Ram by Paul McCartney

I really like the album. I think a few of the leftover songs ended up on Red Rose Speedway. It's more raw and less polished than Band on the Run etc.

I watched a concert on YouTube of a band playing the album live and it really brought home the quality of some of the tunes.

Ram On is so simple but a very catchy tune. Uncle Albert /Admiral Halsey is typical McCartney joining a few odds and ends together to come up with a classic (as good as a lot of his similar Beatles tracks).

You listen to Ram today and it still sounds fresh,vibrant and exciting.It isn't just an artifact of the time it was created I guess you could say.More and more you see people from younger generations citing it as a major influence in their own work.Many of which that are making music that is entirely different from each other.As an album it sometimes sounds eccentric,unfinished,even a little slapdash in places..Yet at the same time it is rich in both melodic flair & musical adventure/diversity throughout..Personally it's an album I've always liked since I first heard it around 30 years ago.However it's only been in recent years that I've started to consider it one of my favourite albums.Purely on the basis that I still get a kick out of listening to it.

Mostly written when The Beatles were still together and Macca was competing with 2 other great songwriters for album space.

Thus quality is high.

You think he was competing?

He's the most gifted composer there's been, EDGE.
Yes. He's said it himself. He would write one, then John would come back with something better. Paul then would have to write something even better than that. That's why they were so good.

He was also only writing half an album in the Beatles whereas as a solo artist he was writing a lot more. I personally think the quality suffered as a consequence in comparison to The Beatles.

Last edited:
Yes. He's said it himself. He would write one, then John would come back with something better. Paul then would have to write something even better than that. That's why they were so good.

He was also only writing half an album in the Beatles whereas as a solo artist he was writing a lot more. I personally think the quality suffered as a consequence.
- Did you think him outwardly being humble means others have his ear for construction and melody; bridge; fingerstyle guitar; intro; piano; uke; outro and so forth
+ tenor range

It's a whitewash mate.
He is a Badman

Last edited:

Back