Rate Donald’s time as owner so far out of 10

I would still give him a 6/10.

He’s obviously stabilized the finances of the club, which was probably the most pressing issue at the time he took ownership.

The appointment of PP and general recruitment has been very poor. It’s a football club, it’s judged first and foremost by the league table position. We’re a long way off where we should be after 16 months.

He’s obviously stabilized the finances of the club, which was probably the most pressing issue at the time he took ownership.

The appointment of PP and general recruitment has been very poor. It’s a football club, it’s judged first and foremost by the league table position. We’re a long way off where we should be after 16 months.

Ellis Short walked away from the debts owed to him and now the club has borrowed another £20million in little over a year.

You’re being lied to.

Every decision they have made has been a disaster. We’re mid table in league one and the u23’s and u18’s haven’t won a league game between them all season.

I can’t even fathom why a single supporter would consider giving them any credit at all, let alone 6/10. Where’s your standards man? This is Sunderland football club and they’re killing everything good about the club. We’re dying with them in charge.

Chancers is too kind a word to describe them. We’ve all been conned and it staggers me to think everyone still can’t see it.

Last edited:
Ellis Short walked away from the debts owed to him and now the club has borrowed another £20million in little over a year.
What people are forgetting is that ES not only created a mountain of debt, he also created an unsustainable model whereby income was totally dwarfed by outgoings.
He can be thanked for writing off the debt, but should also still be blamed for the second problem which means that inevitably debts keep mounting back up.
SD & co have worked towards getting rid of that second part of the ES problem, at horrendous cost to the squad.
Although to be fair, they did sort out the shit that is Rodwell, Djillibodji, NDong etc. The current bunch of incompetents are a far better reason to support the lads than that bunch of selfish bastards.

If the indications of success for a business owner - of a business in trouble - is to 1. halt the decline then 2. improve : then, in purely SAFC football terms, the measures would be to 1. not get relegated again and 2. Get promoted.

So I’ll give him a 1 point for not getting relegated to League 2. Because there’d have had to have been a particular effort to achieve that level of decline. That’s a decreasing requirement as time goes by.

Perhaps a *future* measure of success will be avoidance of relegation.

Depressing innit?

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember when he sold our gem of an academy product who had 15 goals in 21 games (Imagine!!!)

Honeymoon over and benefit of doubt well and truly gone now. 0/10 until promoted. He's earned nothing.

for the club 5

for his investment return 9

truth is he can probably make more personal financial gain out of us in league 1 than he could the championship

in fairness he has been fairly open about this and taken the necessary actions

the risk is falling attendances

For the start - getting shot of the deadwood and stabilising the club - 8/10. (lost marks for Maja).
Since Wembley - 2/10. Ross fucked up Wembley, not them, but he should have paid the price. PP - oh, dear, what can one say that hasn't already been said by thousands of fans crying into their pints...? We're in bits now, and it's on their watch.

You’re being lied to.

Every decision they have made has been a disaster. We’re mid table in league one and the u23’s and u18’s haven’t won a league game between them all season.

I can’t even fathom why a single supporter would consider giving them any credit at all, let alone 6/10. Where’s your standards man? This is Sunderland football club and they’re killing everything good about the club. We’re dying with them in charge.

Chancers is too kind a word to describe them. We’ve all been conned and it staggers me to think everyone still can’t see it.

This. 1 out of 10. They have mortgaged the whole kit and kaboodle for 10m quid. There is no value in the club. Who would pay more than 10m for us in our current state?

What people are forgetting is that ES not only created a mountain of debt, he also created an unsustainable model whereby income was totally dwarfed by outgoings.
He can be thanked for writing off the debt, but should also still be blamed for the second problem which means that inevitably debts keep mounting back up.
SD & co have worked towards getting rid of that second part of the ES problem, at horrendous cost to the squad.
Although to be fair, they did sort out the shit that is Rodwell, Djillibodji, NDong etc. The current bunch of incompetents are a far better reason to support the lads than that bunch of selfish bastards.
If that is the case what's the point in going on. Got rid of the money grabbers but replaced them with CRAP with no prospect of improvement.

You’re being lied to.

If you look at al the stuff they have said over the period of their ownership amd compared it with what they have actually done any sane person will come to the same conclusion as you!Its evetything they do is on the cheap and littered with mistakes....nothing is done properly !Even the seat replacement ,they cocked that up because of their slap dash cheapscate approach... We have four white corners because they didnt realise the blocks did not line up and the white lettering has no shaddow seats to add a bit of texture to the lettering ..compare it to the east stand done by bain...I know its small stuff but it highlights their cheap ham fisted approach!
I fear for our club under their ownership and i want them out!
Don always said he would go when the fans wanted him out,so i personally think february will be the time when the fans turn in their numbers......I allso think that statement was bullshit and the loan from the yanks is to cover the drop in revenue as the crowds go sub 20 thousand as we stay in league one for a season or two more!They will have a plan on revenue looking at wages and crowd numbers and will be looking to get to an average league one level and as long as the crowds pay for that they will be happy...........sad days ahead folks!

Last edited:

A very generous 6 then mate
If you look at al the stuff they have said over the period of their ownership amd compared it with what they have actually done any sane person will come to the same conclusion as you!Its evetything they do is on the cheap and littered with mistakes....nothing is done properly !Even the seat replacement ,they cocked that up because of their slap dash cheapscate approach... We have four white corners because they didnt realise the blocks did not line up and the white lettering has no shaddow seats to add a bit of texture to the lettering ..compare it to the east stand done by bain...I know its small stuff but it highlights their cheap ham fisted approach!
I fear for our club under their ownership and i want them out!
Don always said he would go when the fans wanted him out,so i personally think february will be the time when the fans turn in their numbers......I allso think that statement was bullshit and the loan from the yanks is to cover the drop in revenue as the crowds go sub 20 thousand as we stay in league one for a season or two more!They will have a plan on revenue looking at wages and crowd numbers and will be looking to get to an average league one level and as long as the crowds pay for that they will be happy...........sad days ahead folks!

The worry for me is when he said on the radio that, if he defaults in the loan payments to the Yanks and they own everything lock, stock then it's what we want anyway. In other words, we'll get what we deserve if it goes horribly wrong.

Last edited:

Back