Rate Donald’s time as owner so far out of 10

This time last year I liked him and would have gave him a 7/8 but because of this managerial/ investment mess and our lack of spending over the summer he’s slipped to at 3 or 4 at best for me
After he took over I was unsure of his intentions. I am still unsure and have never been sure during his time here. At his peak I would have rated him a 4 out of 10.

Now I would rate him 1 at best. Hes never been good for this club.

On the one hand he's built up a successful insurance and car leasing business.

On the other hand he's put his reputation on the line throwing in with Charlie getting involved with not one but two leveraged buyouts.

The first one used parachute payments meant to ease the drop from Premier League to League One.

The second was an "investment" using our infrastructure as security.

He's putting money in the slot of a fairground ride and his time is coming up.

The question is what happens to SAFC once the ride stops.

On the one hand he's built up a successful insurance and car leasing business.

On the other hand he's put his reputation on the line throwing in with Charlie getting involved with not one but two leveraged buyouts.

The first one used parachute payments meant to ease the drop from Premier League to League One.

The second was an "investment" using our infrastructure as security.

He's putting money in the slot of a fairground ride and his time is coming up.

The question is what happens to SAFC once the ride stops.

I think this is a bit harsh mind. Although he did go on about a £40m I think it's now been clearly established that the deal for the shares was £15m, and that seems to have been paid by Donald (maybe in instalments). The rest was paying the SBC loan off, has Short just kept that debt in SAFC, the parachute payment would have come in and been used to pay it off directly. It was a club debt, a crippling one, and the parachute payment was used to pay it off, which seems like the kind of thing it should be used for. The new loan concerned me at first but apparently its fairly standard, plus they've added the bit in about being able to convert it into shares so I'm happy enough that it's all fairly standard. I'm sure GOM has clarified both bits of this on a few occasions but people persist with saying he bought the club using parachute payments, which isn't really helpful. There's lots to criticise Donald about, and I've been vocal in doing so, but this one doesn't seem to be anything that he's done wrong

I think this is a bit harsh mind. Although he did go on about a £40m I think it's now been clearly established that the deal for the shares was £15m, and that seems to have been paid by Donald (maybe in instalments). The rest was paying the SBC loan off, has Short just kept that debt in SAFC, the parachute payment would have come in and been used to pay it off directly. It was a club debt, a crippling one, and the parachute payment was used to pay it off, which seems like the kind of thing it should be used for. The new loan concerned me at first but apparently its fairly standard, plus they've added the bit in about being able to convert it into shares so I'm happy enough that it's all fairly standard. I'm sure GOM has clarified both bits of this on a few occasions but people persist with saying he bought the club using parachute payments, which isn't really helpful. There's lots to criticise Donald about, and I've been vocal in doing so, but this one doesn't seem to be anything that he's done wrong

The loan is standard, secured by a charge on the assets of Madrox and the SSOL and the Academy and everything else. The debt to equity option is also very standard. But that doesn't make the whole nature of the Loan any less alarming. Look behind the documentation and one has owners that are not prepared to put further cash in the business. This will not end well unless the Yanks are genuine 'investors'.

All I care about is results, they aren't there. We're a football club at the end of the day and the aim should be to build a quality team and to win games. I just don't get where they're coming from with this appointment at all. I'm yet to see any improvement, we seem to be going gradually backwards, it's so frustrating. Gutted.

At every senior level we seem to have lost the will to win

Zero. Seems to have a habit of bad decision making and who like his mixes business with pleasure?

Definitely not a quick buck chancer who wouldn't have sold his full share portfolio in the summer under any circumstances as he's in it for the long term. Doesn't seem to have a price like other businessman and is serving a higher purpose. Very commendable 👍

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it’s time to re-visit this.
As the weeks/months tick by we’re learning more & more about Steward Donald as an owner.

5.5/10 JR was his downfall and a terrible appointment,PP not much better but he has JRs out of shape bunch to get into shape

Back