Raising desks / desk risers

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date
If you get your ergonomics right with your desk set up, then just taking regular breaks and having a bit of a walk about will be much more beneficial than a desk riser. Sit/stand desks can make a difference, but there are conflicting reports as to how much they do. They encourage you to be in front of that bloody screen for far too long.

Get up regularly, make yourself a drink, and take regular micro breaks even.

The last few I bought could all be controlled from an app. I had a good laugh with one of our Partners when I kept making his desk move up and down. He hadn't a clue what the fuck was going on. He's a right laugh anyway but thought his desk was "haunted" :lol:
We did that to a lads Dyson fan. Hijacked the app and kept turning it on and off. Hot/cold. He went mad and smashed it in the end. That was a good meltdown. French too.

If you get your ergonomics right with your desk set up, then just taking regular breaks and having a bit of a walk about will be much more beneficial than a desk riser. Sit/stand desks can make a difference, but there are conflicting reports as to how much they do. They encourage you to be in front of that bloody screen for far too long.

Get up regularly, make yourself a drink, and take regular micro breaks even.

The last few I bought could all be controlled from an app. I had a good laugh with one of our Partners when I kept making his desk move up and down. He hadn't a clue what the fuck was going on. He's a right laugh anyway but thought his desk was "haunted" :lol:
Spitty as an expert, what chair would your recommend? My current one probably needs replacing.

Do any of the SMB use either a raising desk or a desk riser (like this for example)? If so, have you found any benefits.

Just trialling one now and I'm not sure what I think of it TBH. Would be good to hear others' experiences
I got the full electric desk and three monitors on arms attached to it. Put the docking station on it with all the accompanying peripherals.

If you got a desktop pc you can get a cage to sling the box underneath the desktop so it is out of the way.

It has 4 presets which is handy - one for standing and one for sitting so far. Mrs MB has the other two set for her as our laptops fit the same dock.

Standing is alright, but either get a padded mat or something like crocs that are soft on your feet.

I think I'll get one of these. Just the base/legs and get me mate to knock me up the desktop. I do a lot of speaking - presentations or running workshops - and I feel much more confident doing it standing up like I would in the office. I had been just sticking the laptop on a chest of drawers but these would be great.

Spitty as an expert, what chair would your recommend? My current one probably needs replacing.
Depends what you want to spend to be honest and recommending a chair is probably one of the most difficult things to do. It can be quite a personal thing. if you are a very tiny petite little thing them you can struggle with a lot of seat bases which are too large. I had a load of issues with the Herman Miller Mirra chair from that perspective. I think i'm right in thinking that you are working from home almost full time in a "professional" environment, if so then you want what is effectively a 24 hour rated chair. Shame we are in lockdown, otherwise I may have been able to take you to a few suppliers in the Clerkenwell area who would let you try a few out to see what you like. Mesh backs and even mesh seat bases are very popular at the moment. The last ones I bought for the firm were these - kitted out an office of 100 with them, then bloody Covid struck so I haven't been able to get much feedback on how good they are.

For all I preach im actually sitting on an 80 quid amazon chair at home :lol: :lol:

Depends what you want to spend to be honest and recommending a chair is probably one of the most difficult things to do. It can be quite a personal thing. if you are a very tiny petite little thing them you can struggle with a lot of seat bases which are too large. I had a load of issues with the Herman Miller Mirra chair from that perspective. I think i'm right in thinking that you are working from home almost full time in a "professional" environment, if so then you want what is effectively a 24 hour rated chair. Shame we are in lockdown, otherwise I may have been able to take you to a few suppliers in the Clerkenwell area who would let you try a few out to see what you like. Mesh backs and even mesh seat bases are very popular at the moment. The last ones I bought for the firm were these - kitted out an office of 100 with them, then bloody Covid struck so I haven't been able to get much feedback on how good they are.

For all I preach im actually sitting on an 80 quid amazon chair at home :lol: :lol:
I've worked from home for 2 years and yes as well as work i'm doing a masters so I'm sat on it a lot. My current one is this as I thought I'd see if I can get away without spending Herman Miller type money and it's done me two years but it's beginning to get creaky and wobbly!

I've worked from home for 2 years and yes as well as work i'm doing a masters so I'm sat on it a lot. My current one is this as I thought I'd see if I can get away without spending Herman Miller type money and it's done me two years but it's beginning to get creaky and wobbly!

Thats very similar to what I work on at home :lol:

If you are over about 16 stone (which i'm sure you are not) then you are not supposed to use a chair with a gas lift.

Last edited:
I have one of these with a brown leather seat and it is fantastic. More than I intended to spend, especially for a second hand chair but glad I did.
I'd started to get various aches and pains from my previous chair but they disappeared almost overnight with this.
The leather is new and I gave the base a bit of polish with metal polish and it looks great.

I have one of these with a brown leather seat and it is fantastic. More than I intended to spend, especially for a second hand chair but glad I did.
I'd started to get various aches and pains from my previous chair but they disappeared almost overnight with this.
The leather is new and I gave the base a bit of polish with metal polish and it looks great.

Knoll are a decent manufacturer.

Thats very similar to what I work on at home :lol:

If you are over about 16 stone (which i'm sure you are not) then you are not supposed to use a chair with a gas lift.

Good job you added that! I'm not, but the lift does seem to be going, it sinks about 1cm every ten mins, sick of pulling it back up. Is there another type of lift I should be looking at?

Good job you added that! I'm not, but the lift does seem to be going, it sinks about 1cm every ten mins, sick of pulling it back up. Is there another type of lift I should be looking at?

A gas lift should be fine, but again on a cheap chair the quality won't be as good as a "professional" one. Apparently there used to be chairs with mechanical ratchet lifts for us fatties, but I have never seen or used one. Ive only ever seen gas lift chairs. It seems that they call chairs heavy duty now for the larger framed people.

Another one to have a look at:

I was suffering bad lower back pain and general aches in my arms, hips and legs. My desk was too high, so I had the chair as high it would go but my arms were still in the wrong position and I had a tilted footrest.

Bought the chair above and some legs to lower my desk to the proper height. I've got my feet on the floor now so my legs and hips are in the correct position, my arms are at the right level and I've got the lumbar support perfect for my back. I've sat at my desk for long periods of time and all the aches have gone. Wish I'd done it sooner!

A gas lift should be fine, but again on a cheap chair the quality won't be as good as a "professional" one. Apparently there used to be chairs with mechanical ratchet lifts for us fatties, but I have never seen or used one. Ive only ever seen gas lift chairs. It seems that they call chairs heavy duty now for the larger framed people.

FLT. :cool:

Back