RAF advice

And then what when he leaves the RAF?
Not exactly a "trade for life".
Personal trainer, actor, model, reality tv , male stripper, the list is endless.
Thats the one I meant I think :lol: ..I did alright after I came out I guess... just luckier than others
To be honest, I did 23 years in this trade, now I’m a chemical process technician :lol:

Last edited:

intelligence analyst will certainly give you skills to prepare detailed information and present in clearly

might even get to learn another language

also means actual active deployments if you are assessing targets or threats

intelligence analyst will certainly give you skills to prepare detailed information and present in clearly

might even get to learn another language

also means actual active deployments if you are assessing targets or threats
Not sure you'd actually be deployed anywhere and most likely end up sitting at Northolt

what does he want to do. what interests him. it is his career and it will be a fabulous career as long as he is doing something he has an interest in.

forget about after in civvy street as there will be many jobs open up to him as ex-forces and civvy st may be 30 years away.

I'm currently in. Out of those trades I would pick Intelligence Analyst because that seems the most interesting. There's the prospect of some really interesting postings.

At the end of the day though, let him pick what interests him.
Not sure you'd actually be deployed anywhere and most likely end up sitting at Northolt

There is more to the trade than that. There's intelligence analysts at every station, and within every detachment and theatre working alongside the intelligence officers.

Last edited by a moderator:
PTI out of his current options. Otherwise, if he wants to be an engineer then tell him to stick to his guns and re-test; or, go back to the Careers Office and ask the art of the possible seeing as he only missed out by one mark.

It's not mate. It's utterly shit. Even with the NVQs. It won't lead to becoming an actual Pharmacist.

Depends what you class as shit and how good you are.

Private sector pharmacy is poor pay, rank hours and little benefits.

NHS pharmacy tech can earn up to 36k.

Even if you are cack you'll eventually earn 29k which isn't huge but not an utterly shit salary, decent pension as well.

I'm currently in. Out of those trades I would pick Intelligence Analyst because that seems the most interesting. There's the prospect of some really interesting postings.

At the end of the day though, let him pick what interests him.

There is more to the trade than that. There's intelligence analysts at every station, and within every detachment and theatre working alongside the intelligence officers.
As an older ex RAF shiney arse... Ive actually applied to be a reservist IA... dont think Im fit enough even for a 47 year old!!! (EDIT - knowing some of the scopies and other JTs.. I actually think Im a better representation of an airman these days)

Last edited:
As an older ex RAF shiney arse... Ive actually applied to be a reservist IA... dont think Im fit enough even for a 47 year old!!!

Are all the reservist ones based out of Northolt?

It is the trade that I wish I went for. Seems to be interesting if you like that sort of thing, and there's some good places to go.

Are all the reservist ones based out of Northolt?

It is the trade that I wish I went for. Seems to be interesting if you like that sort of thing, and there's some good places to go.
I think they are mate... not sure if any of them work in London though... reservists I would hazard a guess wont be deployed

I think they are mate... not sure if any of them work in London though... reservists I would hazard a guess wont be deployed

Aye they'll no doubt just act as augmentees whenever a regular is deployed. You never know though, may get the Falklands. ;)

Unless he really goes for it and goes putting out oil well fires etc. What's the likely employment scenario in other countries where they manage Bush fire etc I wonder?

If money is your primary motivator there’s plenty out there. I know a few lads that bailed out and are working in the Middle East and Kazakhstan and shit. I haven’t seen them since they went out but I know one moved his family out there. His wife and kids lasted 2 minutes before returning home. Working in sweltering heat in the middle of nowhere does nowt for me like.

Check if any of them have timed promotion. Iirc Pharmacy Tech used to have that, like the old medical trades did. If there's only one, go for that. Some ground trades now have Direct Entry SNCO, like mine does.

Don't let them corral him into joining as one trade with the promise of switching once he's in. That's bullshit.

Back