Quinn and a Chinese Consortium

How do you figure mate? He had very successful goes at it with Wigan in Wilson P and Valencia and tried to recreate it here. I don't think anyone would say the two he got were poor players, just not particularly suited to the prem, I think they would have been more successful at a club like Wigan.
We were playing in the PL at the time we signed them though.
Paul Jewell signed Valencia.
Stories abound of the dildo twins having more to do with Brums loaning of Palacios than Bruce.

We were playing in the PL at the time we signed them though.
Paul Jewell signed Valencia.
Stories abound of the dildo twins having more to do with Brums loaning of Palacios than Bruce.

Good points :lol:.

I still think they may have been a success at other clubs and were well worth the gamble at the very small prices.

We should only be gambling once we've got a full team of PL quality players imho.

Completely agree that would be ideal. But at the time... well you get my opinion, I don't think it was a bad choice let alone sack able just didn't work out. The other 2 went for a crazy profit, our two went for a small loss, win some lose some.

Quinn knew there was something amiss. His public statements at the time made it clear. Things were going as well as ever on the pitch at the exact point Quinn reached his most dramatic:

March 2010:

Niall Quinn has revealed the extraordinary £100million gamble Sunderland are taking to reach the Premier League top ten.

Owner Ellis Short is bankrolling a spectacular spending splurge with his own cash – as the club admit they are “living beyond their means” for a couple of seasons to relaunch the club in the big time.

October 2010:

"To continue making progress we need more people here," Quinn said.

"We have made decent start, look like we are beginning to get to grips with our away form, have a good home record and have invested significantly in the team.

"Who knows where all this may lead to but our ambition is clear and the simple fact is that the more people we have with us the stronger we are."

December 2011:

“Ellis would not have come here if we had 18,000 fans every week," Quinn said. "People say, ‘Why is he here?’ It's the potential which is why he’s putting all this money in; he wants the asset to grow and he feels in five to ten years that the asset will be worth far more than it would if he had just let it go. He feels it will be good value in time, especially with the way the world [television] rights are going.

"We have to be realistic and it would be a shame to start downsizing. But I wouldn't be doing my job if I recommended that we should be paying big sums for players and the people weren't supporting the club.

"I know through my time as a player that you do better with bigger houses and it's a better occasion all-round. I thought if we were in the top half of the Premier League, we would be getting crowds well into the 40,000s. The reality is we are in the mid-30s.

"I don't want to alarm people but, for me, there are a few question marks. I'm not saying we are perfect, but I always thought I could rely on the support of a massive crowd."

February 2011:

"Our attendances are down for a couple of reasons and I would never criticise anyone who doesn't come to the stadium because of financial constraints but I despise those who spend far more than the price of a ticket watching some overseas commentator describing the action.

The sales of Bent, Henderson, Gyan, etc followed immediately after this period. From that point on Short has been experimenting with various systems involving signing 2nd rate players, with little success, and Quinn was fucked off / left shortly after that as well.

I'm certain he could see what lay ahead.

Said this before, but I get the feeling Quinny left here disappointed. I think he thought a bit of spending and the days of 45,000+ crowds every other week would return. What he didn't appreciate is that our 'golden' period under Reid was a high watermark for our attendances. Personally, I don't foresee those days returning for a long long time, if indeed at all.

Completely agree that would be ideal. But at the time... well you get my opinion, I don't think it was a bad choice let alone sack able just didn't work out. The other 2 went for a crazy profit, our two went for a small loss, win some lose some.

The thing is we've spent more than enuff to have a top quality PL standard player in every position over ESs reign.

I bet if he could start over he'd channel it into 11 top players and say fuck this supermarket sweep dash approach of flinging shit at the wall hoping some of it sticks. Of course he'd nivver admit that selling the few top top players we've had (Henderson, Bent, Gyan...) to fund the panic buying of shite was a mistake that could've been foreseen........but a few trolls through the history of this place will reveal that to be bollocks.

