Raising desks / desk risers

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5265

Do any of the SMB use either a raising desk or a desk riser (like this for example)? If so, have you found any benefits.

Just trialling one now and I'm not sure what I think of it TBH. Would be good to hear others' experiences

Do any of the SMB use either a raising desk or a desk riser (like this for example)? If so, have you found any benefits.

Just trialling one now and I'm not sure what I think of it TBH. Would be good to hear others' experiences
A lot of classrooms at work have something similar. Don’t mind them myself and keeps you from sitting on your arse all day but some staff complain about standing all day.

We have mobile desks at work so alternate standing and sitting all day. It's defo better.
Do you find you stand much? I'm trying to get a feel for what the split is between standing and sitting for those who've used them a while.

I've found over the years that I have to get all the ergonomics spot on (desk to eye ratio and distance, ergonomic keyboard, precise chair height etc etc) otherwise I get a raft of RSI symptoms. I'm hoping a desk riser might help.

I don't have any thing so fancy. However in the first few months of WFH, I worked from an office chair of my own and it caused problems with my posture and even triggered IBS ! I then went to having my computer in a spare room with the screen at the correct height and I now stand all the time. I wouldn't go back to a chair. I find I move around more, do more stretching and remember to take breaks. My posture is better and my IBS symptoms have gone.

Could buy an old A0 drawing board and put your laptop on that when you want to stand. Pick them up for next to nowt these days.
I bought an YoYo desk riser on Ebay and am trialling it now. I work on a desktop not a laptop as all day on a laptop messes me up (see the ergonomics comment above).

I did a job for a trading company and about half the desks had one of those.. I'd recooked putting your monitor on a post and make sure you have plenty loose cable as when it rises it will pull from the sockets of too tight.

Aloe you lose the rest of your desk for paperwork.. these don't have much space to put stuff on

Last edited:
Do you find you stand much? I'm trying to get a feel for what the split is between standing and sitting for those who've used them a while.

I've found over the years that I have to get all the ergonomics spot on (desk to eye ratio and distance, ergonomic keyboard, precise chair height etc etc) otherwise I get a raft of RSI symptoms. I'm hoping a desk riser might help.
Much more. I tend to do my thinking sitting down and trading standing up so I'm always hopping on and off.

People also stand at desks. No chairs. It apparently leads to a more business like environment. Phone calls are more focussed and shorter. Meetings done standing up are similar.

We trialled a couple of motorised ones at work. I was very impressed.

One of the lasses in the team lay across it (non-provocatively I might add) and it was actually able to hold her weight and propel her upwards. I had fears that we might burn the motor out and have to explain ourselves but it was up to the job.

We trialled a couple of motorised ones at work. I was very impressed.

One of the lasses in the team lay across it (non-provocatively I might add) and it was actually able to hold her weight and propel her upwards. I had fears that we might burn the motor out and have to explain ourselves but it was up to the job.
You could programme them so all the desks would rise up when the boss walked in forcing the workers to salute him or her obviously.

If you get your ergonomics right with your desk set up, then just taking regular breaks and having a bit of a walk about will be much more beneficial than a desk riser. Sit/stand desks can make a difference, but there are conflicting reports as to how much they do. They encourage you to be in front of that bloody screen for far too long.

Get up regularly, make yourself a drink, and take regular micro breaks even.
You could programme them so all the desks would rise up when the boss walked in forcing the workers to salute him or her obviously.

The last few I bought could all be controlled from an app. I had a good laugh with one of our Partners when I kept making his desk move up and down. He hadn't a clue what the fuck was going on. He's a right laugh anyway but thought his desk was "haunted" :lol:

Last edited:

Back