Question For Plasterers (thrill seekers - there's nothing here for you)

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

schmuck

Why when you're ripping your house to bits do you find some plaster or plasterboard has string mesh on the room side of it (which makes it very difficult to remove :evil:) What's the purpose of it and where/what situations is it used?

Why when you're ripping your house to bits do you find some plaster or plasterboard has string mesh on the room side of it (which makes it very difficult to remove :evil:) What's the purpose of it and where/what situations is it used?

It's the tape they use to cover the joints I think, put a bit of effort in you puff.

I am class at ripping rooms apart.

It's called scrim and it's to seal the joints and edges to give you a nice smooth finish from wall to wall.
It's made of fibreglass so don't go pulling at it with your fingers, get a chisel behind the plaster and lop the fucker off or if it's just the tape cut it with a stanley knife..

It's called scrim and if you can't rip that out maybe your lass should be doing the job. :roll:

If you're taliking about self adhesive plasterboard joint tape - that's not what I'm talking about. This stuff seems to be embedded in the browning and is 'string' like what joints of topside come in (but tougher) and seriously hampering my howking off the plasterboard from stud walls.

Put it this way, the stringy shite won't be going back on ;)

If you're taliking about self adhesive plasterboard joint tape - that's not what I'm talking about. This stuff seems to be embedded in the browning and is 'string' like what joints of topside come in (but tougher) and seriously hampering my howking off the plasterboard from stud walls.

Put it this way, the stringy shite won't be going back on ;)

If its old stuff it will be hessien, it's what they used before scrim came along.

Is it a timber frame house? could be the vapour barrier :eek:

or it could be netting to hold in the insulation before the wall was tacked.

Last edited:
I thought all plasterboard has a lining of mesh, very light mesh though

Is it a timber frame house? could be the vapour barrier :eek:

or it could be netting to hold in the insulation before the wall was tacked.

It's a brick house but upstairs has, so far as I've noticed, has all stud walls. When I did some building work downstairs a couple of years ago the same stuff (hessien string mesh) was in the kitchen ceiling plasterboard which I noticed when the builder removed a partion breeze block wall. The reason I'm asking I s'pose is because you don't see this stuff when buying plasterboard now (or am I wrong)

It's a brick house but upstairs has, so far as I've noticed, has all stud walls. When I did some building work downstairs a couple of years ago the same stuff (hessien string mesh) was in the kitchen ceiling plasterboard which I noticed when the builder removed a partion breeze block wall. The reason I'm asking I s'pose is because you don't see this stuff when buying plasterboard now (or am I wrong)

I use it everyday mate, but if you've had a decent plaster you shouldn't be able to see it until you want to rip it out, as a rule of thumb the thickness you need to cover it is the thickness of the skim for the whole area.

Think yourself lucky its not old lats and plaster like mine, what a f***ing mess ripping that bastard out of last house. :oops:

I use it everyday mate, but if you've had a decent plaster you shouldn't be able to see it until you want to rip it out, as a rule of thumb the thickness you need to cover it is the thickness of the skim for the whole area.

I'm ripping out the old drywall and fitting new ones in the bathroom. I'll be using adhesive (silicon or whatever) to attach bathroom panels to the new drywall. Is there any point in having the drywall skimmed with browning before I do this? After all it'll be hidden ? I'm in the process of screwing the drywall to the stud wall frame and was just thinking about taping the joints, applying some mix to the joints, sanding and fixing the final panels.

Think yourself lucky its not old lats and plaster like mine, what a f***ing mess ripping that bastard out of last house. :oops:

And what a fuck on if you want it redoing the same.
Laths and plaster, making sure you get the right amount to mushroom but not too much to drop off, it's no wonder plasterboard was invented but we still get a lot round here that want it doing the old way.
One of the bonuses of going to college and learning the old techniques, not many people can do it these days.

I'm ripping out the old drywall and fitting new ones in the bathroom. I'll be using adhesive (silicon or whatever) to attach bathroom panels to the new drywall. Is there any point in having the drywall skimmed with browning before I do this? After all it'll be hidden ? I'm in the process of screwing the drywall to the stud wall frame and was just thinking about taping the joints, applying some mix to the joints, sanding and fixing the final panels.

Sounds like half a job to me, will need ripping out again in a couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back