Racist Britain

I think many who did use it (in a way not to be offensive) have stopped as they know it could offend.

I used it as a young un, knowing no different, and being surrounded by others who did, but I'd never use it now.
I get what your saying but it's still used widely as you say.Id say in your environment (I think you work in an office) it would never be used.

Depends where you are. In the town centre no, but in some local estate pub? If some black blokes walk in, someone will inevitably make a joke about it.

Where do you live like? Everyone above a certain age says it.
I agree you never hear people under 20 say it .

Depends where you are. In the town centre no, but in some local estate pub? If some black blokes walk in, someone will inevitably make a joke about it.

Where do you live like? Everyone above a certain age says it.
Fairy dairy land.

Not everyone as I have previously said.

You know what I mean. A general acceptance in society, rather than Billy Britain marching round abusing people to their face.
I get what you're trying to say.

I don't think it's necessarily true anymore. Racism has become a lot more complicated over time. It's certainly not as cut and dry as it used to be, it's against the law, I know if I was ever racist at work I'd immediately lose my job, I think it's safe to say we're one of the most tolerant countries on Earth.

Oh I know young people’s attitudes are different now. I’m just constantly amazed that people from the NE post on here and claim that they don’t know people who use it.

Helpful
It's widely used by working class blokes from my experience regardless of their standing in society.

I work in the NE and
I get what you're trying to say.

I don't think it's necessarily true anymore. Racism has become a lot more complicated over time. It's certainly not as cut and dry as it used to be, it's against the law, I know if I was ever racist at work I'd immediately lose my job, I think it's safe to say we're one of the most tolerant countries on Earth.
Whereas everyone is racist at our workplace :lol:
We have another branch in Manchester and their workforce reflects the local population.
People at our place are constantly raising eyebrows whenever one of their “foreigners” is mentioned, remarking that it must be like “working at the United Nations down there”.

I work in the NE and

Whereas everyone is racist at our workplace :lol:
We have another branch in Manchester and their workforce reflects the local population.
People at our place are constantly raising eyebrows whenever one of their “foreigners” is mentioned, remarking that it must be like “working at the United Nations down there”.
:lol: Well you should stop working at the local BNP offices then.

Obviously not acceptable but you'll never truely eradicate racism. I was in a taxi today, greek/turkish driver and you'd think he was a member of the combat 18 the way he was talking about Africans, and this is in Reading.

I still think as a country we do a pretty good job of trying to keep this sort of shit to shoe level.

:lol: Well you should stop working at the local BNP offices then.

Obviously not acceptable but you'll never truely eradicate racism. I was in a taxi today, greek/turkish driver and you'd think he was a member of the combat 18 the way he was talking about Africans, and this is in Reading.

I still think as a country we do a pretty good job of trying to keep this sort of shit to shoe level.
I once met a kid from reading and he said at school it was always blacks and whites vs Asians, never blacks v whites.

I can't understand how it's become offensive,it's like calling an Bloke from Australia an Aussie .Im probs being naive here mind in most people eyes but that's how I honestly see it .
Do people really not see the difference? The difference is that Aussie doesn’t have a long history of being used as a racial slur against Australians (not to mention that the Australians pictured in everyone’s head right now are probably white surfer dudes - descendants of the colonisers - rather than indigenous Australians - the oppressed minority). Compared to the P-word which was used to dehumanise Pakistanis during the colonial era.

A survey for the Guardian revealed

43% of ethnic minorities were overlooked for promotion in a manner that felt unfair (more than twice the proportion of white people)

37% were stopped by the police without good reason

55% mistaken for an employee rather than a customer in shops

34% asked to leave a club, bar or restaurant for no good reason (three times as likely as a white person)

62% reported being stopped going through airport security or customs

The poll also found comprehensive evidence to suggest unconscious bias has a negative effect on the lives of Britain's 8.5m people from minority backgrounds that is not revealed by typical data on racism. For example:

38% had been wrongly suspected of shop lifting (14% of white people)

55% had been treated differently due to their hair or clothes (29% of white people)

Minorities were also twice as likely to have suffered abuse or rudeness from a stranger.

Didn't realise the problem was so bad tbh.

So chippy

Do people really not see the difference? The difference is that Aussie doesn’t have a long history of being used as a racial slur against Australians (not to mention that the Australians pictured in everyone’s head right now are probably white surfer dudes - descendants of the colonisers - rather than indigenous Australians - the oppressed minority). Compared to the P-word which was used to dehumanise Pakistanis during the colonial era.
I understand what your saying but how can the shortening of a name of a country end up offensive .?

Regarding the ill feeling /suspicion towards Pakistani men I’d say that’s at an all time high due to well documented factors ,normal people who normally don’t give a fuck about things like race are becoming bitter towards these communities.

Said it a few times on here ,the uk and the west in general are heading into dark times with racism and distrust on both parts.Many factors being the issue .

I understand what your saying but how can the shortening of a name of a country end up offensive .?
I believe that the British in Pakistan used it as an insult for the native Pakistanis, it wasn’t used by locals as a abbreviated form but rather invented out of malice. Then over the years people used it as a slur which tainted it for anyone who genuinely just saw it as an abbreviation. A few of my Pakistani friends use it as a sort of reclaiming (like with n-word and “queer”) but most agree it’s too tainted by previous racist usage to be worth using.

I believe that the British in Pakistan used it as an insult for the native Pakistanis, it wasn’t used by locals as a abbreviated form but rather invented out of malice. Then over the years people used it as a slur which tainted it for anyone who genuinely just saw it as an abbreviation. A few of my Pakistani friends use it as a sort of reclaiming (like with n-word and “queer”) but most agree it’s too tainted by previous racist usage to be worth using.
That's pretty much the issue in a nutshell.

Aye, mine is as well tbh. Although he doesn't use that term with any malice.

I use to use it all the time. At one point there were three shops in our street so it was just an indicator of which shop you were off to. Now there is just one , so it's just called 'the shop'.

Back