Rail Seating in the Roker End

Would you be for or against having rail seating/safe standing installed?

• In favour

Votes: 175 93.1%
  • Against

Votes: 13 6.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wouldn’t it be better to do this for 23/24 and make an announcement with ST renewal info that in the allocated sections standing is encouraged so if you want to sit please relocate to a different seat.

Would probably involve some swapping, but logistically it would be better to move everyone out who would be annoyed by it.

The best thing about standing sections is there will be no excuse for standing elsewhere, so old farts like me can sit and not have lads stand in front.

well, not strictly true. i'd say currently the whole back of the south stand regularly stands, from where the family section ends all the way round to the west stand, probably looking at 3000-5000 who regularly stand.

if the new standing area isn't big enough to hold everyone, then it will obviously ease the problem but not solve it.

hopefully they start with the lower of the south stand. meaning the upper parts who are all used to standing can still stand and everyone will be spread out evenly. then see what demand is like from there

Logon or register to see this image

well, not strictly true. i'd say currently the whole back of the south stand regularly stands, from where the family section ends all the way round to the west stand, probably looking at 3000-5000 who regularly stand.

if the new standing area isn't big enough to hold everyone, then it will obviously ease the problem but not solve it.

hopefully they start with the lower of the south stand. meaning the upper parts who are all used to standing can still stand and everyone will be spread out evenly. then see what demand is like from there

But wouldn't the people who already stand in the south stand, just move forward and take those seats anyway? You've got the right blocks, just need the tier behind that.

Safe standing should be in the upper tier. At a practical level, I don't see any way this could be done before the season starts.

Safe standing should be in the upper tier. At a practical level, I don't see any way this could be done before the season starts.

aye i can't see it being done before the end of the coming season. hopefully consultation with the fans over the course of the this season, with a plan in place by early next year, so everyone knows the crack when ST renewals come round. then do the work in pre season next May/June. simple

Standing allows you to breath through your diaphragm instead of your chest, allowing your lungs to fill with more air, therefore making your voice more powerful. Expect the knee booing from the south stand, to be a lot louder next year.

I can diaphragm breathe sitting down no problem. Most people can't do it at all - it took me months of singing lessons to get the technique right.

Wouldn’t it be better to do this for 23/24 and make an announcement with ST renewal info that in the allocated sections standing is encouraged so if you want to sit please relocate to a different seat.

Would probably involve some swapping, but logistically it would be better to move everyone out who would be annoyed by it.

Given we have sold getting on for 30000 seats for the coming season I think it very sensible to monitor what happens elsewhere this next few months and look at 23/24. Given our off the field activities seem to be managed by a handful of people I just wonder whether we currently have the resources to plan it, never mind implement. Chris Waters life won’t be worth living if this happens during a season and he has to sort out all the issues around moving people around …

Last edited:
But wouldn't the people who already stand in the south stand, just move forward and take those seats anyway? You've got the right blocks, just need the tier behind that.

i'd guess that half would move forward (i.e those that don't have STs in back blocks or those who want to move with mates etc..) and loads of people in the back blocks and SWC who are happy standing where they are, will stay in their place. essentially making the entire south stand and SWC a standing end (half of it official, half of it unofficial) - then see what the uptake is like and how people are spread about, what demand is like etc..

if you make the back blocks of the south stand the rail seats, it just makes the area, which is already the most popular section and the most overcrowded, even more popular. you have those front few blocks of the south stand to use, why not spread the people around who want to stand, instead of concentrating them into an area that is already a problem area

Do what Wembley have done, create sections around the concourse with gated screens (gates to auto-open in event of fire) with tickets only usable at turnstiles entering their section. Finally have soft barriers at each section in the bowl using plastic tape with Stewards to prevent people crossing.

Better still why not create wheelchair friendly seating area in one of the stands ? While it might result in a capacity reduction, it would be more than off-set by the capacity increase due to safe standing and would also allow the disabled fans to feel more included in the stadium, rather than being accommodated in the walkways.

There is no capacity increase. There is a still a seat/space - it's just locked upright while the area is used for standing, and down where a game is required to be all seated (eg European matches).

Well I'm only a few rows up from gantry in South and stand up, as all around me do, although at times I do sit. If standing is top of south then it's a bit late for me to move up there. Dunno how they'll work it.

The South Stand lower section is possibly in the best position to be converted to safe standing. The club could quickly suspend further sales of season cards for this section and/or advise fans that this section may be converted for 23-24 season.

It won’t come in this season. It’ll be next season at the earliest.
They could charge an extra £100 per year for a standing season ticket, that way it'll self finance too. That should kill he cost argument.

I would agree for one season. But it wouldn’t cost anymore that a usual stand in the long run, just the initial outlay for the conversion.

Last edited:
So you would think. Some people just don't think we should stand at all, others may just be WUMs or whatever.
Is it ok for people to have a different view to you mate ..just asking!
I can diaphragm breathe sitting down no problem. Most people can't do it at all - it took me months of singing lessons to get the technique right.
We all diaphragm breathe its what creates the negative pressure for the air to flow into the lungs ..we would literally be fecked without it!

Last edited:

Back