Random Matches 774

Kevin Phillips mentions this is his book...except he had it as a Wednesday night with 1000 SAFC fans there...it was a Saturday with 3500
Yeah It was a Saturday... Gloriously hot, we had opened the season getting beat by sheff utd 2-0 on sky... Then beat man City in a class game(sol opening league game) so I had high hopes for port Vale game...walking away from Vale Park.. I was questioning Reid, how wrong I was.

Kevin Phillips mentions this is his book...except he had it as a Wednesday night with 1000 SAFC fans there...it was a Saturday with 3500
Deffo a Saturday with a decent turnout. Their centre forward nut megged Mary just in our half, ran on and curled it into top corner. Decent meat and potato pie was the highlight.

York city away season after Hillsboro disaster. must have 5or 6 thousand lads fans crammed behind the goal in an end which only had capacity for about 3 tops. I remember watching most of the game up a floodlight

In most cases it's the first weekend of the 03-04 season (9th August 2003) that is the hottest fixture (speaking to other fans). We (AFCB) were at Port Vale and it was absolutely roasting, must have been 35 degrees+.

May have been a little cooler up there if you were at home.

Yeah that weekend would have been my shout. We had Forest away and it was sweltering. Seem to recall you couldn’t get any water in the away end.

Yeah that weekend would have been my shout. We had Forest away and it was sweltering. Seem to recall you couldn’t get any water in the away end.

We played them in a friendly and cup game in quick succession wasn't it. Can't remember which of the two was the swelterer but the twats actively deprived water as I recall.

Sunderland 0 Spurs 4 March 1997

the smell of a night game at roker park, the crowd tight as owt to get in, then the smell of the pitch and bovril. Take up my place in the clock stand paddocks to find we were 1-0 down and a minute later 2-0 down. Iverson hat-trick in the end.

the smell of a night game at roker park, the crowd tight as owt to get in, then the smell of the pitch and bovril. Take up my place in the clock stand paddocks to find we were 1-0 down and a minute later 2-0 down. Iverson hat-trick in the end.

The Scandanavian bloke that did for us wasn't it?

Grimsby 0-0 SAFC 94ish.
Bitterly cold day, weather closed in and match abandoned after a few minutes.
Protests in ground for an hour or so and fish and chip voucher given out.
4 hour drive home as having to follow tyre tracks on main road from Grimsby to Ferrybridge as the road was covered in deep snow.

Our goalkeeper saved a penalty on his debut that day and kept a clean yet never played another game for Sunderland. I once won a quiz for knowing his name. Helped that I was at that game.
Preston 2 Sunderland 2 .

remember the away end was like a f***ing building site . Don’t know how they got away with it .

I’m not sure if There was a plastic pitch or I’m mixing it up with Oldham.

Yeah there was a plastic pitch. We qualified for Wembley with that draw by the way. Some of the oldies will know why. I was at that one as well.

Last edited:
Only went ahead because it was on the tv
Similarly in that era, the match on itv at nufc should never have gone ahead lost one nil. Red shorts and puddles everywhere.

Reid's one and only experiment with 5 at the back. Kelly was right wing back.

Last edited:
Grimsby 0-0 SAFC 94ish.
Bitterly cold day, weather closed in and match abandoned after a few minutes.
Protests in ground for an hour or so and fish and chip voucher given out.
4 hour drive home as having to follow tyre tracks on main road from Grimsby to Ferrybridge as the road was covered in deep snow.
Got handed about 8 vouchers on way out, which I seem to recall were GTFC compliment slips! You could tell half hour before ko that it shouldn't start.

Stayed in Sheffield that night, took about 3 hours in the snow!

Our goalkeeper saved a penalty on his debut that day and kept a clean yet never played another game for Sunderland. I once won a quiz for knowing his name. Helped that I was at that game.

Yeah there was a plastic pitch. We qualified for Wembley with that draw by the way. Some of the oldies will know why. I was at that one as well.
You are mixed up, Cameron Duncan saved a pelantee but that was a good 7 years earlier.

Back