R.I.P. Iain Hesford :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hesford was in goal down Springfield Park, Wigan for the famous mud slide game.

Pretty sure the game ended 2-2 and Iain had the ball booted out of his hands late on to give Wigan a point. The moment was captured on a photo which was shown on the front page of Wise Men Say with the title 'bringing the game into disrepute.'

EDIT: http://www.thestatcat.co.uk/Match.aspx?MatchID=784&LU=S&LUID=109

RIP.

My first away game, aged 10. Watching that from the main stand seats at that age was amazing.

Correct about the ball being kicked out of his hands as well, I had the photo in my scrap book at the time.

Sad news but for the record wasn't he our goalie the season we went into div 3.
He was dreadful that season and I reckon made at least 7 mistakes which all cost us points and ultimately put us into that div for the one and only time.
Not that I hold a grudge mind.

Never seen him play as just before me time but me da said he would wake up in the middle of the night at time screaming 'fuckin Hesford!' Haha. RIP no age that.

Sad news but for the record wasn't he our goalie the season we went into div 3.
He was dreadful that season and I reckon made at least 7 mistakes which all cost us points and ultimately put us into that div for the one and only time.
Not that I hold a grudge mind.

I remember when he fumbled a Leeds free kick from somewhere near the half way line into his net :evil: but could have been a SAFC legend when he saved the penalty against Gillingham, shame Cascarino got the rebound. :evil:

Before my time. RIP Iain

My Dad reckons he was a dreadful goalkeeper.

He wasnt the best like, especially in the relegation season but played an integral part in our promotion the year after

I once shouted some abuse at him from behind the fulwell end goal, he turned round and shouted abuse back and so we had an argument for about 30 seconds as he kept turning round and responding to everything I shouted. This while the game was in play aswell :)

RIP big fella

I remember before the match would kick off and the mascots would take shots at him. When he through the ball back to them, he used to spin it, so when they tried to control it, it bounced in the opposite direction :D

Sad,got his autograph in my book when we used to hang round the main stand players entrance,always stopped and signed all of the young snipes books/programmes.
RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back