Raising desks / desk risers

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date
Do any of the SMB use either a raising desk or a desk riser (like this for example)? If so, have you found any benefits.

Just trialling one now and I'm not sure what I think of it TBH. Would be good to hear others' experiences
yeah we have them in our NYC office. i love it; especially when i'm busy.

one of the blokes has a walking treadmill as well :lol:

It's possibly that it's moving/vibrating almost imperceptibly when you are sitting in it. Your eyes/brain are probably picking up this slight movement when you are looking at your monitor and causing the sickness. I used to get this in an office I once worked in. The floor was 'sprung' and people were always walking past, it made the desk move very slightly which in turn moved the monitor very slightly. Try sitting in it and not staring at anything.
That could be it as it has a mesh seat which has more give in it than the padded seat I'm used to.

It would also tie up with the mal de debarquement which is when something goes wrong with your ability to keep your vision fixed on one point when moving (something completely innate that we do without realising)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have spent a lot of time working from home for a number of years now, and the 2 things I would thoroughly recommend are an adjustable standing desk so you can alternate sitting and standing, and a silent PC.

I have a full desk rather than a riser, and that is what I would suggest. The price difference isn’t that much and its an altogether better solution in my opinion.

@spitfire here's one for you. So after the advice on this thread, I bought a reconditioned Herman Miller Aeron (ooo look at me, aye aa knaa) from 2ndhnd.com. It arrived today. Now here's the thing - and I can hardly believe it - it appears to be giving me motion sickness 🤮😂

Seriously, I adjusted it all so it is right for me - right height, tilt, arm height and position, lumbar support, the lot. Sat in it for about five minutes - cold sweat, lights before my eyes, white as a sheet, felt nauseous.

Have you ever had this before? Any tips? Do new chairs take some getting used to?

I do have this weird thing called mal de debarquement where if I go on a boat or ship for any length of time, my head can feel like it's wobbling for weeks after (so I can't go on boats or ships). My instinct tells me this is connected but what do I know.

I bet you're glad I don't work in your office, I'd be a reet problem child in the office chair department.

is it because you always feel like you are pushing back in the chair and it’s pushing you forward? Can you fix the lumber support and position of the chair?

alternatively is the chair on a hard wood floor or carpet?

is it because you always feel like you are pushing back in the chair and it’s pushing you forward? Can you fix the lumber support and position of the chair?

alternatively is the chair on a hard wood floor or carpet?
It's not the back and lumbar support, I've got those in the right place and reduced the amount of tilting/movement to the right amount (practically nil, the way I like it). The chair is on a wood floor.

It's not the back and lumbar support, I've got those in the right place and reduced the amount of tilting/movement to the right amount (practically nil, the way I like it). The chair is on a wood floor.

ok, I just wondered if it was constantly moving. In terms of wood floor it’s a stupid question but are the wheels meant for a carpet or hard floor? Do you have them in a fixed position?

ok, I just wondered if it was constantly moving. In terms of wood floor it’s a stupid question but are the wheels meant for a carpet or hard floor? Do you have them in a fixed position?
They’re meant for a hard floor, and they’re not moving on the floor too much at all

They’re meant for a hard floor, and they’re not moving on the floor too much at all

well that’s me spent sorry. Presumably you didn’t have the issue prior to choosing this chair and working arrangement (screen, programme, phone hasn’t changed), so must be something to do with the chair setup or vibration as someone else has stated?

well that’s me spent sorry. Presumably you didn’t have the issue prior to choosing this chair and working arrangement (screen, programme, phone hasn’t changed), so must be something to do with the chair setup or vibration as someone else has stated?
Exactly this, and thanks for your help 👍

The meshed seat and the extra micro wobbles it creates compared to my current chair with its fixed, padded seat is my favourite suspected reason so far.

Still some finishing to do but put together now. Desktop made from some leftover oak flooring in the pics and attached to Sanodesk adjustable legs from Amazon. Ower the knot with it.

Woohoo !!!!!!!..............that foot is class (joking...............it is but the desk is fabulous - well done 😘)
Update: been in the new chair all morning and have not felt sick :lol:

So I think it's a keeper.
Brilliant news, gerrup ! :cool:😘 xx

Last edited:
I bought one off Amazon last week. It was about £80. People take the piss at work but I don’t care. My legs and back are starting to hurt too much and I needed to do something about. I love it.

Back