Raiders of the Lost Ark - Channel 4 Now

I think they were 180 tapes…. Removing the little black tag so it couldn’t get wiped.

Carefully programming the VCR to catch a late film, then playing back to discover the late news had overrun and the recording stopped right at the important end bit of film….

In the early 1980s I think most of my recordings were to catch the Friday night episodes of Airwolf and/or A-Team
spot on with that memory of the black tag. Would use that for the Christmas big budget films like Empire Strikes Back and Raiders etc. Definitely must have been 180mas the most common but 120 mins were definitely available. 60 mins too I think. Also, if you had the right type of player you could do that thing to double the length of the tape but the quality diminished.

spot on with that memory of the black tag. Would use that for the Christmas big budget films like Empire Strikes Back and Raiders etc. Definitely must have been 180mas the most common but 120 mins were definitely available. 60 mins too I think. Also, if you had the right type of player you could do that thing to double the length of the tape but the quality diminished.
Long play. I still have a Sony dvd player/recorder with a built in hard drive recorder. It has about 8 settings as to recording speed. Quality drops when you go to the super long play or slower. Still fine to watch though.

Unfortunately our first couple of VCR’s didn’t have that feature, I don’t think Videoplus was introduced until the late 1980s?

In fact I remember our first VCR being a bit of a huge beast! The Philips VR2022

One of few early machines that had tapes which could be recorded on both sides, great use of 180min tapes recording six hours total!

But this model lost the battle in the VCR war and it was very difficult getting films for that particular machine.
The last VCR I bought was in '94(Akai) and that didn't have it.
Betamax was the better system but lost out to VHS when they signed a deal with all the major film distributors to put films on their tapes.
There have been several reasons attributed to Betamax's failure but I think that Sony's proprietary shenanigans probably caused it the most damage.

Last edited:

Back