Quitting the Drink

Whats your plan to stop? I should cut down as well.
Haven't really worked that out at the moment!
Just decided this morning that I'm sick of waking up feeling like a stool sample with little or no knowledge of what went on last night.
Don't know if I've got the courage to go to AA. Maybe at a later date. Cold turkey atm.

Just decided this morning that I'm sick of waking up feeling like a stool sample with little or no knowledge of what went on last night.
Don't know if I've got the courage to go to AA. Maybe at a later date. Cold turkey atm.
Good luck with it mate but get some support, sure it will make it easier.
You stop.
Maybe offer some advice, not everyone can just stop.

Quitting the Drink as of today! Need advice and or encouragement as I feel like if I don't quit now it's going to spiral out of control.
Genuinely feel like I'm teetering on the edge of the precipice of alcoholism if I don't sort it.

Funnily enough I decided the same thing today. Think I’m going to quit completely.

Downloaded an app called Reframe, it’s definitely worth looking at.

if you're bordering on an alcoholic, cold turkey isn't the way to go. How often do you drink?

if you're bordering on an alcoholic, cold turkey isn't the way to go. How often do you drink?
The last three weeks have been pretty full on, drinking every day until I stumble off to bed or crash on the settee.
Normally I drink only when I'm on dayshift ( 1 week in 3) and weekends.
Therein lies the problem, I feel deprived on the weeks where I'm not drinking so smash it on the days when I can, to ridiculous levels.
Appreciate what you say about cold turkey but trying the 'cutting down ' approach does not work for me, I simply cannot have just a couple of drinks!
Genuinely appreciate your input mate, thank you and I will consider what you say.

As someone else said, for persons who are giving up drinking, if you are alcohol dependant in can be dangerous (giving up drugs is nasty but will never kill you, giving up alcohol can).it's great you have made this decision but do seek some support. There is your gp, AA or other possibly other places depending on where you live. You have taken the first two steps...recognising the problem and deciding to do something about it so well done on that.

The last three weeks have been pretty full on, drinking every day until I stumble off to bed or crash on the settee.
Therein lies the problem, I feel deprived on the weeks where I'm not drinking so smash it on the days when I can, to ridiculous levels.
Appreciate what you say about cold turkey but trying the 'cutting down ' approach does not work for me, I simply cannot have just a couple of drinks!
Genuinely appreciate your input mate, thank you and I will consider what you say.
I'm an all or nothing bloke, one or two pints just doesn't cut it. I wouldn't say im an alcoholic, I just love a good drink.

Remove all the temptations in your life, get rid of any booze in the house, tell your local pub and offy not to sell you any, tell your friends and fsmily to not invite you out, etc etc

I quit about this time last year and not had a drop since. The difference in how well you feel is remarkable after about 2 to 3 weeks. Sleep better, less anxiety, more energy, better mood, no brain fog the next day . As D.A. says, be very careful quitting cold turkey, the risk of seizures is very real. If you feel you are at risk as a heavy drinker dont be embarrassed and see your doctor as they can give you stuff to stop the withdrawal effects.
Get a vitamin called Thiamine, can help a bit in early stages.
I threw myself into sport to keep occupied when I would otherwise be drinking. Anything really, hiking, cycling, swimming, running, gym. If not into sports get a new hobby like reading or photography or something.
Just 1 last tip, I read a book called This Naked Mind by Annie Grace, really good, and an eye opener, and it really changed my mindset when it came to drink.
Good luck marra, if you can do it it will be one of the best things you ever do and so many aspects of your life will improve, even if at the start you may feel you are missing out on something.

Hello mate, I was well I still am a high functioning alcoholic, kept it under warps for years, worked in an industry and with colleagues that turned a blind eye. Got to the point I would be nauseous etc without a drink. Coat me my marriage, a couple jobs (I'd left the afore mentioned industry) and almost every friendship I had. I would have been in a bad way if I'd tried cold turkey, I cut down myself. The drs weren't a great help, the put me onto a counselor but a 30 min phone call once a week didn't really help. I was in a really bad place. Never suicidal but the idea of going to sleep and not waking was always there... even my kids knew and would turn a blind eye to the drinking. Eventually I had a break down I suppose. I'm still not right. I had an amazing g stroke of luck I landed a job where I live away a few nights a week so takes away some tension of normal life but see the kids 2-3 nights a week. I have staff to look after and I won't let them down, ironic really as I let everyone else down... but I do still drink (I manage a bar ironically) but its down from 10-12 pints to about 4 half's. I never drank to get pissed it was more an all day thing to feel normal, sorry if that's a bit of a ramble.

I quit about this time last year and not had a drop since. The difference in how well you feel is remarkable after about 2 to 3 weeks. Sleep better, less anxiety, more energy, better mood, no brain fog the next day . As D.A. says, be very careful quitting cold turkey, the risk of seizures is very real. If you feel you are at risk as a heavy drinker dont be embarrassed and see your doctor as they can give you stuff to stop the withdrawal effects.
Get a vitamin called Thiamine, can help a bit in early stages.
I threw myself into sport to keep occupied when I would otherwise be drinking. Anything really, hiking, cycling, swimming, running, gym. If not into sports get a new hobby like reading or photography or something.
Just 1 last tip, I read a book called This Naked Mind by Annie Grace, really good, and an eye opener, and it really changed my mindset when it came to drink.
Good luck marra, if you can do it it will be one of the best things you ever do and so many aspects of your life will improve, even if at the start you may feel you are missing out on something.
Thank you! Genuinely appreciate the advice! Bought a book by Catherine Gray called 'The Unexpected Joy of Being Sober' goes through her journey from dependency to sobriety. Illuminating to say the least. Love my running and drag my carcass to the gym as often as I can. Think those visits and the miles run are going to increase over the coming weeks!

Thank you! Genuinely appreciate the advice! Bought a book by Catherine Gray called 'The Unexpected Joy of Being Sober' goes through her journey from dependency to sobriety. Illuminating to say the least. Love my running and drag my carcass to the gym as often as I can. Think those visits and the miles run are going to increase over the coming weeks!
do you live in sunderland?

Hello mate, I was well I still am a high functioning alcoholic, kept it under warps for years, worked in an industry and with colleagues that turned a blind eye. Got to the point I would be nauseous etc without a drink. Coat me my marriage, a couple jobs (I'd left the afore mentioned industry) and almost every friendship I had. I would have been in a bad way if I'd tried cold turkey, I cut down myself. The drs weren't a great help, the put me onto a counselor but a 30 min phone call once a week didn't really help. I was in a really bad place. Never suicidal but the idea of going to sleep and not waking was always there... even my kids knew and would turn a blind eye to the drinking. Eventually I had a break down I suppose. I'm still not right. I had an amazing g stroke of luck I landed a job where I live away a few nights a week so takes away some tension of normal life but see the kids 2-3 nights a week. I have staff to look after and I won't let them down, ironic really as I let everyone else down... but I do still drink (I manage a bar ironically) but its down from 10-12 pints to about 4 half's. I never drank to get pissed it was more an all day thing to feel normal, sorry if that's a bit of a ramble.

do you live in sunderland?
No mate, Durham!
Thanks mate,
Looking at your experiences I'm probably on the cusp of where you were.
Thank you for your input, genuinely appreciate it!

Last edited:

Back