Question re Cokin Fliters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been considering buying a set of these for a while but I'm not sure what I need.

They say on their web site that the A series works with diameters up to 62mm and the P series up to 82mm.

It might be a stooopid question but will the P series work with a 58mm diameter lens.

I wouldn't want to have to buy both to cover my 58mm and 67mm lenses.

I have loads of filters but they are rarely used except the polariser and the skylight.

I found this though - the cokin Z series (next up from P series)

"I would go for the Z Series or the 100mm – basically this means you can use any of the Lee/Cokin/HiTech/Kood in the same adaptor."

any good?

Seconded. No comparison. I've tried Kood, Hi-Tech and Cokin in an attempt to find something less expensive to replace my badly abused Lees but there is simply no contest.

"I would go for the Z Series or the 100mm – basically this means you can use any of the Lee/Cokin/HiTech/Kood in the same adaptor."

any good?

Yeees, but you could argue that you should only go for a 100mm filter if you were using a larger object glass wideangle lens like the Canon 17-40, which has a 77mm object. if you're not shooting something that big and not using wideangle then a 100mm filter is possibly an unnecessary expense - with the caveat that the Lees should always be the first choice if you can afford them and they're 100mm.

Seconded. No comparison. I've tried Kood, Hi-Tech and Cokin in an attempt to find something less expensive to replace my badly abused Lees but there is simply no contest.

Yeees, but you could argue that you should only go for a 100mm filter if you were using a larger object glass wideangle lens like the Canon 17-40, which has a 77mm object. if you're not shooting something that big and not using wideangle then a 100mm filter is possibly an unnecessary expense - with the caveat that the Lees should always be the first choice if you can afford them and they're 100mm.

Personally I think it's a totally false economy not to afford them. People spend thousands on the cameras and then stick a bit of plastic shit like cokin in front of it

I hardly dare tell you though... the waiting list in the UK is about 3 months at the moment

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I think it's a totally false economy not to afford them. People spend thousands on the cameras and then stick a bit of plastic shit like cokin in front of it

Totally agree. And don't get me started on bleeding UV and Skylight filters :D

I hardly dare tell you though... the waiting list in the UK is about 3 months at the moment

They made an announcement recently stating that they're actually going to start increasing production, having made an agreement with a Chinese firm who'll do the extra production for them. Whether they get anything near the quality of the current stuff remains to be seen.

Totally agree. And don't get me started on bleeding UV and Skylight filters :D

They made an announcement recently stating that they're actually going to start increasing production, having made an agreement with a Chinese firm who'll do the extra production for them. Whether they get anything near the quality of the current stuff remains to be seen.

They do quality control in Andover already though, as they buy in Hoya polarizers and rebrand them as Lee

80% are rejected. So I'm sure the quality will be there... Be interesting to see how many they reject from China! It's a skilled trade dipping them

I think all the filters, certainly the grads are still hand-dipped into the dye

They do quality control in Andover already though, as they buy in Hoya polarizers and rebrand them as Lee

Very interesting. Thanks for that. It's worth knowing that in Lee's opinion Hoya are capable of producing good kit. I rated my expensive Hoya CPL very highly until I dropped it into a river a couple of years ago and have never been happy with the false economies I made subsequently when buying cheaper replacements. Time to think again until I can afford the Lee 105mm monster.

Very interesting. Thanks for that. It's worth knowing that in Lee's opinion Hoya are capable of producing good kit. I rated my expensive Hoya CPL very highly until I dropped it into a river a couple of years ago and have never been happy with the false economies I made subsequently when buying cheaper replacements. Time to think again until I can afford the Lee 105mm monster.

Yeah, do Hoya produce 105mm pols for themselves? I've never bothered looking. That would be one economy you could maybe make - it's a Lee Polarizer with a few flaws!

Dunno if I was supposed to reveal that fact. Let's keep it to the SMB :lol:

What is wrong with skylight filters? I have Skylight (think Hoya) on all my lenses, rather scratch a easily replaceable filter than an expensive lens.

At best it's an unnecessary bit of glass or plastic. Everything you put in front of the lens (and even lenses with too many bits of glass in them!) degrade image quality to some extent

At worst it could be made by Cokin ;)

At best it's an unnecessary bit of glass or plastic. Everything you put in front of the lens (and even lenses with too many bits of glass in them!) degrade image quality to some extent

At worst it could be made by Cokin ;)
I agree but isn't the skylight just causing negligible degradation to the image? And lenses would get scratched even if just superficially hence degrading image quality surely? Better a skylight and no scratches on your lens?

My skylights are glass. But they are old.

I agree but isn't the skylight just causing negligible degradation to the image? And lenses would get scratched even if just superficially hence degrading image quality surely? Better a skylight and no scratches on your lens?

My skylights are glass. But they are old.

Appreciate you're worried about the lenses, but I throw around very expensive lenses without skylights most days, and they don't get scratched

Why not just take the filter off when you're shooting?

I was going to say good idea! But I can forget to take the lens cap off! :oops:

:lol: Dinna bother with a lens cap if you've got one of those filters on Peachy

You could regard them like foolproof version of the lens cap ;)

I don't use SLRs, so leaving lens caps on is actually a big danger for me...

Answer - I never use them. My last one went down a stream into Buttermere in 2003

:lol: Dinna bother with a lens cap if you've got one of those filters on Peachy

You could regard them like foolproof version of the lens cap ;)
I got all my gear in Hong Kong, I was young and gullible (perhaps) I listened to the guy who was selling to me and bought on the strength of what he told me. (I had done some research first but was upgrading from an Olympus trip, and didn't know that much about lenses etc). So I bought skylights for the lenses. To be fair to the guy though everything sold to me is still going well 28 years later. Probably need to give the camera a clean now, and I put a new strap on it last year as the old one was so rank it was embarrassing to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back