were in the Premiership when we sold Egan and he's never played a top flight game, so not bad business at the time, we've just dropped whilst he's improved a bit.

If we sold Egan we got nowt for him. If we had loaned him out rather than sold him he would have saved us money. I dont think that was good business

Last edited:
No .i am saying he should have been given a chance when he was with us and 19, 20 yo. Like Pickford and our current crop of youngsters. If you dont give them a chance you will never know. Some will immediately step up. Like Honeyman did last season and Maja this
If we were still in the Premier League it's unlikely Honeyman would still be here. It's unlikely Maja would've been near the first team this season.

Pickford didn't immediately step up. He played well out on loan working his way up the divisions for a few seasons before he got a Premier League start. Honeyman didn't immediately step up, we stepped down. Maja took his chance with both hands, then decided he didn't want to be here.

Players don't need a run in the first team for the staff at the club to see how good they are.

Back