Quinn and a Chinese Consortium

Quinn did not spend well here, whether it be with the Irish consortium and Keane, or Short and Bruce. He arguably forced the consortium to sell and set the wheels in motion to our current plight in his role as chairman and I for one wouldn't want him to take up the role ever again. Call it airing on the side of caution.
no no no mate sorry thats not correct
the consortium did not and were not forced to sell they were approached via a company from Glasgow who acted for Ellis Short that is how it started
The shit came when Quinn was being forced into a corner over A DEAL BEING DONE by Ellis and his intended CEO behind his back. that intended CEO never came, a Swiss guy i understand, then came glad rags mags the rest is history.

Last edited:

Quinn knew there was something amiss. His public statements at the time made it clear. Things were going as well as ever on the pitch at the exact point Quinn reached his most dramatic:

March 2010:

Niall Quinn has revealed the extraordinary £100million gamble Sunderland are taking to reach the Premier League top ten.

Owner Ellis Short is bankrolling a spectacular spending splurge with his own cash – as the club admit they are “living beyond their means” for a couple of seasons to relaunch the club in the big time.

October 2010:

"To continue making progress we need more people here," Quinn said.

"We have made decent start, look like we are beginning to get to grips with our away form, have a good home record and have invested significantly in the team.

"Who knows where all this may lead to but our ambition is clear and the simple fact is that the more people we have with us the stronger we are."

December 2011:

“Ellis would not have come here if we had 18,000 fans every week," Quinn said. "People say, ‘Why is he here?’ It's the potential which is why he’s putting all this money in; he wants the asset to grow and he feels in five to ten years that the asset will be worth far more than it would if he had just let it go. He feels it will be good value in time, especially with the way the world [television] rights are going.

"We have to be realistic and it would be a shame to start downsizing. But I wouldn't be doing my job if I recommended that we should be paying big sums for players and the people weren't supporting the club.

"I know through my time as a player that you do better with bigger houses and it's a better occasion all-round. I thought if we were in the top half of the Premier League, we would be getting crowds well into the 40,000s. The reality is we are in the mid-30s.

"I don't want to alarm people but, for me, there are a few question marks. I'm not saying we are perfect, but I always thought I could rely on the support of a massive crowd."

February 2011:

"Our attendances are down for a couple of reasons and I would never criticise anyone who doesn't come to the stadium because of financial constraints but I despise those who spend far more than the price of a ticket watching some overseas commentator describing the action.

The sales of Bent, Henderson, Gyan, etc followed immediately after this period. From that point on Short has been experimenting with various systems involving signing 2nd rate players, with little success, and Quinn was fucked off / left shortly after that as well.

I'm certain he could see what lay ahead.

the consortium did not and were not forced to sell they were approached via a company from Glasgow who acted for Ellis Short that is how it started
The shit came when Quinn was being forced into a corner over A DEAL BEING DONE by Ellis and his intended CEO behind his back. that intended CEO never came, a Swiss guy i understand, then came glad rags mags the rest is history.
if you think Quinny is good at business check out his satellite business just lost £288,000 in a deal with an African country to supply satellite broadband in the bush he got dumped when it kept failing i dare not tell you the reason why it failed you would piss yer self
think Sun Shine that's a clue

if you think Quinny is good at business check out his satellite business just lost £288,000 in a deal with an African country to supply satellite broadband in the bush he got dumped when it kept failing i dare not tell you the reason why it failed you would piss yer self

You're like if the Enigma machine ran on ketamine.

Probably the first time in his life he's invested his own money.

Well that's the first time I've heard that version.

Quinn knew there was something amiss. His public statements at the time made it clear. Things were going as well as ever on the pitch at the exact point Quinn reached his most dramatic:

March 2010:

Niall Quinn has revealed the extraordinary £100million gamble Sunderland are taking to reach the Premier League top ten.

Owner Ellis Short is bankrolling a spectacular spending splurge with his own cash – as the club admit they are “living beyond their means” for a couple of seasons to relaunch the club in the big time.

October 2010:

"To continue making progress we need more people here," Quinn said.

"We have made decent start, look like we are beginning to get to grips with our away form, have a good home record and have invested significantly in the team.

"Who knows where all this may lead to but our ambition is clear and the simple fact is that the more people we have with us the stronger we are."

December 2011:

“Ellis would not have come here if we had 18,000 fans every week," Quinn said. "People say, ‘Why is he here?’ It's the potential which is why he’s putting all this money in; he wants the asset to grow and he feels in five to ten years that the asset will be worth far more than it would if he had just let it go. He feels it will be good value in time, especially with the way the world [television] rights are going.

"We have to be realistic and it would be a shame to start downsizing. But I wouldn't be doing my job if I recommended that we should be paying big sums for players and the people weren't supporting the club.

"I know through my time as a player that you do better with bigger houses and it's a better occasion all-round. I thought if we were in the top half of the Premier League, we would be getting crowds well into the 40,000s. The reality is we are in the mid-30s.

"I don't want to alarm people but, for me, there are a few question marks. I'm not saying we are perfect, but I always thought I could rely on the support of a massive crowd."

February 2011:

"Our attendances are down for a couple of reasons and I would never criticise anyone who doesn't come to the stadium because of financial constraints but I despise those who spend far more than the price of a ticket watching some overseas commentator describing the action.

The sales of Bent, Henderson, Gyan, etc followed immediately after this period. From that point on Short has been experimenting with various systems involving signing 2nd rate players, with little success, and Quinn was fucked off / left shortly after that as well.

I'm certain he could see what lay ahead.
Who was responsible for bringing in Bruce at a time when we could and should have had a better manager?

The McCartney saga should've set the bells ringing.
It was mentioned on here at the time that getting money for a player who'd been talking of quitting the game altogether was a masterstroke..... but to then resign him for double the amount! I wasn't the only one on here to claim it as a sacking offence for all concerned.
Bruce's South American dealings........another sacking offence for all concerned.

How do you figure mate? He had very successful goes at it with Wigan in Wilson P and Valencia and tried to recreate it here. I don't think anyone would say the two he got were poor players, just not particularly suited to the prem, I think they would have been more successful at a club like Wigan.

NO MATE i am fortunate to work in the industry and speak to people in the know and i pass on what i think might interest SAFC fans
I appreciate what you post MADBOB.

What this a football related deal?

So does anyone actually know what the current state of play is with respect to Ellis selling the club?

E.g. several interested parties but they don't want a championship club / happy with championship club but waiting to get it cheaper once relegated etc.

@haway you will be interested in this.

Back