Ray Stubbs Channel 4 this morning

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WheyHey

Big Ray joined in the plethera of media darlings this morning by slagging off Sunderland supports for giving PR a hard time. Well I cracked and for the first time wrote to the BBC. Thought I would share my comments with you all:-

Dear Mr. Stubbs

May I first begin by saying as football magazine programmes go Football Focus has always been my particular favourite. This is due, in no little way, to your good self. I have long admired your laid-back style, neutrality and ability to put pundits on the spot. Keep up the good work.

What I mean is stick to the BBC. They must have scriptwriters who think long and hard before you speak. If you must appear on other channels: a) take a writer with you, b) try thinking before you speak. I am of course referring to your appearance on channel 4’s RISE this a.m. RISE is an aptly named programme, as you appear to have got one from me. You apparently thought after you spoke, as you did mention you would not be welcome in the North East for a while. May I correct you on this? First, of course you will be welcome. In Newcastle! Second, the North East covers a huge area. I am sure you will be welcome in most of it, Middlesborough, Hartlepool, Darlington, for example. Finally, ‘for a while’? How wrong you are. In Sunderland and surrounding boroughs try ‘a lifetime’.

Please indulge me while I explain. Then when you do speak on the subject again, thinking this time before hand, you will be able to give an informed opinion.

40,000 plus people of Sunderland do appreciate what has happened at our beloved club over the last decade. We were teetering on the brink of disaster. Languishing at the foot of the second division. Our home was a much loved but dilapidated Roker Park. Our squad reflected years of little / poor investment. Our proud history marred by the selfish antics of the likes of Mr Cowie, Mr Mackem-enemy etc. Then, in the nick of time, from over the horizon, rode the dynamic duo of Big Bucks Bob and Proud Pistol Pete.

Hard work and team spirit rescued us from relegation. Shrewd business sense began to create a bank balance moving in the right direction. Vision and belief moved us to a stadium that must rank within the top five in the U.K. Wise investments in the transfer market saw us spend little yet still gain a squad with flare and talent. That squad’s passion put aside the disappointment of relegation and being pipped at the post for promotion, to see us finish division one champions with a record number of points. In the background further investment in infrastructure saw work begin on a training academy that will be the envy of many a top club. More hard work, the art of surprise and a seemingly psychic partnership between a little fellow and an Irish saint saw us knocking on the door of Europe. The sun set on a hopeful throng of supporters whose attendance belittled most. They didn’t notice a dark cloud approaching.

Frustration is born of ignorance and confusion. I shall explain those impostors in reverse order:

Confusion.
Beginning from the highest position in years, why not consolidate or even strengthen? Why weaken by selling and not replacing? Has the vision and belief changed?

When the opposition has rumbled a successful tactic and you carry surprise no longer, why not change that tactic? Is it that much of the flare and talent has gone leaving you no option but to stick to your guns?

With a believed wisdom in the transfer market why suddenly begin spending no little sums on players that never reach their apparent potential? Is it that wisdom was really luck?

With a history of shrewd business sense why pay minimum wage (premiership rates of course) to players yet make the manager one of the highest paid in the country? Is it that the majority shareholder is not as shrewd as the 5% holder?

When a short run of defeats demoralises lads that have seen demotion yet not been dejected is it that they ‘just need to work harder’ or is it that the team spirit has been forced out?

With an academy fit for the 21st century and many a ‘one for the future’ champing at the bit, why put a dinosaur in charge? Is he the result of scouring Europe for top talent?

After finishing by the skin of your teeth in the premiership, why spend the summer earning pocket change in Japan when those around you are snapping up talent left, right and centre forward?

Why am I so confused? Do you need to ask?

And now Ignorance.
Please can I have some answers? NO!
Has the vision of the PLC changed? No comment from the club.
Why did the likes of Summerbee, Johnston, Hutchinson, Bridges, Makin leave? No comment from the club.
Why do we buy some players and not give them a chance and others too much of a chance? No comment from the club.
Why don’t players want to come to a club with huge support and fine facilities? No comment from the club.
Why do shrewd businessmen not communicate with their customers? NO COMMENT FROM THE CLUB!

I hope this has helped a little Ray. You see Peter chooses to be in the public eye and has many friends in the publicity game that help him do this. But he is first and foremost paid to be the public face of a not very public, public limited company. The once, his public, now want to know, publicly, whats going on. He has stated, in public, he wont quit. So perhaps we will have to wait till we are further made the public laughing stock and he is made a public scapegoat before he washes his dirty linen in public and I can visit my local public house in peace.

P.S. If you’re a pal of Pete’s you’d be wise not to mention him publicly anymore till after September the 22nd. After that day he will be loved again or ????

quality mate - I hate people sticking their beaks in on our business
got an e-mail address like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back