Re-wilding

In my first proper job I separated mortgage applications into single pages, placed each side of the page on a scanner and pressed a button to scan the image to microfiche. All day. Every day.

My brother did something similar - photocopier operator for an engineering company. His working life has been full of drudgery, mine has been full of travel and wildlife. The simple difference between us: I'm up in the clouds dreaming of what I'd like to do, and then I find ways to do it; he's been nose to the grindstone since he left college. Same upbringing, completely different outcomes.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

just think how many property millionaires you helped make and all he did was help some scabby deer or summat.
:lol:

Most interesting bit was coming across Terry McDermott's mortgage application when he was assistant to Keegan.
My brother did something similar - photocopier operator for an engineering company. His working life has been full of drudgery, mine has been full of travel and wildlife. The simple difference between us: I'm up in the clouds dreaming of what I'd like to do, and then I find ways to do it; he's been nose to the grindstone since he left college. Same upbringing, completely different outcomes.
Ah thanks make me feel better :lol: Drudgery indeed!

Thankfully moved on to bigger and better things with hard work and my life has been full of travel and adventure too. Though nothing I can say has been as fulfilling as saving an endangered species. Well done chief.

Last edited:
I started out in production control at British Steel In Aycliffe. Happily I moved on and have been to over 80 countries.

Anyone who gets the opportunity to travel: TAKE IT

It’ll change your life forever

Wild bison to return to UK for first time in 6,000 years

Yanar i'm all for stuff like this, I think it's brilliant. Same with the beavers being re-introduced in Devon. But my main issue with the re-wilding, is how slow it is. Do they really think that introducing a herd of four bison (three females), is going to affect the British countryside that much? It's not really going to create much biodiversity is it.

Same with the beavers. They introduced them claiming it was a research project to see if they would be beneficial, and the project would last five years. It's been five years, and despite only finding positive outcomes from it, their extending the research period for another five years. What's the point?

All this banging on about how depleted of wildlife the UK is, but the people in charge seem to be so weak willed about it. Oh no, we must only re-introduce four bison (bearing in mind female bison arnly have one bairn a year) as ramblers will be fuming that they can't ramble all awa the shop anymore.
I thought I saw a wild one a while back but it wisent.

Btw, if anyone fancies seeing scimitar-horned oryx in the wild (when we're allowed to travel again), Bou-Hedma National Park in central Tunisia is the place. They've also got another reintroduced desert antelope, the addax. There's talk about reintroducing cheetahs there when the antelope populations are large enough to sustain predation.
I do think some of the reintroduction programs are fantastic. I have often thought that if I had the skills and could afford a wage drop (unfortunately anything like this is generally not that well paid), I'd consider a career change. Certainly if I won the lottery and was going to do volunteer work then reintroductions is something I would look at.

pretty sure you stole that story off an episode of red dwarf

I once hit a deer on my motorbike (what it was doing on my motorbike I'll never know) but crashing into a bison doesn't bear thinking about.

Saving the planet and all that, but haway.
What next? Dinosaurs?

I once hit a deer on my motorbike (what it was doing on my motorbike I'll never know) but crashing into a bison doesn't bear thinking about.

Saving the planet and all that, but haway.
What next? Dinosaurs?
There has been talk about reintroducing woolly mammoths, though it is a bit controversial. There is the feeling that in the Russian tundra areas, they could be very positive landscape engineers, in the same way beavers have been in wetlands and wild boar in forest areas. But they have been gone so long they don't know if the impact will be positive or not.

As we don't have any alive today, they would clone them by splicing mammoth DNA with elephant, but make sure it had the right properties. Some argue that it is not bringing them back, it is just making very hairy elephants. There is also the argument that if they did get them back with the huge tusks they have, it would be a poachers dream. There is already issues in the tundra with very damaging operations to dig up mammoth remains for their ivory. Then there is the cost. It would be massive, could it not be better spent saving something viable rather than what some see almost as a vanity project.

We didn't wipe out the dinos, that was nature.
We should only reintroduce things that were doing just fine until we came along and fucked things up

I totally agree but it's already been done. I saw it on a documentary with David Attenborough ... or was it Dickie Attenborough?

There has been talk about reintroducing woolly mammoths, though it is a bit controversial. There is the feeling that in the Russian tundra areas, they could be very positive landscape engineers, in the same way beavers have been in wetlands and wild boar in forest areas. But they have been gone so long they don't know if the impact will be positive or not.

As we don't have any alive today, they would clone them by splicing mammoth DNA with elephant, but make sure it had the right properties. Some argue that it is not bringing them back, it is just making very hairy elephants. There is also the argument that if they did get them back with the huge tusks they have, it would be a poachers dream. There is already issues in the tundra with very damaging operations to dig up mammoth remains for their ivory. Then there is the cost. It would be massive, could it not be better spent saving something viable rather than what some see almost as a vanity project.

Thanks. I didn't know that. While the idea of having hairy elephants is quite appealing, it sounds like the whole idea has too many negatives and too much uncertainty to justify the risk.

I have a mental picture of Putin leading his troops on these things, over the Alps to conquer Europe, like some prehistoric Hannibal

I totally agree but it's already been done. I saw it on a documentary with David Attenborough ... or was it Dickie Attenborough?

Thanks. I didn't know that. While the idea of having hairy elephants is quite appealing, it sounds like the whole idea has too many negatives and too much uncertainty to justify the risk.

I have a mental picture of Putin leading his troops on these things, over the Alps to conquer Europe, like some prehistoric Hannibal
There are actually a lot of positives too, same as the idea of reintroducing wolves, but like that, it is not all win win.

Without any parents I wonder how they would fare though, they wouldn't have a scoobies what to do as a wild mammoth in the tundra would they or deep in their dna would some natural instinct kick in?
Sorry if that sounds like a daft question I just thought about it when introducing long extinct creatures.

Without any parents I wonder how they would fare though, they wouldn't have a scoobies what to do as a wild mammoth in the tundra would they or deep in their dna would some natural instinct kick in?
Sorry if that sounds like a daft question I just thought about it when introducing long extinct creatures.
I think it is a valid question and I’m not sure anyone knows. I guess it is similar to animals raised for reintroduction from captive stock They are raised in a semi wild enclosed environment with minimal human contact and left for instinct to kick in.

Back