Racial Bias in US Football (Rugby with pads) concussion claims

taipeisafc

Striker
The NFL has said it will stop settling concussion lawsuits using a race-based formula that assumes black players have a lower level of cognitive function.
America's top-flight football league also pledged to review previous brain injury claims that have been settled via the practice known as race-norming.

The judge overseeing the sprawling settlement deal has tossed out the civil lawsuit, but took the unusual step of calling for a full report on the racial bias allegations.
In its use of race-norming, the league compares a given player's cognitive test scores with the supposed norm for his demographic group. Under the methodology, black players are assumed to possess a lower level of cognitive function than the average white player.

Pretty bad that something like this is still going on in this day and age, thankfully they have agreed to stop using it

Surely, this can't be real . What an insult, it has to be a wind up man .
America was based on eugenics right up until ww2 . There treatment of non white or those with disability was barbaric and institutional . It's no wonder that pockets of it still linger in old procedure.
In the case of the NFL they probably used the logic that all the "clever" positions , quarterbacks etc had white occupants until recently . Never thinking that was socially caused .
Mind we even have people on our own board who believe " whites have more natural leadership qualities " ( which must be cognitive ) when discussing why there are so few black managers.
Same people take bad to it when I point out that's a bit racist .

America was based on eugenics right up until ww2 . There treatment of non white or those with disability was barbaric and institutional . It's no wonder that pockets of it still linger in old procedure.
In the case of the NFL they probably used the logic that all the "clever" positions , quarterbacks etc had white occupants until recently . Never thinking that was socially caused .
Mind we even have people on our own board who believe " whites have more natural leadership qualities " ( which must be cognitive ) when discussing why there are so few black managers.
Same people take bad to it when I point out that's a bit racist .
I'm afraid Merca has gone down in my estimation . I kind of knew they were into eugenics because I read where they examined their kraut prisoners in search of racial differences . All I know about the results were that the master race were on average 5'-6" tall and weighed 8 1/2 stone . They had been dieting like .

I'm afraid Merca has gone down in my estimation . I kind of knew they were into eugenics because I read where they examined their kraut prisoners in search of racial differences . All I know about the results were that the master race were on average 5'-6" tall and weighed 8 1/2 stone . They had been dieting like .
Must have been counting all the Hitler youth and old blokes that were captured back end.
Look up some of the stuff from the 20' s horrific approach to intellectual disability in kids .
Might be wrong but I seem to recall Mr Kellog was a big advocate

Last edited:
Must have been counting all the Hitler youth and old blokes that were captured back end.
Look up some of the stuff from the 20' s horrific approach to intellectual disability in kids .
Might be wrong but I seem to recall Mr Kellog was a big advocate
Aye he was an absolute c*** . A little more surprising is the fact that is that stuff like that was practised in Skandinavia .

The NFL has said it will stop settling concussion lawsuits using a race-based formula that assumes black players have a lower level of cognitive function.
America's top-flight football league also pledged to review previous brain injury claims that have been settled via the practice known as race-norming.

The judge overseeing the sprawling settlement deal has tossed out the civil lawsuit, but took the unusual step of calling for a full report on the racial bias allegations.
In its use of race-norming, the league compares a given player's cognitive test scores with the supposed norm for his demographic group. Under the methodology, black players are assumed to possess a lower level of cognitive function than the average white player.

Pretty bad that something like this is still going on in this day and age, thankfully they have agreed to stop using it

I've seen open discussions that Black people in the US, on a whole, tend to score slightly lower on IQ tests, which brings in the whole "what are they actually measuring and what bias is present"

To have an organisation using that skewed data to justify injury compensation is just awful.

Back