Racist Britain

dangermows

Striker
A survey for the Guardian revealed

43% of ethnic minorities were overlooked for promotion in a manner that felt unfair (more than twice the proportion of white people)

37% were stopped by the police without good reason

55% mistaken for an employee rather than a customer in shops

34% asked to leave a club, bar or restaurant for no good reason (three times as likely as a white person)

62% reported being stopped going through airport security or customs

The poll also found comprehensive evidence to suggest unconscious bias has a negative effect on the lives of Britain's 8.5m people from minority backgrounds that is not revealed by typical data on racism. For example:

38% had been wrongly suspected of shop lifting (14% of white people)

55% had been treated differently due to their hair or clothes (29% of white people)

Minorities were also twice as likely to have suffered abuse or rudeness from a stranger.

Didn't realise the problem was so bad tbh.

43% of ethnic minorities were overlooked for promotion in a manner that felt unfair (more than twice the proportion of white people)

34% asked to leave a club, bar or restaurant for no good reason (three times as likely as a white person)

The poll also found comprehensive evidence to suggest unconscious bias has a negative effect on the lives of Britain's 8.5m people from minority backgrounds that is not revealed by typical data on racism. For example:

55% had been treated differently due to their hair or clothes (29% of white people)

Minorities were also twice as likely to have suffered abuse or rudeness from a stranger.

It's not.

Needs loads more context to make this anywhere near debatable.

Nice try though. Welcome back.

Also, it cites "29% of white people"

Surely even ethnic minorities can be white - for example Hasidic Jews would more than likely be white, but would still identify as an ethnic minority.

And the following are all subjective and require much much further information:

43% of ethnic minorities were overlooked for promotion in a manner that felt unfair

37% were stopped by the police without good reason - in their opinion

34% asked to leave a club, bar or restaurant for no good reason

62% reported being stopped going through airport security or customs - never seen this happen to a white person

I can't believe these aren't higher.

All of these things have happened to me :lol:

How would you know?

The survey presents those findings, but a white man from the North East disagrees, presumably because your life experience suggests differently. Please....enlighten us as to the day to day experience of ethnic minorities in modern day Britain.

It's a survey based on emotion, not fact.

How do you know I'm white?

How do you know I've never been a minority?

At least it wasn't a f***ing Daily Mail link like he usually posts.

Didn't even post a link this time marra.

What was the Guardian's sample ? Is it shown ?

Can't see them being very objective and I certainly don't believe a lot those figures.

An article intended to sensationalise.

More digging reveals answer were weighted to match proportions of ethnic groups in the population then compared with those of a panel of white respondents. Results are significant as the panel of 1,000 ethnic minorities is much larger than the number of such respondents in a general poll. With ethnic minorities accounting for 13% of the population, only 130 in a general poll would be of minority backgrounds.

I did this a few years ago, it was absolutely mortifying.

In my defence though the Tesco manager was an asian fella in a navy blue suit who had been standing there seconds before, as was the bloke who I mistook for the Tesco manager.

From memory of your posts. I could be horribly wrong, mind. I usually am.

I am white.

Those statements are based on emotions - with no fact or context behind them.

Where I'm sure terrible things happen every day, sadly, this survey is not a reflection of them.

See my point about white jews, above.

I did this a few years ago, it was absolutely mortifying.

In my defence though the Tesco manager was an asian fella in a navy blue suit who had been standing there seconds before, as was the bloke who I mistook for the Tesco manager.
I was once mistaken for a Woolworths employee whilst browsing still in my Costa uniform. I played along and then told the customer they should fuck right off...they stormed off to find my manager as I left the shop giggling childishly.

Back