Raich Carter centre pool

Brett

Striker
Any one know why it’s still closed , seen a Facebook saying the council are not allowing it to open as part of COVID recovery program but only pool not open yet

In echo about it today , can’t be arsed to find the link though 😀

edit >

Petition signed

Its really odd though I as it’s the only pool not open, I live near the centre and don’t currently have a car so the aquatic centre is some distance

They had a couple of incidents of the windows being put in while the centre was closed, and glass got in the pool. I think they had a bit of a time sorting it out, but not sure why it’s still closed.

Also, it’s Everyone Active, not the council.

Has to be down to Money and the costs being higher than the revenue , it almost always comes back to £££, waste time trying to swim at silky puma it’s always chocka and a strange set up there

Has to be down to Money and the costs being higher than the revenue , it almost always comes back to £££, waste time trying to swim at silky puma it’s always chocka and a strange set up there
that's what happens when you outsource stuff to the private sector - this country has been obsessed with it since Thatcher and I struggle to think of anything that is better as a result

I started a thread about this very subject last week, and I'm still confused on the subject. Obviously things should be ran as efficiently as can be, but isn't a leisure centre supposed to be a public service first and foremost, so if it doesn't turn a profit, then it is funded by the government for the countless other benefits it brings?

I started a thread about this very subject last week, and I'm still confused on the subject. Obviously things should be ran as efficiently as can be, but isn't a leisure centre supposed to be a public service first and foremost, so if it doesn't turn a profit, then it is funded by the government for the countless other benefits it brings?
Is it a leisure centre or a commercial gym now ?

They had a couple of incidents of the windows being put in while the centre was closed, and glass got in the pool. I think they had a bit of a time sorting it out, but not sure why it’s still closed.

Also, it’s Everyone Active, not the council.
Sounds like they need to invest in a dust pan and brush 😏

I've asked about a hundred times down there, all you get is 'its under review'. Even wrote to my local councilor about it.
From what I've heard, its not even safe to open. Needs work doing to vents on the ceiling and stuff, or something like that. Footy pitches have been a wreck for about four year. Honestly don't think the pool will ever open and the centre itself is on borrowed time. It's a real shame like, I love the place but since it got took over and after the initial revamp, its just been left to ruin. f***ing buckets down collecting water at reception when you go in man. Its a joke.

From what I've heard, its not even safe to open. Needs work doing to vents on the ceiling and stuff, or something like that. Footy pitches have been a wreck for about four year. Honestly don't think the pool will ever open and the centre itself is on borrowed time. It's a real shame like, I love the place but since it got took over and after the initial revamp, its just been left to ruin. f***ing buckets down collecting water at reception when you go in man. Its a joke.

It is. It's exactly what I've been saying. If it was never used prior to covid then no one could complain but it was busy as owt before covid. The pool was always busy, they had loads of different clubs and that, the car park was always rammed you had to park out on the main road. Since it reopened there's been times when my car has been the only one in the car park when I've been doing gym classes . It's a real shame and it's the kids of Hendon and Grangetown who will be disadvantaged most by it

It is. It's exactly what I've been saying. If it was never used prior to covid then no one could complain but it was busy as owt before covid. The pool was always busy, they had loads of different clubs and that, the car park was always rammed you had to park out on the main road. Since it reopened there's been times when my car has been the only one in the car park when I've been doing gym classes . It's a real shame and it's the kids of Hendon and Grangetown who will be disadvantaged most by it
Yeah, my daughter done the AAA Gymnastics every Saturday morning, no sign of that starting again and we use the pool too. Not cheap my membership either.

Yeah, my daughter done the AAA Gymnastics every Saturday morning, no sign of that starting again and we use the pool too. Not cheap my membership either.

There's hardly nowt on. They close at 8 now, used to be 9.30, so they don't even have any classes start any later than 6.30pm .

I'm fully expecting them to start the closure procedures with some statement about it not being used enough

The outdoor pitches can't possibly be used as they are all ripped up and there's bits of it fenced off all over

The cafe has never reopened or the pool

Close at 1 on weekends , even the aquatic centre now shuts early on a weekend,

used to be really busy and loved the adult only swims at 8pm as I always find the aquatic too full
There's hardly nowt on. They close at 8 now, used to be 9.30, so they don't even have any classes start any later than 6.30pm .

I'm fully expecting them to start the closure procedures with some statement about it not being used enough

The outdoor pitches can't possibly be used as they are all ripped up and there's bits of it fenced off all over

The cafe has never reopened or the pool

Close at 1 on weekends , even the aquatic centre now shuts early on a weekend,

used to be really busy and loved the adult only swims at 8pm as I always find the aquatic too full
aye i used to wait till after 8 and have a lovely swim at the raich carter. usually do a gym class 7-8 then the pool was almost empty for an hour. now you can't even do the gym class as they need to building empty by 8 so the last class finishes at 7.15 at the latest. its bonkers man
Shut when everone wants to use it

this is why i think they are doing it on purpose.

they used to have kids clubs on all the time, during term time it was friday night but in the holidays it was during weekdays. there isn't a single thing on this summer

Last edited:
From the outside it looks like it needs a canny bit cash spent on it. Looks in bad shape for a 20 year old building.
aye i used to wait till after 8 and have a lovely swim at the raich carter. usually do a gym class 7-8 then the pool was almost empty for an hour. now you can't even do the gym class as they need to building empty by 8 so the last class finishes at 7.15 at the latest. its bonkers man

this is why i think they are doing it on purpose.

they used to have kids clubs on all the time, during term time it was friday night but in the holidays it was during weekdays. there isn't a single thing on this summer

Sounds like they're just winding it down to close it.

Last edited:

Back