The SMB Book thread

Along the same dystopian lines, I thoroughly recommend this, from the author of The Boys from Brazil and Rosemary's Baby:

Logon or register to see this image

And this, a dystopian nightmare by a Soviet author who was inspired to write it by his time in - I kid you not - South Shields:

:lol: Wow. Thanks. They're both added to the list, but I just say your description of the second book has captured my interest ;)

Going to sea in a sieve Danny Baker.
Probably the most boring book in history.
1 out of 10 as it did show a little promise at the beginnng.

Mystery in the Channel, Martin Edwards.
Old Novel from eighty years or so ago.
Good who done it. Good read. 7 out f 10.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gilead by Marilynne Robinson 9/10
In 1950s rural America, a 70-something pastor writes a long letter to his 7-year-old son. Quite a lot of theology, which isn't really my bag. But it's beautifully written, and brings the place and its people to life. I'll definitely make time for the other two books in the trilogy, which focus on the same place and time from different perspectives.

Arnhem. The battle for survival by Tony Rennell and John Nichol (shot down pilot first gulf war paraded on telly by saddam)

10/10. £3.99 paperback in the Works bookstores.

amazing stuff

The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon 6/10
Very much of its time. A drug-induced, drug-addled tale of postal services. It undoubtedly influenced a generation of writers, so the impact's lessened when you come to it after reading them.

A Confederacy of Dunces
by John Kennedy Toole 10/10
This is one of the books influenced by the above. I've probably had three copies of it over the years, and never got round to reading it. Wish I had. It's the Withnail and I of literature.

Last edited:
Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss

Second part of the Kingkiller Chronicles - superbly written fantasy with great characters and intelligent pace and plotting. The first part was also very good. If you like fantasy stuff I would highly recommend them.

just started The Secret Life of Uri Geller....CIA MASTERSPY

intriguing stuff. Real eye opener

one fact from the book is that teleportation is possible and the last record released was 16km by Chinese scientists in 1997, sending an object

@ProfessionalMackem

Before that though, Handmaid's Tale- Margaret Atwood.
9/10 - fantastic. Only give it a 9 not a 10 because I'm comparing it to Brave New World and 1984.
1984 had the *shock* moment, and Brave New World was more 'accurate' to symbolising actual events.
Brilliant writing though. Really did not expect the end.

I love that book so so much. I read it in school for my English lit A-Level and have read it a few times since.

Gilead by Marilynne Robinson 9/10
In 1950s rural America, a 70-something pastor writes a long letter to his 7-year-old son. Quite a lot of theology, which isn't really my bag. But it's beautifully written, and brings the place and its people to life. I'll definitely make time for the other two books in the trilogy, which focus on the same place and time from different perspectives.

I read it last year and hated it so much :lol: I found it boring and rambling in parts. However, funnily enough I was told off by someone recently who had the same opinion as you that it was a masterpiece, exquisite in it's details of the memories and thought process of the ageing man - so I accept that my view might well be unorthodox.

I concluded that perhaps one needs children and/or a belief in god to fully enjoy it.

Last edited:
The Khan Series by Conn Iggulden. 9/10 Four books about the rise of Genghis and his lot of murderous nutters. A right rollicking read and fairly historically accurate. I've read them before but thought I'd revisit them as I was in Kazakhstan for a month.

The Khan Series by Conn Iggulden. 9/10 Four books about the rise of Genghis and his lot of murderous nutters. A right rollicking read and fairly historically accurate. I've read them before but thought I'd revisit them as I was in Kazakhstan for a month.
Been meaning to read those for a while. Read the emperor series and loved them.

Standing in another Mans Grave. Ian Rankin, Eight from Ten. Excellent.
Based on a period after Rebus has officially retired but is working on historical unsolved crimes.
As always the crack is as entertaining as the plot.

Along the same dystopian lines, I thoroughly recommend this, from the author of The Boys from Brazil and Rosemary's Baby:

And this, a dystopian nightmare by a Soviet author who was inspired to write it by his time in - I kid you not - South Shields:

I read Zamyatin's book in my late teens purely because it inspired my favourite book at that time, 1984. Its blown me away that my hometown was the inspiration for the lot! Amazing trivia!

I've bought and lost a copy of the confederacy of dunces. Iirc the author commited suicide because publishers wouldn't read it either. His mam had to beg someone to read it and they immediately knew it was a classic. I thought the backstory was class but didn't read it. :lol:

Last edited:
9/10 excellent read.

Aye that's a good read Ted.

I got that one and Rod's autobiography both for Christmas a few years ago. It's clear that Townshend as the tortured artist will go down in history as one of the greats whereas Rod will always be regarded as a it of a joke due to several questionable decisions he's made through this career. But having read them one right after the other there's no question if I had the chance to swap places I'd prefer to have lived Rod's life than Pete's!

Back