We've had enuff ower the last ten years to have done it and learnt from it. Get A first XI of quality PL players (Defoe, bent, Henderson, Kone, Pickford etc) and make up the squad with bosuns (anichebe, reveillere etc), academy graduates (Waghorn, Colback, gooch etc) and gambles (the ginger roadrunner kid whose name escapes me again, Meyler, ndong, Alfie, Murphy etc).
A first XI if top quality players will be good enuff to help the squaddies through their appearances. The problems are created by having 90% of the squad composed of players who should really be only on the bench.

Will this owner ever learn? It doesn't look like it. Will the next one is the more pertinent question.

The thing is we've spent more than enuff to have a top quality PL standard player in every position over ESs reign.

I bet if he could start over he'd channel it into 11 top players and say fuck this supermarket sweep dash approach of flinging shit at the wall hoping some of it sticks. Of course he'd nivver admit that selling the few top top players we've had (Henderson, Bent, Gyan...) to fund the panic buying of shite was a mistake that could've been foreseen........but a few trolls through the history of this place will reveal that to be bollocks.

We've had enuff ower the last ten years to have done it and learnt from it. Get A first XI of quality PL players (Defoe, bent, Henderson, Kone, Pickford etc) and make up the squad with bosuns (anichebe, reveillere etc), academy graduates (Waghorn, Colback, gooch etc) and gambles (the ginger roadrunner kid whose name escapes me again, Meyler, ndong, Alfie, Murphy etc).
A first XI if top quality players will be good enuff to help the squaddies through their appearances. The problems are created by having 90% of the squad composed of players who should really be only on the bench.

Will this owner ever learn? It doesn't look like it. Will the next one is the more pertinent question.
Hang about!
Who provided the money for bent in the first place?
When drumaville left there was almost 60m of debt left behind from keane plus the liability of the high wages on the shit he left behind.
Short financed cattermole and bent and allowed bruce to bring in seb.
There was no money otherwise.
Yes bent left and we brought in gyan who wanted away.
We wasted money he pumped in.
O'neill came in and we proceeded to waste another 40m that we didn't have but which short provided.
Its not just the fees for these players its the wages which are usually bigger.
But all of this is shorts fault.
How do you work that out?
The managers are all blameless?

Hang about!
Who provided the money for bent in the first place?
When drumaville left there was almost 60m of debt left behind from keane plus the liability of the high wages on the shit he left behind.
Short financed cattermole and bent and allowed bruce to bring in seb.
There was no money otherwise.
Yes bent left and we brought in gyan who wanted away.
We wasted money he pumped in.
O'neill came in and we proceeded to waste another 40m that we didn't have but which short provided.
Its not just the fees for these players its the wages which are usually bigger.
But all of this is shorts fault.
How do you work that out?
The managers are all blameless?
I nivver blamed Short.
I meant youd insist on a different policy if you could turn back the clock. I'm aware SAFC have wasted your money.

Just to let you lot know this is not bullshit, it is in part very true, an ex SAFC FA cup winner put Quinny in touch with these guy's and talks were held in London about 6 weeks ago.
It went no further than talks, as it was deemed not in the clubs best interest and the new offer had already started it's due diligence.
Sorry but Billy Bob was right.
and this info came from the FA cup winners own mouth last week.

Just to let you lot know this is not bullshit, it is in part very true, an ex SAFC FA cup winner put Quinny in touch with these guy's and talks were held in London about 6 weeks ago.
It went no further than talks, as it was deemed not in the clubs best interest and the new offer had already started it's due diligence.
Should have changed the Robbie bit bud, too obvious that you are indeed billy bob. A very amateur attempt at retrieving your main accounts reputation which has in fact backfired, now perhaps log in as William the conk or something not linked to billy bob, that would work! Oh wait..

Should have changed the Robbie bit bud, too obvious that you are indeed billy bob. A very amateur attempt at retrieving your main accounts reputation which has in fact backfired, now perhaps log in as William the conk or something not linked to billy bob, that would work! Oh wait..
i ain't no Billy Bob that's for sure. do more homework mate.

Guys ?? Haway Bob man

Back