Racist Britain

Areas with massive levels of integration like Bradford have in the past voted in BNP councillors. Sunderland with low levels haven't voted any in. Go figure.
It’s a different thing imho. In places like Bradford there is a resentment due to the numbers and white people feeling they are being marginalised. Up here it’s still a novelty to see a black person in the pub, and people seem happy to use racist words without any actual malice.

Show me the offensive language.

Btw, do you like my new avatar? I changed it just to offend you.
Sorry, what? The post you accused me of being a snowflake in was my stating that people seem to be less worried about expressing offensive opinions these days. I’m not sure what offensive language you want me to show you.

Your avatar doesn’t offend me, dude. Don’t see how or why it would, I have no issue with frogs. Unless it’s from a meme or something, in which case I apologise for wasting your effort by being a bit old.

Sorry.. you said there was institutional racism.

Where? What institutions?

The term "institutional racism" was coined and first used in 1967 by Stokely Carmichael (later known as Kwame Ture) and Charles V. Hamiltonin Black Power: The Politics of Liberation.[2]Carmichael and Hamilton wrote that while individual racism is often identifiable because of its overt nature, institutional racism is less perceptible because of its "less overt, far more subtle" nature. Institutional racism "originates in the operation of established and respected forces in the society, and thus receives far less public condemnation than [individual racism]"

I thought the thread was about non white people.
I don't know how accurate the guardian's poll is and I haven't commented on it. I just take issue with those who like to show how un-racist they are by patronisingly putting Sunderland down as some racist hotspot. Fair enough 2 of them are known wums but it does happen a lot on here. I'm sure you'll now speak out against it next time it happens.

Would that make you feel better?

The term "institutional racism" was coined and first used in 1967 by Stokely Carmichael (later known as Kwame Ture) and Charles V. Hamiltonin Black Power: The Politics of Liberation.[2]Carmichael and Hamilton wrote that while individual racism is often identifiable because of its overt nature, institutional racism is less perceptible because of its "less overt, far more subtle" nature. Institutional racism "originates in the operation of established and respected forces in the society, and thus receives far less public condemnation than [individual racism]"
Ok, so what are these "established and respected forces in the society" that are racist?

So now you're saying they're liars.

It's been suggested Sunderland voted massively in favour of Brexit due to immigration, after they saw it creeping further North and didn't want it happening here.

No im saying the paper is or the people polled are not regular people plucked from the street

Definitely agree there. Look at how many still say darkie or blackie. Or say they are going to have a Chi*kies when ordering a Chinese or call the local newsagents the p*ki shop. Still not great mind and not terms I would use.
Haven't heard anyone use the term P*ki shop for years.

Haven't heard anyone use the term P*ki shop for years.
Ray (the Indian bloke who owns half the shops in Sunderland) calls himself a P*ki. He's known all over Sunderland as P*ki Ray, always has been. It doesn't bother him one bit. Even his wife Kathy says it.

Mind he's also a Black Belt in Karate or some shit so I wouldn't call him it just in case.

Last edited:
Definitely agree there. Look at how many still say darkie or blackie. Or say they are going to have a Chi*kies when ordering a Chinese or call the local newsagents the p*ki shop. Still not great mind and not terms I would use.
Terms used by most of the people I know,I don't think I know any racist people either tbh.Once came against a racist on a train and told him to shut his mouth or I'd bust it for trying to intimidate a Chinese lad and lass.

My dad and his mates still use it all the time.
As do most people in the north east of working class background.

I can't understand how it's become offensive,it's like calling an Bloke from Australia an Aussie .Im probs being naive here mind in most people eyes but that's how I honestly see it .

As do most people in the north east of working class background.

I can't understand how it's become offensive,it's like calling an Bloke from Australia an Aussie .Im probs being naive here mind in most people eyes but that's how I honestly see it .

I think many who did use it (in a way not to be offensive) have stopped as they know it could offend.

I used it as a young un, knowing no different, and being surrounded by others who did, but I'd never use it now.

Back