Rasberry Pi400

Malloy

Winger
So after a day of videos nd research I've just ordered the Rasberry Pi400.

Anyone have this version?

It's a pi4 in a keyboard with a mouse so should be good for some amiga and spectrum emulation.

Will also try a few old console emulators aswell.

Can't wait for it to arrive now.

So after a day of videos nd research I've just ordered the Rasberry Pi400.

Anyone have this version?

It's a pi4 in a keyboard with a mouse so should be good for some amiga and spectrum emulation.

Will also try a few old console emulators aswell.

Can't wait for it to arrive now.
Yes, I'm trying to convince my school to buy them instead of windows 10 computers or iPad's.

Decent piece of kit.

Yes, I'm trying to convince my school to buy them instead of windows 10 computers or iPad's.

Decent piece of kit.
They're okay for experimenting but aren't a Windows 10 or iPad replacement. Ive literally tried every os available trying to get them to replace some windows 10 systems at work and they just fall short im afraid. Things like libre office doesnt work as aswell as ms office, web browsers are also limited and don't work aswell. Then youve got issues with keeping them upto date

They're okay for experimenting but aren't a Windows 10 or iPad replacement. Ive literally tried every os available trying to get them to replace some windows 10 systems at work and they just fall short im afraid. Things like libre office doesnt work as aswell as ms office, web browsers are also limited and don't work aswell. Then youve got issues with keeping them upto date
For educational purposes they're ok, and our old systems were frozen so haven't been updated for 5 years.

How well does Ubuntu run on a recent Pi? Do they have enough power to run it well?

I was having loads of issues with a Samsung laptop running Windows 10 as Samsung had withdrawn all support and removed all of the drivers from their site (Thanks Samsung it wasn't an old laptop that you turned into a brick!) - anyway as it was useless for Windows anymore I put Ubuntu onto it and was pleasantly surprised at how well that has come on over the years and how easy to use it was. Everything worked as well without any tinkering which impressed me even more (multi-touch touchpad, touch screen, brightness/volume controls, keyboard lighting, camera, microphone, wifi etc etc). Software updates automatically if you want - basically a very polished package now.

How well does Ubuntu run on a recent Pi? Do they have enough power to run it well?

I was having loads of issues with a Samsung laptop running Windows 10 as Samsung had withdrawn all support and removed all of the drivers from their site (Thanks Samsung it wasn't an old laptop that you turned into a brick!) - anyway as it was useless for Windows anymore I put Ubuntu onto it and was pleasantly surprised at how well that has come on over the years and how easy to use it was. Everything worked as well without any tinkering which impressed me even more (multi-touch touchpad, touch screen, brightness/volume controls, keyboard lighting, camera, microphone, wifi etc etc). Software updates automatically if you want - basically a very polished package now.
I'm going to test it over the next few weeks as I have a few SD cards and I'm trialing Zorin for Education, so far so good, Audacity, gonk, Libre Office all work fine. And you can link it directly to a cloud based account like One Drive.

I would describe it as "OK" - it works, it runs but it isn't anywhere near the same experience as running it on "proper" hardware.

Headless they are decent, if you want mini servers to handle IoT things, or basic media servers and such like. Not as a proper desktop machine tho IMO.

Yes, I have a couple running headless here but they are just running Raspbian one is old and the other is a Pi Zero, so I wouldn't even attempt putting Ubuntu on them.

It runs okay but will need extra cooling as it gets too hot. I would buy a case with a built in fan

I run a few headless as vpn servers for matched betting. I then connect into those networks using virtual machines on my network. All connected with openvpn. Works a treat.

the devices themselves need very little tinkering once set up. I set up vnc on them just in case I need desktop access.

I run a few headless as vpn servers for matched betting. I then connect into those networks using virtual machines on my network. All connected with openvpn. Works a treat.

the devices themselves need very little tinkering once set up. I set up vnc on them just in case I need desktop access.

Thats where they excel IMO, devices to tinker with or run light weight headless servers. I have one running Homebridge to give some of my older kit HomeKit functionality, works a treat, and easily hidden away.

Weve got 200+ pi3 setup at work to show work instructions for the operators,they all stream the slideshows from our server. Our pi 4 is headless and ive set that up to copy the work instructions in case the server goes down. Good little devices and very very reliable

Weve got 200+ pi3 setup at work to show work instructions for the operators,they all stream the slideshows from our server. Our pi 4 is headless and ive set that up to copy the work instructions in case the server goes down. Good little devices and very very reliable
Mine have been running pretty much for about a year with very little interaction from me - i've set them up and stuck them to side of routers at my parents and in laws. Been spot on for me.

Back