Rangers and Sunderland equal sized clubs.

I’m far from a fan, but weren’t they hard done by? Im pretty sure Marseille were punished after they won the trophy?

No idea mate. I didn't watch it.
I’m far from a fan, but weren’t they hard done by? Im pretty sure Marseille were punished after they won the trophy?

No idea mate. I was only 7 at the time.. I've just looked it up. Seems they were robbed.
We wouldnt have had the squads weve had in the past in scotland. Bad logic

Crowds of 50000 in scotlands lower leagues.

Lets not kid ourselves here rangers are a far bigger club than sunderland and throughout history have had far better players

Some people on here are deluded

You simply don't know that.

But had rangers been in the English leagues the same amount of years we have, I find it hard to believe they'd be anywhere near as successful.

Last edited:

They fixed a match in Ligue 1 so they could be guaranteed a win but also be fresh for the European Cup Final a week later (Marseille 1-0 AC Milan). They were stripped of the league title but somehow retained the European Cup. Some suspect they'd fixed matches previously but once the state had evidence enough to prosecute the key actors for that one match no one bothered to investigate further. UEFA wanted nothing to do with it despite some strange results — Marseille 6-0 CSKA Moscow when it looked like going down to GD.

Their owner, Bernard Tapie, was sent to prison. His star-studded cycling team was known to fix races in the 80s as well, but, to be fair, that wasn't uncommon then.

😂 in 1993 - so 2 years previously - rangers were in the champions league semi finals beating our English champions home and away en route
To add a little context to this, the semi finals were done on a league basis with 2 groups of 4 and winners progressing to final so 8 teams qualified for the semi finals.
They did beat the current English champions Leeds home and away but Leeds were awful that year and finished something like 16th.

Tbf to Rangers though, they were a decent outfit back then, both current Glasgow teams pale in comparison today but both are still much bigger clubs than SAFC, we can argue we would be that big if we played in that league which would have led to us winning more trophies but we haven’t and we aren’t.

No idea mate. I didn't watch it.

No idea mate. I was only 7 at the time.. I've just looked it up. Seems they were robbed.

You simply don't know that.

But had rangers been in the English leagues the same amount of years we have, I find it hard to believe they'd be anywhere near as successful.
your income would have been far lower so it's a fair shout to say you woulnd' t have had the same players

You don't even need a history book to know Ranger's have a bar longer and bigger trophy history. And that is not even starting on the other areas that make Rangers bigger and better.

Let's not get carried away with our run of 6 without defeat. Going undefeated in half that amount is an incredible achievement given the last God knows how many years but most clubs don't break sweat going 6 without a loss. We have not even begun to go on a 'run' that can be considered very good indeed.

Without doubt you are the voice of reason - 7 games ago you had Parkinson hung, drawn and quartered

Obviously Celtic are a big club but are rangers a big club any more?

They were, but aren't really doing it any more after the whole financial mess.

They've dropped like Villa have in my eyes. Who gives a fuck outside of Scotland?

They've dropped like Villa have in my eyes. Who gives a fuck outside of Scotland?

Plenty in Northern Ireland. Got relatives over there who are big Rangers fans.

There's also plenty in England who support them, but personally, I have no time for them or Celtic. I hate the sectarianism that mars both clubs.

Although I don't like either club, they do both have massive global fanbases, so can't dispute they're both big clubs and always will be, but in many ways it's for the wrong reasons.

I don’t know who’s bigger, different countries, different league.

The most important point is surely this - who gives a flying fuck about Scotch footy outside of Albania?

Well they have a great chance of knocking Celtic off their perch this season then they could possibly be playing champions league. They have a good manager who will go on to big things imo. Like Celtic they have worldwide support still. Unbelievable following in all honesty.

Well they have a great chance of knocking Celtic off their perch this season then they could possibly be playing champions league. They have a good manager who will go on to big things imo. Like Celtic they have worldwide support still. Unbelievable following in all honesty.
They'll fail like Celtic do when they get to the CL though as they don't have the financial power

There is not much difference between the two tbf. Both of them have seen their status in the game drop and it’s going to be very hard for them to recover.

Back